Odds + Ends

SO, WE’RE WONDERING…

“What’s this, a post on a Thursday?!”, you say? Yep, we hope you’re tuning in, even though this isn’t normally considered a “blogging day”, because we’d like to pick your brains for a second and ask  you a question… When you’re shopping for new art prints for  your space, what size(s) do you generally look at?

We realize there might be a a lot of “Well, it depends on what it is” and/or “Depends on where it’s going in my house.” So I guess you could rephrase the question to be, “If you were to buy art for your place today, what size print would you buy?”. Some people prefer large pieces of art as opposed to smaller ones and vice versa but we want to know what your thoughts are about art sizes in your home.

We’re asking because we’re in the midst of adding a bunch of new art to the store. At the moment, Etsy doesn’t have a way to list multiple sizes of one item without listing each size/type individually. So rather than having a bunch of different listings for a bunch of different sizes (which may result in a lot of confusing listings) we thought we’d try to find out the most popular sizes among our “target audience” (aka you guys!) and go from there. Make sense? We hope so! Otherwise, we would just sound like crazy people. Well, we are in fact a little crazy.

So, what say you? Are 8×10’s your jam? Or do you like larger prints like 11×17’s and 24×36’s? Or even larger? Or do you like dainty prints in the 5×7 family?

Photo from Real Simple

Kody
    March 29, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hmmm… Right now I like daintier print in the 5 X 7 and up to 8 X 10. I have a question for you about the store though, I see you do some custom work for the traveling and love stories, but could you do a custom print with a specific quote?

March 29, 2012 at 9:55 am

Just shoot me an email with your info ([email protected]) and I’ll see what we can do : )

Ammy Belle
    March 29, 2012 at 9:54 am

Though it definitely does depend, in general I look for 8x10s or thereabouts.

Hope that helps! Thanks! 🙂

MicheleLouise
    March 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

Considering photography is my hobby and I want to show it off, I love BIG prints. Right now I have some 20×20″ photos up and that is about the smallest I will go now (other than a collage frame I have and rotate pictures through). For walls I won’t go smaller than 16×20, and I am planning to order some 24×36 sized items as soon as I can get myself to commit to something.

Megan
    March 29, 2012 at 10:16 am

I like a mix of sizes – I like having options! The most important thing to me is that they fit in a standard size frame! I’ve bought odd-sized prints (e.g., 5×5) and have had to have custom frames made – which can be expensive.

kelly
    March 29, 2012 at 10:21 am

I like 5×7 prints in 8×10 frames so I can give it a little matting for bookshelves and dresser tops. to hand on walls I would probably go 11×17

Mckae @ Kaes Corner Design
    March 29, 2012 at 10:33 am

I usually go for 8×10 or 11×17. Again, it depends on the space but I like a few big prints as opposed to a lot of small ones.

March 29, 2012 at 10:40 am

Good question! I like big and small art, just depends where it’s going (i.e. just like your photo). Just a note, I have a really hard time finding 11×17 frames in CA (don’t know if I’m the only one…) — for some reason, they don’t want us to frame our poster size work. I’ve found that 16×20 is the easiest to find “big” frames.

Carrie @DreamGreenDIY
    March 29, 2012 at 10:40 am

My vote is 11 x 17!!

Melanie
    March 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’d say 8 x 10 and 11 x 17

Meghan M.
    March 29, 2012 at 11:51 am

Go big or go home! Its hard to find cute prints that are BIG! The “stock” stuff at home and art stores is so generic, unoriginal and probably doesn’t have meaning to your family. So, to find something that is or can be personalized to your liking and that is big enough that it looks like a fancy art statement piece is hard!

Jessica @ Decor Adventures
    March 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Lately I find myself looking for large frames/art. No less than 11 x 14. I think it is because when I see photos of gallery walls, I’m drawn to the larger frames, the small ones seem to get lost. I say go big!

Stephanie
    March 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

BIG 24 x 36 or larger!

Carrie
    March 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm

That is a good question! I usually find myself buying art that is on the smaller side because I can always put it in a frame with a large mat to give it more presence. I find the smaller art easier to switch from a wall gallery to a bookshelf or table/dresser/desk. Plus I love buying affordable art and I’d run out of places to put them if they were all too large!

March 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I like to mix. Right now above my mantel I have a 24×36, 18×24, and 8×8 group. And I love it! For your style of posters, I’d probably go with 11×17. Easy to print, ship, and frame.

Barb
    March 29, 2012 at 3:03 pm

5×7
    8×10
    11×14

Still loving my family date picture & your shop is awesome!!!

Everyone buy from them on Etsy. They are great artists and so great to work with.

B.

March 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Aww, thanks Barb! So glad you’re loving your print! : )

Lori H
    March 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I use some 5 x 7 but usually bigger…11 x 17 sounds good. Like some else said, just please make it fit a standard frame!

Kellie
    March 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm

If I were to buy prints today, I would be looking for something in the 11×17 range.

Maria
    March 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I think it really depends on the size of the wall and what’s in front of it… If the wall(or arrangement in front of it) is more asymmetrical I love doing a variety of sizes to mix it up a bit… but if the wall is more symmetrical I go for groupings of smaller prints of the same size… oddly enough I love the look of a large print on a smaller wall….makes a more dramatic statement that way… Also if you have better luck finding more smaller size art don’t be afraid of combining them together under one large frame…

Lisa
    March 30, 2012 at 8:55 am

I dabble in photography, so I generally go for larger prints to highlight the artwork. But I’m also a sucker for a smaller print in a larger black frame with lots of white matting. It adds a great emphasis.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    March 30, 2012 at 9:42 am

I think 11×17 and up are good sizes. I’m less likely to print family photos and personal art in such large sizes (they’re usually 5×7 or smaller) and it’s nice to mix things up and have a nice size range.