Kitchen Tips + Tricks

QUICK TIP: DISPLAYING BOWLS

bowls stacked

My mom gave me this set of vintage Pyrex mixing bowls a while back, and I’ve been wanting to display them in our glass cabinets. The only problem is, being up on a high shelf, you can’t see all three bowls or the aqua blue retro-looking detailing very well. And ya’ll know how I love a good “Martha blue” accent. I needed to find a solution.

So, I went to Michaels and picked up two blocks of green StyrofoamΒ – the kind you use for floral arrangements. Two micro-seconds later…Β Bada bing bada boom!Β I didn’t even bother unwrapping the Styrofoam because otherwise, it would eventually flake off and make a mess.

By adding the Styrofoam blocks, not only do you get to see the retro detailing, but it also adds height and more visual weight to this section of the cabinet. It’s an easy fix, and it solves two problems at once!Β Holla.

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    March 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

GENIUS!

Kody
    March 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

Great idea for displaying those bowls! So funny, I used to dispise anything that wasn’t new or modern but I’ve slowly come around and like the mix of different vintage and modern pieces.

On a different note, where are those cute petal bowls from? I’m in love!

March 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thanks! They’re from Pier1 Imports. I couldn’t find them online, but they do have a bunch of cute dishes right now (here)! They might have them in store. Hope you can find them!

Carrie
    March 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

I love that pattern of Pyrex πŸ™‚ I have the same set, but a mix of the blue with white print and the white with blue print. It looks great displayed like that..

Wren
    March 27, 2012 at 11:23 am

I have so much pyrex that they all have to nestled inside of each other due to lack of room. πŸ™ When I had less and would display them I’d use the old corningware mugs to boost them up…they worked well. Anywho, I’m new to your blog and I clicked on your house tour and I knew you lived in Richmond the moment I saw your house, lol…funny how that works. I’m in the city between Monument and Paterson near Malvern! Small world.

Robin @ Our Semi Organic Life
    March 27, 2012 at 11:54 am

Love the bowls! But in my cheapness I think why not just use balled up newspaper, or some spare cardboard or rags or anything besides buying something that you’ll never see anyway. ps. love the blog!

March 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks : ) Good idea!

Lori H
    March 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm

PRETTY!

Holly
    March 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Incredible, genius idea! This is a pin for Pinterest if there ever was one…

The bowls are beautiful!

harlie
    March 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Such a wonderfully simple solution! I’ll have to use that with my nesting bowls.

Lori
    March 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Brilliant! I love that you have bowls stacked on the shelf right under it also.

KJ and Co.
    March 27, 2012 at 8:21 pm

smart move! thanks for sharing

Amanda
    March 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm

This is a super weird question but how many plates do you have in your set? I’m buying all new plates (and giving all mine away — I want all white), and I was thinking either 8 or 12, but I can’t decide.

March 27, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Not a weird question! We have 13, haha. I was going for 12, but I picked up an extra just in case. Even though our dining room table only seats 8, it’s always good to have extra on hand — and you can use the extras for small serving pieces if needed. I would definitely go with 12 : )

Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds
    March 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

That’s so clever! I love the bowls too.

Hope
    April 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm

At work we use ramekins to pop the bowls up. You can get different heights if the bowls are deeper. For larger bowls I usually flip the ramekins upside down.