Kitchen

ARE WE THERE YET?

kitchen island end

I’m sure when it comes to the kitchen, I sometimes sound like that annoying kid in the backseat saying, “Are we there yet? Are we there yet?”. Luckily, things are starting to come together. Finally! Now that we’re at the “finishing touches” stage, I’m trying to focus on one area at a time. This past weekend, I made a few updates to the peninsula. Greg and I always call it the “island”, but technically I guess it’s a peninsula. Right?

First of all, here’s what this area of the kitchen looked like before…

It was in need of color, and with all of the slick surfaces, it could definitely handle some texture too.

First thing on the list was to put something inside the huge two-gallon jars sitting on the counter. For now, we’ve got one filled with flour and the other with apples. And yes, before you ask, they’re fake apples. Truth be told, I’m normally not a huge fan of fake fruit, but these guys look insanely real, and they add some needed color. I’m contemplating adding a third jar, but I’m not completely sure what I’d fill it with. I also added this cute set of salt and pepper shakers. I found these at Michaels for $1.50 a piece. I love how the simple white pottery look gives it a little bit of Jonathan Adler vibe.

Now to the island peninsula. It’s massive – so much more massive than it looked like in the drawing when we ordered the cabinets. But we’re definitely not complaining! It’s an awesome work surface to have; not only for cooking, but for house projects, too. On the other hand, when the countertop isn’t being used as a project surface, the wide open space is pretty empty looking. “…room to make her big mistakes”. Sorry. Old school Dixie Chicks moment. Anyway, I didn’t want to fill it  with a ton of clutter, so I was on the look-out for something simple, long, and at least slightly colorful. I also wanted something thin enough so someone could comfortably use either side of the counter without having to move it. Luckily, I found this guy at Home Goods…

It was long, had clean lines with a semi-rustic touch and, for $29.99, it fit the bill. Done!

Now it was time to address the book shelves on the end of the peninsula. Up until now, we hadn’t paid much attention to them, but every time I went to rearrange something, it would never look right. It drove me crazy! Then, it dawned on me… less is more!

There’s Rufus, Bentley’s BFF, trying to photobomb the picture. I took out a shelf (duh!) and, after a few minutes of stacking and rearranging, here’s what the bookshelves look like now:

I stocked the top shelf with cookbooks, a kitchen timer, and a small jar (that used to be on the counter with the two large ones) filled with cookie cutters. The bottom shelf could probably use a little more in the future, but for now we’ve got a silver ceramic pear (an oldie from ZGallerie) and more cookbooks held up by a wood recipe box.

Here’s a fun detail shot for kicks…

And yes, that is indeed a Star Wars cookbook. As for the glass cabinets…

I added a few little pops of color to the glass cabinets with a stack of small red baking dishes (from Home Goods), a butter dish (from Anthropologie), a set of vintage Pyrex bowls (from my mom) and a few ceramic farmer’s market baskets (also from Anthropologie).

Oh, and a few of you asked for a photo of the cabinet side of the peninsula, so we made sure to sneak one in…

Yet another step closer to being “done”. Someone get me a pen and paper, I need to make a list! Again… ; )

Have you entered the DENY Design giveaway yet?! They are giving one lucky reader a super cool custom duvet cover valued at $182! Click on over to enter…

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    May 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

The kitchen looks gorgeous and I love the glass cabinets and the way that you’ve displayed your dishes! So gorgeous!

Lauren
    May 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Wow, it looks SO good!

Nicole
    May 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

Your kitchen reminds me so much of mine! Love it!

Lori H
    May 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Ashley, your kitchen is beautiful! And after reading this post, I just went and took all the covers off my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks…I didn’t realize they were so pretty!

Katrina
    May 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I love you kitchen its so pretty! We are getting ready to re-do of kitchen bit by bit first up the counters then lots of painting. I just LOVE looking at your kitchen and need to PIN IT asap 🙂

Jennifer Russell
    May 16, 2012 at 10:17 pm

GORGEOUS!!! I love the silver pitcher!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    May 16, 2012 at 11:00 pm

This looks really great! I love all the decorative touches but my favorite part of the kitchen is the bookcase in the peninsula!

Ruth
    May 17, 2012 at 2:30 am

I also have a bookcase a the end of our Island, which I don’t know what to do with. Yours looks great.

Corey @ loveuslife
    May 17, 2012 at 4:53 am

I love those glass cabinets! Im going to ask santa for some 😉

May 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

Yep! A few people have asked before, so I’m working on a post of my faves : )

Katie
    May 17, 2012 at 9:50 am

I LOVE it!

Beth L
    May 17, 2012 at 9:54 am

Lookin’ good! Love the re-style of the bookshelves. You aught to take a look at Sur La Table for those ceramic baskets. They have the same ones that Anthropologie has, but for half the price! Plus they always have coupon codes! Though for right now they only have red, white and blue ones avail as they are using them in part of a festive july 4th themed collection. but either way they’re super cute! I have em already too! 🙂

May 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

I love those! Thanks for the tip! : )

Marie
    May 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Love love love your all white kitchen. It’s so bright. Would love to know the source of your bell jars and silver pitcher.

May 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thanks! The jars are from Crate & Barrel and the silver pitcher is from an antique shop in Nantucket. Hope that helps!

Anna
    May 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love this! Question: How did you get your Pyrex bowls to sit like that? I have 2 in that print & 2 solid aqua & would love to display them better!

May 23, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks! I just used two blocks of green Styrofoam. I talked more about it in this post: http://bit.ly/HdyFQR

Tracy
    October 16, 2012 at 9:00 am

I love your kitchen, I was noticing the cookbooks, we have a lot of the same ones! Except the Star Wars book! lol! And then I was reading your post on countertops! We chose the same one! In fact, the fabricators are coming today to template, although we were given a 2-4 week time frame for install. I know, after looking at your kitchen that we will love our choice! It is grueling to make such a decision when they are such a big investment. Thanks for sharing!
    I think I will be a regular!

October 16, 2012 at 9:36 am

So cool, haha! Thanks for reading! 🙂

Michelle
    December 31, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Wow!!! Your kitchen is just gorgeous!!!! It has been fun going back and reading about the whole process. I love the cabinets! The pop of color in the uppers by your peninsula looks so nice! BTW, my mother had bowls like yours. 🙂 I don’t even know if she still has them, but would be neat to find some like them. I LOVE the Star Wars cookbook! Ha! 🙂 I need to find that for my 6 yr old little boy. He would be so thrilled! I have watched the original three movies about a gazillion times in the last 6 mo!!!