Ashley's Office Cleaning Tips + Tricks

A few weeks ago, I got a sample of a new (and very yummy smelling) dish soap in the mail. It was called “dish soap” so that means it can go in the little soap compartment in the dishwasher, right? Wrong. About 45 minutes into the cycle, I walked in the kitchen only to find the floor covered in growing soap suds extending all the way to the refrigerator. Cleaning it up seemed to take forever because the clouds of soap didn’t want to go away. A while later, and about four rinse cycles later, the suds were finally gone. I actually wanted to “reenact” the incident for the sake of this post (aka put the wrong kind of dish soap in the dishwasher on purpose), but Greg convinced me that would be “a horrible idea”. Instead, we’ll go with this photo:

I was on one of my random Google tangents yesterday and found a tip for getting rid of soap overflow. The article said to drain the water from the dishwasher then sprinkle table salt over the remaining bubbles (inside and outside the dishwasher). Let sit for about 5 to 10 minutes and the salt will help disperse the bubbles.

That tip alone would have made clean up a lot easier but the article goes on to tell you how to get the bubbles out of the dishwasher faster by adding ice cubes and vinegar. Yet another tip to add to the list. Apparently the ice cubes lower the water temperature and causes the bubbles to dissipate while the vinegar breaks up the soap residue. Read the entire article here.

Overflowing dishwasher photo found here.

April 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oh gosh, that reminds me of this one horror movie where the babysitter got electrocuted because the dishwasher overflowed and she stepped in it – ah! Be careful Ash!!

April 17, 2012 at 11:46 am

Oh dear!

April 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

LOL, sorry you had to deal with that but I have to say it just made me laugh!
    My husband did that once a few years ago and took pictures before I would let him clean it up. Still love those pics!

April 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

My family did that last year at our mountain cabin – a place we’ve been going to our whole life – really it can happen to anyone! Funny thing is that you don’t read those articles online until you actually NEED them. Our bubbles just wouldn’t go away either, each time we thought we’d gotten all of them, we’d run it again and they’d keep bubbling back up. Finally, salt did seem to do the trick (at least 4 of us were on google and spewing off any number of tricks, there are so many out there!) I don’t think we held back either, quite a bit of salt to keep those bubbles out!

Laura @ DMHB
    April 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm

When I first moved in with my boyfriend, he was always confused as to how to tell the difference between dish soap meant for hand washing, and dish soap for the machine. I was always taught anything labeled “dish soap” was for hand washing, and “dish washing detergent” or “dish detergent” was for the machine. Hehe. I have had a few friends go through this though, they say its terrifying! Glad everything worked out! πŸ™‚

April 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I *might* have done something like the in my first apartment. All I have to say, is don’t call it dish washing soap if it can’t be put in a DISH WASHER.

April 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Haha! Agreed! : )

April 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

This happened to me yesterday. I sprayed Clorox cleaner to clean the gunk on the inside of the dishwasher. Well, minutes later I felt like I was watching the I Love Lucy show. Bubbles everywhere. Took Forever to clean up. All over the floor…yikes!

But, I must say my dishwasher shines like the “top of the Chrysler Building.”.

But will never try that again.

So, I feel your pain.

April 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

We did that recently when we bought “dishwashing soap.” Why are the names so confusing!? πŸ™‚

April 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I did that once! The worst part about it was that it happened while we weren’t home! When we walked in it scared me to death! Bubbles were EVERYWHERE! It’s quite funny to think about now. I walked into the kitchen first. When I reacted to seeing the bubbles, my husband thought someone was in the house. He ran into the kitchen behind me ready to pull his best moves on the intruder…a mountain of soft, white, fluffy bubbles:) LOL!! 8-D (One of those moments when you needed to be there to appreciate his enthusiasm to catch the “guy”.) I will say though that our kitchen smelled wonderful:)!

April 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, my hubby did the same thing once. I told him it was the wrong kind of dish soap. Anything that says “dish soap” is to use in the sink. But he did it anyway and it was a disaster. Live and learn I guess.

April 18, 2012 at 12:06 am

Next time that happens, use real dishwasher detergent. It is made to not foam, and will kill the bubbles. I’ve done this before and that did the trick. It’s really a mistake you make only once.

Lauren B
    April 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hey! My husband did that twice! (I still can’t believe it) Now, we have to use the tabs, because he kept getting the dawn and the cascade liquid mixed up. Anyway, my Mom told me to make a 1/2 water, 1/2 white vinegar mixture and I put it in a squirt bottle. I then squirted all the bubbles and the disappeared! Then I put it through a quick rinse cycle, and the problem was gone. I still can’t believe he did it twice, but since switching to the tabs, no more problems. Hah!
    Lauren B.

April 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I did this when I was working at my dad’s accounting firm as an assistant in high school! After that anytime I would come in the office they called me “Bubbles.” We still laugh about it to this day!

April 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Does anybody know the maker of the cute glass container with glass lid in the second image?

April 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

It’s a vintage salt cellar. There’s one at Crate & Barrel that looks very similar. Here’s the link:

Hope that helps! : )

October 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Also.. pouring some fabric softener in the dishwasher helps get rid of the suds

March 9, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Omg hopefully my Suds go away! Cause I did the dishes like my dad asked and now I have a big problem! WHY CALL IT DISH WASHINH SOAP KF YOU CANT USE IT IN THE DISHWASHER!!? Why do they lie? QAQ