Shopping Trips

A WHOLE NEW WORLD

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend! As for my weekend, it consisted of the usual Easter activities in addition to a little shopping with a friend, getting a much needed haircut, finishing up reading The Hunger Games (oh em gee!), and cooking a big dinner for the fam. All in all, it was a great relaxing weekend!

By the way, off the subject of today’s post but have you read The Hunger Games yet? I just finished last night and I downloaded Catching Fire faster than a a speeding bullet arrow. The only thing is that I now have an urge to learn how to use a bow and arrow and change Bentley’s name to Peeta. I don’t think he’ll mind. Okay, moving on…

During my weekend shopping excursion, we stopped by World Market. This isn’t a place I typically go in on a regular basis like Home Goods or Target – which is more like an every-other-day-basis! But I came across so many awesome pieces, that I’m definitely going to make it a point to stop in more often. That may prove to be a good or bad thing – depending on if you’re name is Greg. Ha! Lucky for Greg, I ended up bringing home only two things, but here are a few things that caught my eye:

The very first thing to grab my attention when we walked in were these dining chairs ($219.98 for 2). I love the simple rustic design with the combination of the nailhead detailing.

I’m not necessarily a “cupcake lover” but I really like this sign ($79.99). The colors are fun, it’s distressed, and big enough to make a statement. If any of you love cupcakes and have a place for this in your house, please buy it so I can live vicariously through you. Thanks.

I also like this Antiques sign (on sale for $39.99!). It actually gave me some inspiration for a project I have up my sleeve for down the road.

Speaking of projects, I’ve never sewn a thing in my life, but I imagine this shower curtain ($29.99) would make a few great throw pillows. The coral looks like a close match to the chair in my office so I ended up buying one for such a project down the road – now I just have to get the courage to sew!

As I’ve mentioned a few times lately – I’m currently obsessed with reclaimed wood furniture. So this Youkoso Coffee Table ($449) tucked away in the corner had me at hello. Even though it’s not technically “reclaimed wood” (I don’t think!), the rustic look with the huge rivetts are the best of both rustic and industrial styles.

Going a long with the whole rustic meets industrial vibe, I love their Aiden table collection ($289 for the coffee table, $289.99 for the console table, $259 for the etagere). By the way, you could make a great entertainment system with the console table, and a etagere on either side.

This loveseat ($449.99) is definitely one of those if-we-had-a-place-for items that would be in our house right now. Even though it’s clearly Victorian-inspired, the mix-matched buttons give it a whimsy/Anthropologie/modern look. And it’s called “Cute as a Button” – haha!

Ya’ll know how I love me some mercury glass. This salad serve set ($19.95) is surprisingly heavy and definitely worth the $19.95 price tag.

Aren’t these graphic tea towels fun? Coming in at just $9.98 for a set of 2, they’d be a great way to add some color to a kitchen. I particularly like the blue, green, and grellow one.

I was really impressed with their lighting section. Some of the fixtures are very Anthropolgie-esque but a fraction of the price – like this pendant for only $69.99. I love the blue peaking through the underside and I bet the inricate design makes a really cool shadow on the wall.

In the back of the store is a huge, glorified International food section. They have everything from Pocky to Vegemite (which I tried when I went Australia when I was 17. Not a fan!). We ended up picking up some hard-to-find shortbread cookies for Greg. He had them in Scotland and World Market is the first place we’ve been able to find them. He was a happy camper. They also had a big selection of nostalgic foods and drinks with cool vintage-inspired packaging. This section along with their large selection of baskets – it’s the perfect place to put together a gift basket.

On our way out, I spotted these barstools ($109 each). I kept going back and forth wondering if they were a good fit for our peninsula. Even though they are really cool,  industrial and the perfect  height (they twist from counter to bar height), we decided we want something with a back – not only for comfort but to add some visual separation from the living room to the kitchen.

With shower curtain and Scottish shortbread cookies in hand, that about wraps up my weekend World Market trip. Any favorite pieces? Are you a World Market fan too? Come across any good finds lately? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment!

I got too excited and forgot to take a photo of the outside of the store, so the first image is from here.

Lori H
    April 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Now that you are a fan (as am I) you need to sign up as a Member (free). They have members-only sales through email that are great. I love the industrial furniture there, the lamps, the dishes, on and on!

Katrina
    April 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I love World Market, I don’t pop in there all the time, but when I do I usually love what I see.

