Ashley's Office Shopping + Thrifting

WELDING GUN, ANYONE?

Last time we talked about my office, we made plans for “the wall with the window” including functionality and storage furniture options…

At the time, the office looked like a hot mess…

These days, it’s looking like a semi-empty, a tad less of a hot mess…

Knowing we’d be in the market for a new desk eventually, we went ahead and donated it along with the two small hutches. We also moved the small thrift table to another room in the house (it’s currently floating between the guest room and Greg’s office), and we put the second orangish/redish chair in our “holding room” (aka Greg’s office). So now the room is feeling more and more like a clean slate. Yep, and I’m oh so pleased to say that we finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Craft Space Storage Cabinet and a Eight-Drawer Flat-File Cabinet by Martha Stewart Living in addition to a matching hutch to go on top of the Flat-File Cabinet:

martha stewart craft furniture

Even though they took forever to put together, I’m really happy with them! Like, really, really happy. They are solid as a rock and there seems to be a place for everything – even a perfect-sized compartment for legal pads! And Sharpies!!! Oh, Martha, you do know the ways to my heart. And check out how DEEP these drawers are…

martha stewart craft furniture drawers inside

So you can get an idea of how big the drawers are, those are full-sized legal pads.

The major thing that sold us on these were the extra deep flat file drawers. They are the perfect width for storing the destination prints we sell over in our Etsy store and have proved to come in very handy when keeping everything organized. When we get a new order, we know right where everything is and how many we have of each print.

drawer inside

I haven’t even begun to fill up the furniture, which is awesome! When I do, I’ll be sure to give you guys a “behind closed drawers Cribs edition” post.

Now that the big storage pieces are in place, it’s a lot easier to see the vision for the rest of the room. The plan I sketched out before we bought the storage furniture (the first photo of this post) is still on the to-do list, just reversed (the tall piece will be on the right and the shorter piece will be on the left). As for my desk, I’ve had a doozy of a time trying to figure out where to put it. Do I put it on the same wall as the door to the kitchen, or on the outside wall so my back is to the dining room, our out in the middle of the room… or on the ceiling. I want to have a comfy working area, with lots of space to spread out whatever I’m working on while having optimal storage. After a lot of brainstorming, pinning, and bouncing ideas off my mom (yes, I’m a mamma’s girl), I think I’ve finally settled on a floorplan that will meet all my needs and wants…

Now that I look at it, I think, “Duh, that’s how this office was meant to be laid out.” I just wish it hadn’t taken me so long to figure it out, haha! If that wasn’t enough revelation, I then came across this photo on Pinterest:

Done deal. Now if I can only make an awesome metal desk like that! Hmm… I should totally take up welding ; )

By the way, a big congratulations to the top 6 Homie nominees for Best Home Design Blog: Bower Power, Centsational Girl, Chezerbey, Manhattan Nest, Retro Renovation and The Lettered Cottage! Voting ends this Friday, so be sure to head on over to Apartment Therapy and cast your vote!

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    March 5, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m not really big on white furniture these days, but I can’t wait to see how your office evolves. Do you both work from home?

March 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

Nope, just I : )

Britney
    March 5, 2012 at 10:51 am

The office already looks so much more productive! Can’t wait to see what desk you end up with…
    PS: You’re sketches are so cute!

Hannah
    March 5, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh wow! Talk about massive storage capabilities! I love the picket fence white. It will blend well with your kitchen. The expedit shelving will look great in there. Great start!

Cortney
    March 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’m in love with those cube shelves…which is why I bought the entertainment center that matches that from ikea.

LOVE that storage you got. now if I can just get something like it for my sewing notions…

go Chezerby! 🙂

PAppel
    March 5, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Just a couple of suggestions . . .
    Have you looked at Home Decorators? They have a similar to your inspiration desk?
    West Elm also has a metal parsons-style desk.

March 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Yeah, it looked at Home Decorators and none of the “rustic modern” desks were long enough – same with the metal Parsons desk at West Elm. Such a bummer because I love that desk! I have my eye on a few more that miiiiiiight work out. Maybe… haha. We shall see! : )

Norma
    March 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh. My. GOD. I’m in love with those drawers! They totally appeal to my particular brand of a-place-for-everything-and-everything-in-its-place mania. And your red/orange chair? Exactly what I was looking for, for my own home office. I’m so jealous right now, hehe.

Loving your office so far, and looking forward to see how it all comes together!

March 5, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Thanks! Do you have a Home Goods in your area? I know all Home Goods are different but ours carries these chairs all the time in different colors (that’s where I got these).

Norma
      March 6, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Unfortunately, no, as I’m not in the US. I’ll just have to keep looking! 🙂

Katie
    March 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Aww thanks Ashley for the Homies shout-out – isn’t it absurd that I’m in the finals?! I totally see someone like you winning that bad boy 🙂
    xo – kb

March 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Oh goodness, no! LOL You’re in the right place for sure! : )

Kate
    March 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Where are your reddish/orange chairs from? They are adorable!

March 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I picked those up at Home Goods. I’ve found that they carry them a lot in a bajillion different colors. Every Home Goods is different though. I hope you’re able to find them!

Mrs. Limestone
    March 26, 2012 at 2:00 pm

So jealous of that flat file. I want one but have no room.

April 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

It’s a wide-format Epson 1400 Ink Jet Printer. Love it!

Judy
    September 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Hi: I love the Martha Stewart cabinets. I’ve been looking at them for some time myself but have been afraid to “pull the trigger,” as you did cause I’m still unsure how they will work for me. But maybe you can help. My plan is to use the flat file for movie poster storage. Could you tell me if those dividers I see in your detailed photo come out? I mean is it possible to use the complete inner dimensions to store posters flat? Would really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

September 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Yep, the dividers come right out. I took the dividers out of a few of the drawers for just that – poster storage. So, I think this will be great for what you need it for. Hope that helps!

Judy
    September 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Wow! What a fast reply. Thanks SO much.

If I’m not being too much of a pain – could I trouble you to tell me the inner dimensions of the drawers? No rush. It’s just so great to “meet” someone who actually owns these and be able to ask these questions.

Love the look of these. I downloaded the assembly instructions which look intense but clear. Think I’m gonna pull the trigger! Thanks again!

September 14, 2012 at 2:25 pm

No problem at all! The inside dimensions are 24″x36.5″. The assembly took a while, but they are solid as a rock!

Judy
    September 14, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Ashley – Thanks, again. This really helps…Your office space, by the way, looks sensational. Enjoy it!