On the Set

ON THE SET: DICK VAN DYKE SHOW

The Dick Van Dyke Show

We’ve mentioned a few times our love for classic TV shows and the fact that Greg and I both really enjoy I Love Lucy. A show we love just as much is The Dick Van Dyke Show. Rob, Laura, Richie, Buddy, Sally, Mel, Jerry, and Millie… they all feel like a part of our family. Yes, that sounds super corny, I know. But it’s true. I’ve seen every single episode, multiple times, except for the very last one. I just can’t bring myself to watch it. Even though the show aired 50-some years ago, I refuse to think of it as “over”.

Rob and Laura’s New Rochelle home is hands down one of my favorite TV houses. It’s what I’d call “Traditional Mid-Century”. There’s no doubt about the Mid-Century aspect, but if you look closer, you’ll see a hint of Traditional here and there – like the coffee table in the living room for instance.

I love the openness of the whole house. The bedrooms, den, and kitchen open up into the living room and the dining area is just a few steps from the sofa. I also love the wall of bricks. In the episode Give Me Your Walls, a painter comes to the house to paint the living room and Laura quickly says “Don’t touch the bricks!”.

Right off the living room is the master bedroom. Like most, if not all, TV bedrooms of the 50’s and 60’s, Rob and Laura’s had two twin beds rather than one queen/king. The beds were separated by a bedside table In the later seasons, the set designer switched out the table lamp for a spiffy pendent light as seen below (a good idea for freeing up beside table space!).

On the other side of the bedroom is a window seat (When I was little, I called them “pop out windows” and begged my parents to buy a house with one). I love the tall Mid-Century dresser in the corner. On the wall opposite the beds is a dressing table/vanity – something I’ve always wanted in our bedroom!

Back through the living room is the kitchen. I love this open kitchen! Yeah, to today’s standard it’d be considered “dated”, but it has a really great layout and not to mention a great big island. Behind the wall the refrigerator is on is a small walkthrough to the living room.

Rob and Laura had open shelving before it was cool! On the other side of the shelves is a sliding door out to the patio and a door that leads to the garage. To the right of Laura is a small broom closet (yay for storage!).

Want to add some Dick Van Dick Show Mid-Century flair to your space? Here’s how to get the look:

dick van dyke show style, set design, furniture, mid century modern

1. Leaf Bowl ($98.00) | 2. KleinReid Gourd Table Lamp ($379) | 3. The Petrie Sofa ($1,599) | 4. Whitman Round Coffee Table ($105) | 5. Mid-Century Coffee Pot Carafe ($14) | 6. Walnut Sunburst Clock ($149) | 7. Opaque Glass Frame ($24) | 8. Quinn Chair ($799) | 9.Β Quinn Ottoman ($399)

The episode photos above were captured from the following episodes:Β The Talented Neighborhood, You’re Under Arrest, I Am My Brother’s Keeper and That’s My Boy (my all-time favorite episode!). You can watch all 159 episodesΒ on Hulu.

Carrie @DreamGreenDIY
    April 20, 2012 at 9:48 am

LOVE this post!! I too am a classic movie/tv buff – It’s so refreshing to find another couple who shares that passion! They just don’t make ’em like they used to…

Thanks for sharing the mid-century flair too! My fave era in furniture, hands down.

April 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

You’re right, they don’t make them like they used to!

Thanks for the link! Grace Kelly is one of my favorite too, haha. Have you seen High Society? If not, you should!! It’s a musical remake of The Philadelphia Story with Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Louis Armstrong. Sooo good!

Elisa
    April 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

Love it! Also makes me want to watch Bye Bye Birdie..

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    April 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Ashley, I think we have a lot in common, beyond our name πŸ™‚ I also love classic TV (I Love Lucy being my all time fave, and I think yours, too?) and I love this Dick Van Dyke collection. How cute is that Petrie sofa?? Love it!

ashley
    April 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

aaand now i need to go watch the show. i absolutely love your take on their home-it’s one of my favorites!

Melissa
    April 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Love this post! Any chance you could make this a series?

April 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks! That’s the plan, Stan! ; )

Susanna
    April 20, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I love this! The Dick Van Dyke show is one of my favorites and the Petrie sofa has been on my wish list for awhile.

Lori H
    April 20, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Now I have to go and watch some Dick Van Dyke. I loved that show and seeing these photos reminded me how much. Laurie P was so stylish! Who vacuums in capri pants? And how shocking that she wore “slacks”! πŸ™‚

April 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

I love love love these posts!

Sharon
    March 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm

My all time favourite show! Introduced my daughter to it when she was little. It’s like our comfort food. My dream is to buy a mid century modern home and turn it into a psuedo Petrie home. Twin beds and all! Thanks for your take on the home. Just the best.

John
      December 30, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Sharon,

The mid centry home you seek is a “1950’s Ranch” the Petire home had been a classic 3 bedroom 1950s ranch one bedroom had been “the den” the master for Rob and Laura and one for the young son.

This house had an “open plan” the rage today!

John

patrick
    July 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm

In the corner of the bedroom near the pendant light, there is an object that had alternate black and white bands. The item is about 12-inches tall and on Rob’s side of bed. What is this object? I thought it might be a small decorative night lamp. This prop appeared on the Dannt Thomas show.

July 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

I think it’s just a decorative canister of some sort. Never noticed it on the Danny Thomas show, that’s so neat!

Bob
      July 12, 2013 at 3:28 pm

My guess, it looks like a decorative ceramic jar.
      I particularly like the man’s valet on Rob’s side, reminds me of my dad, as he had one too.

Bob
    July 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I loved this show, I thought Laura Petrie was the perfect wife!
    I still enjoy the 60’s decor every time I catch an episode today.

Great time to be a kid again!

scarletg
    December 3, 2013 at 11:17 pm

This Petrie sofa is only named after them I guess. It is not the same as the sofa I the show at all. I am looking for a sofa that is actually similar in looks not just in mind.

M.a.
      September 13, 2014 at 4:45 pm

West Elm has a low back curved sectional. Not sure about the quality, think it’s imported.

John
    December 30, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Half-way through the series the Petrie livingroom had a “makeover” the sofa had been reupolstered and the chair was replaced with a tufted number, new carpeting do y’all remember that?

Bob
    August 2, 2016 at 8:56 am

I always wanted the cherry blossom wall design behind the bed when I got married.
    I now can start looking for that exact design as my wife likes it too!