DIY Decor

PRETTY PAPERS

wrapping paper framed art

I’m a self-proclaimed paper fanatic. Notebooks, stationery, cards, envelopes – you name it, I’m there. With bells on. Especially when it comes to wrapping paper. Over the weekend, I was “window shopping” for some new and interesting wrapping paper. During my quest, I started to notice that some of the by-the-sheet gift wrap was so detailed and unique it could easily pass as bionafied art. Well, it is art. And it looks even better framed!

Floral, abstract, maps, illustrated, modern. With so many styles to choose from, it’s pretty safe to say you’ll be able to find some art wrapping paper to fit your style. Ordinarily the wrapping paper designs by-the-sheet run around $4.00 – which isn’t bad for a unique art print. Here are some of my favorite wrapping paper turned art possibilities…

Marigolds | Brush Stroke Gold | Pixel |Β Dogs | Lokta |Β Penguin Book Titles |Β Records
Boston Map | Chicago Points of Interests | Lotus | Yuzen Cherry Blossom Clusters

So, what do you think? Next time you’re in a pinch for some wall art, are you going to double-check the gift wrap section. You never know!

Frame from Pottery Barn.

Erin
    April 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

Great idea!!! You cant beat $4 art!

Shaunna
    April 23, 2012 at 10:17 am

How clever! I love Paper Source wrapping paper just never thought of framing it. Their owl paper would be really cute in a nursery!

Lydia
    April 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’ve heard of framing scrapbook paper but never thought of wrapping paper. Great tip!

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    April 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

haha Ashley you and I are on the same ‘page’. I have an unhealthy problem purchasing office supplies namely notebooks, papers, binders, pens, I mean…you know what I’m sayin’. I actually have 2-3 framed papers in my house right now. I eventually think they’ll be filled with real art but it works for now for filler. And like you have above, you can actually find wall worthy art work from paper! I dig the choices you picked!

Carrie @DreamGreenDIY
    April 23, 2012 at 11:15 am

Great idea! My favorite is the “Lotus” wrapping paper…I also frame scrapbooking paper in a pinch =)

Christin
    April 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Snow & Graham is a local paper/stationary/press in Chicago and it’s fantastic. Places like Paper Source sell their stuff, but you can also order online at their website. It’s fantastic stuff – you should check it out! http://www.snowandgraham.com/

April 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Oh yay! A new source for pretty paper! Thanks for the link : )

JKB
    April 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I framed some cool wrapping paper in three frames and hung them over my sofa in an old apartment – I loved it! It was so easy to change things up. I got tons of compliments from it, it is an easy and affordable way to add some interest to a room!

Erin
    April 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I love this idea! So much look for so little money πŸ™‚ Years ago I found two cool Frank Lloyd Wright abstract/geometric prints as $4/sheet gift wrap. They fit perfectly into a couple poster sized frames from Ikea (so also cheap) and lived that way on my walls for three or four years until my style evolved. But I still count that as one of my best cheap decorating successes….Now you’ve got me thinking it may be time to revisit gift wrap-as-art. Thanks for the reminder!

Lori H
    April 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Do we have a Paper Source in Richmond or does someone local carry their stuff? This is so inspiring, can’t wait to go paper shopping!

April 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Nope, the closest Paper Source to Richmond is in Alexandria : ( Good thing they have an online store!

Grace @ Balancing Me
    April 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Such an amazing and simple idea! I’m definitely going to check out the previous commenter’s link (Snow & Graham). I could use this in my new (TINY) apartment in New York City!

Ruth Ann Anderson
    September 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I love material framed. I am tearing out advertisements too .. Some have very thought provoking messages ..life skills .. Worthy of a frame. Raa

Painting Sunny
    March 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This was so great, I was inspired to make my own version after getting some weird vintage wrapping paper. Thanks for the great inspiration! I linked to you on a post about it, over at Painting Sunny right here: http://paintingsunny.com/2013/03/18/before-blog-projects-part-1/

March 24, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Very cool! Thanks for the link : )

Vel
    August 21, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I will definitely, and I’m actually writing a blog post on it too! Hope you don’t mind if I used your picture above, I gave a link back of course to your blog! It’s not up for posting yet, but I just needed to give you a heads up. Let me know if you don’t want the picture above used. THANKS!

August 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Not a problem! : )

Vel
    August 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thanks a bunch, will let you know when I post. πŸ™‚

Val @ ZenShmen
    November 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I liked one of your idea so much, I blogged about it here! http://bit.ly/1epg70D
    Great post! Take care, Val

Val @ ZenShmen
      November 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Of course if I wasn’t so excited I would have noticed by typo! *I liked your idea so much!* πŸ˜‰

Audra
    March 29, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Hi Ashley! One day this past winter, waiting on the curb for the garbage man, my boyfriend found me a box filled to the brim with the most gorgeous vintage wrapping paper (mostly for Christmas)- copyright dates from the 50s-70s. Gorgeous, nostalgic, even the strong musty smell is wonderful. I want to put them to use for next Christmas- framed, as garland, gift tags, behind old Christmas photos, anything I can. I don’t even know if I want to give any away as gifts they are so beautiful and heartwarming. Thanks for the idea πŸ™‚

July 2, 2016 at 7:24 pm