This mood board was a lot of fun to put together because it’s completely different than the style of our house: cool, neutral earth tones with a definite coastal vibe. My grandparents live in Florida (right outside of Tampa), and Greg and I try to get down there at least a couple times a year if our schedules let us. Whenever we go, it’s so relaxing and everything seems to be automatically light and airy – which was the inspiration for this mood board:
1. The Color Palette – This coastal color palette is much like the ocean: sandy beige, shades of blue, and white. I imagine the room having gray blue walls (something like Martha Stewart’s Shale – MSL276) with maybe even some Pure White wainscoting (MSL253).
2. Hoyne Pendant Lamp – Even though this pendant lamp is made out of galvanized steel, the design kind of reminds me of a fishing net. So, it goes along with the “theme” of the room without being too over-the-top “beachy”.
3. Kivik Loveseat and Chaise (in Dansbo Beige) – Being the color of the sand, this sofa is the perfect “base” for a living room with a coastal vibe. Coming in at 828 clams, it’s also super affordable as far as sectionals go. The cool thing about this particular sectional is that you can easily add sections to make it as big or small as you want – basically, custom without the huge price tag. It also has a removable/machine washable cover, making it pet and kid friendly.
4. Shoreline Canvas Art – I love this modern take on the ocean by Caroline Gold. And the soft colors go really well with the color palette of the mood board.
5. Zak Table Lamp – I’ve been looking for an excuse to use this lamp on the blog, and here it is! I love the simple, clean, modern lines and think a pair of these on either side of the sofa would look great. They are large and make a statement, but their glass base keeps everything light and airy.
6. Cotton Canvas Printed Crosshatch Window Panels – Speaking of light and airy, these canvas window panels are the perfect. I’d also use oil rubbed bronze hardware to tie in with the dark ottoman (#8).
7. Hayward Pillows – I love lots of throw pillows and I think an excessive amount in a mixture of blues and browns would look awesome in this room. It would make for a really comfy environment with adding some color that coordinates with the art at the same time.
8. Wicker Storage Ottoman – This extra large storage ottoman would serve as a great coffee table. It’s 35×35, so big enough to ground the otherwise light and airy room. The added storage is a major plus. Oh, and it’s outdoor safe too!
9. Faux Coral – I’ve always been a fan of faux coral. It’s a great accent piece and has an interesting texture.
10. Belize Graphite Rug – Yet another Crate & Barrel find – I just realized there’s a lot of Crate & Barrel pieces in the round up! This rug is a great modern take on the traditional sisal rug. The gray sisal material has a lot of taupe undertones, which helps it tie in with the sofa. On the other hand, it’s dark enough of to serve up some contrast.
There you have it. My cool, coastal, Florida-inspired living room. Anyone have any favorite pieces?