Organizing

A LABELED OFFICE = A HAPPY OFFICE

martha stewart home office

I was up late last night organizing my office, top to bottom. It’s a work in progress but I’m hoping to be finished by this weekend. Pretty and functional organization takes time. Over the past few days, I’ve made many a trip to Staples. Mainly for the Martha Stewart Home Office line. It’s addicting. Truly and honestly addicting. Before the MS line debut at Staples, I could easily spend an hour in there pawing through the Sharpies, Post-It Notes, and notebooks. But now, oh brother! We won’t even go there.

martha stewart home office

One of my favorite new things are these adhesive metal bookplates. I used them on my “Right Hand” notebook (here) and the baking jars in the kitchen (here). Ever since, I can’t stop using them. They’re a great way to label your goods stylishly and effortlessly. I picked up five a few packs yesterday to dress up my office storage furniture (more about that here). A labeled office makes a happy office, right? The only problem was that the office furniture is white and I didn’t think the silver bookplates would really stand out much. So, I turned to the number one weapon in the DIYer’s arsenal: spray paint.

I ended up using chalkboard spray paint. I have plenty of it on hand right now (due to a weekend project coming up) and it has a great flat black finish, which is what I wanted, so it fit the bill. I kept the bookplates on their “sticker paper” and lightly spritzed 2 coats of paint. They are pretty small, so it didn’t take much paint at all. Some of the paint bubbled on the surrounding “sticker paper”, but everything stayed put on the bookplates themselves. Chalkboard spray paint dries really fast, so the entire process only took about 15 minutes, including drying time.

Insert a few labels I made on the computer and we’re good to go! I really love how the now flat black bookplates stand out on the white wood.

It’s exactly the look I was going for and now I’m even more giddy about getting this “Project: Office Organization” ball rolling.

Do you have any favorite organizing products? Are you addicted to the Martha Stewart Home Office collection too? You are definitely not alone.

Melanie
    April 25, 2012 at 10:43 am

I need this much spare time in my life to get this organized, oh yeah and an office too! :p

They look great, Ash!

Jen
    April 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

Those are amazing! I may have to go check them out with a 25% off coupon from my Better Homes and Garden Mags! Life is so easy when everything is organized, clean, and fresh! Thanks for sharing your talents.

Molly K
    April 25, 2012 at 10:51 am

LOVE the organizing and LOVE LOVE LOVE that white cabinet! Is that from the Martha Stewart collection at Home Decorators? Droooool!

April 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

Yes, yes it is. And it’s worth every single freaking penny. I’ll be posting more details about it soon!

Melissa
    April 25, 2012 at 10:57 am

That is too funny! I was at Staples on Sunday and I came across the Martha Stewart line and I just stood and stared for I don’t know how long. AND it was set up right next to the giant tower of sharpies in every size and color. I was in heaven!

Cristina
    April 25, 2012 at 11:02 am

Yeah I am totally addicted to the MS line now. I plan on making a trip to Staples in the next day or two for some of the metallic silver address labels. I might even pick up the office chair. I love everything about it!

Lori H
    April 25, 2012 at 11:45 am

The Martha stuff at Staples is amazing. I could stand there choosing forever!

Amy
    April 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I am completely addicted to the Martha Stewart line! I have bought a large stack of products that are waiting for a quiet weekend to go on an organizing binge. I may have to steal the idea of spray painting…

Christin
    April 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Nice! Love how they look. I love all things organization. Period. I could easily spend thousands of dollars and hours just on organizing, and labeling and all that good stuff. I am seriously jealous of that beautiful white cabinet in your office! I would LOVE to have space for something like that. Maybe some day. πŸ™‚

Priscilla
    April 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Please! Post about that white cabinet!! Drooling over those pull outs!

April 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Coming soon to a blog near you ; )

Kody
      April 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Looking forward to this post! I love that cabinet as well!

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    April 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm

ASHLEY! You’re killin’ me smalls! After seeing your amazing notebook I hightailed it to Staples to get in on that action because 1)I’d been looking for the perfect organizer with no luck 2)I’ll buy just about any and everything Martha. And 3) I too am and office supplies addict (maybe we should start a small group OSA -haha)

But now, you’re just killing me! I mean I’m two seconds away from buying the Martha map drawers. I bought those plates also and I too am obsessed with their Martha-y label-y goodness. I want everything in sight to have a Martha label plate. Looks like we should probably purchase some stock in Martha Stewart since it doesn’t look like you or I will be boycotting her anytime in this life πŸ™‚

April 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Hahaha! OSAs unite! : )
      We need t-shirts.

Jen
    April 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I really love that you spray painted those labels! They look GREAT. And you are really making me want to take the plunge on the divine office furniture. I have been eying those pieces up for awhile now, they are simply dreamy.

xo!
    Jen

April 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Jen! Yesss, I LOVE the MS furniture. There’s a place for everything and the inserts are very customizable. I’ll be posting more about it soon! : )

Ashley S
    April 25, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I am in the process of re-doing my office too, so I love seeing what you’re doing and getting some inspiration. I love, love, love the Martha Stewart products! I used them to label my magazine holders that desperatly needed a face lift! They were yucky black plastic, and now they are cute, white lattice magazine holders. Here’s a link to them: http://instagr.am/p/JsEz_MD2ik/

VONDA K
    April 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

The labels look fantastic! I’m beginning to think that just about anything can be spray painted!

Ashley S
    April 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

What template do you use to print on the labels? I’ve been hand writing on those little labels that come with the bookplates, and there’s definitely some fonts I’d rather use over my handwriting.

April 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I actually I didn’t use a template, I just printed the words on a piece of white card stock then cut them out to the size I needed.

Susie
    February 25, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Love it!!! πŸ™‚ I’m working on my Martha Stewart Bookplates right now.