The shower curtain is cute, it will make darling pillows. Pillows are duper easy to sew and are the perfect firs time sewing project.

Tamara
    April 9, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Great collection of finds! I’ve always enjoyed our World Market, but haven’t been in for awhile. I think it may be calling my name again. In the past I’ve had good luck there finding wall art and furniture accent pieces. The “Cute as a Button” sofa is beyond adorable!

Melinda
    April 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I literally laughed out loud at my desk when you said you were thinking about changing Bentley’s name to Peeta! Seriously. That’s hilarious!

I’m not an avid WM shopper, but after seeing this post I’m going to run by there on my way home from work. Fun post!

Tracy
    April 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm

World Market is one of my most favorite places to shop, for real. My husband is from England so we go there a lot for some of his favorite foods or beers that are hard to find. We also have a lot of the furniture. I like that it’s well made, very sturdy, but really pocket-book friendly. Our most recent purchase was this bed. (http://bit.ly/b0Rgop) I like how simple it is and it’s just a really good piece of furniture. I’m eyeing a desk for my daugher’s room and some of the outdoor pieces, I love some of the patio furniture and decor accents.

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    April 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I want, no, I NEED, that cupcake sign. Like right now. Love it!

Andrea
    April 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I am kinda obsessed with that pendant. I have been trying to get my bf for go look at it because I wasn’t able to get a good photo of it to show him with my iphone until I saw yours. Thanks. I hope he liked it as much as I do. Cheers!!

Lindsey (One Sweet World)
    April 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I think that same thing every time I go into a World Market – why don’t I come here more often?! They have some great things and I always come out with a new find!

Holly
    April 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I ADORE ADORE ADORE Cost Plus World Market! Yes, if not already done you must become a member. They do send great member’s only discounts and sales info. As much as I love it though I do try to keep out of it for at least a month or so at a time. Then each time everything is all changed aroud and like new for another hour+ round of checking out every nook and cranny!

My visit this past week brough some adorable spring/summer tops to my life (and their maxi dresses were awesome!) as well as some rice vinegar, roasted red peppers, assorted spices and chocolate.

Carrisa
    April 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I wish we had World Market here. (Tulsa, Ok) Instead I just have to get my fix when I visit family in Dallas. I always buy a big bottle of olive oil when I go because they sell it so cheap.

Yvette @ AquaSeventy6
    April 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I love World Market! I upcycle items from there all the time (when I find them on clearance!) I love that shower curtain! Pillows are super easy! They were my first sewing DIY project. I might have to swing by World Market soon. There’s one just 5 minutes north of me. (I’m in RVA, as well!)

Erin
    April 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I love love love WM. There are none in the Northeast and I’ve been going through withdrawal since I moved away from VA years ago, lol. I love their current industrial vibe. They also have great bath towels!

Emily
    April 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Love World Market! It just opened here a few years ago and has become such a great go to place for accessories and things. They have great adirondack chairs in the summer!
    Canno wait for Catching Fire to hit theaters next!

April 10, 2012 at 7:44 am

I love world market…there’s a dining set I’ve been eying for quite some time now. They have GREAT sales, so I’m always on the look out for clearance.

PS: love the light fixture

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d
    April 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh man, I love WM! Their accessories are great and their furniture is great quality. We have three of those twist stools and love them. The foot rests could be a little thicker, but the seats are heavy and comfy. If you become a member you also get coupons in the mail for your birthday. I just got $10 off a minimum purchase of $10 for my bday!

Kim
    April 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

World Market has great sales on furniture all the time… just recently they had 50%…. not too shabby. 🙂

Carrie Smith
    April 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

How fun! Reading your blog is like shopping with a friend. And what great ideas. I think the shower curtain is going to make some great pillows.

Oh, and about Hunger Games… do you know if the movie is as good as the book? I’m tempted to see it.

April 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Aww, thank you! : )
      And yes, I saw the movie last week. It’s really good, but I’ve got to say that the book is slightly better. It’s more in depth (in a good way) and it’s cool to see the characters you’ve been reading about come to life. I never would have pegged Haymitch as Woody Harrelson, haha!

Katie
    April 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Oh my goodness! I am in love with that pendant light!!! I need it for my kitchen! We got a great deal on a desk at World Market, but generally their prices are too rich for my blood.

Adria
    June 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm

My husband and I are huuuge fans of World Market! Their prices are to die for! And we always find somethings awesome there! Some of my favorite decor is from there, as well as our favorite unique sodas.