Ashley's Office Organizing

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS: OFFICE STORAGE

martha stewart craft furniture drawers inside

As promised, I’m here with the full low down, the ins and outs, the whole kit and caboodle of the Martha Stewart storage furniture in my office.

martha stewart craft space furniture

We purchased these pieces a while back and I’ve spent the last two weeks (off and on) finally unpacking my last few boxes of office stuff and organizing every nook an cranny of my new storage furniture. I’m not an avid crafter or scrapbooker – so I don’t have piles of glue, stickers, and other crafty gadgets – which is probably what this furniture was intended for. Instead, I have things like greetings cards, paper, envelopes, a Sharpie collection, 3-ring binders, art prints, magazines, files, and a few “crafty things” here and there.

First up, we have this big guy – which consists of  two separate pieces (the Eight-Drawer Flat-File Cabinet and the Storage Hutch).

On the inside of the left door is a bulletin board. I’m planning on making a large inspiration board to go near my desk for graphic design and home decorating projects. That being the case, this hidden one is mainly for stuff on my wish list (like those awesome glasses at the top) and old family photos I like having around. On the opposite door, there’s a chalkboard. I really like the concept of having both, but for some reason, I can’t seem to get chalk to actually write on the board. It’s almost like the “chalkboard” is made from something smoother than chalkboard material. I looked over some product reviews, and it seems some people have had the same problem. No worries, though! We’ve got wet erase chalk markers! I’ve actually really enjoyed using them as a substitute for the usual dusty chalk.

Let’s start on the left side of the hutch… At the very top, I’ve got one of my favorite belongings – an antique camera my Uncle Jerry gave me when I was 17. I think it’s nice to have a few sentimental things mixed in with practical useful items. It makes whatever you’re doing easier on the eyes and more fun! Next to the camera is a small white and coral bowl that holds glue sticks and a hot glue gun. The next shelf down is my craft paint stash. The paint brush cup was a plain red pencil cup that I bought from Pottery Barn about four years ago. I painted it coral to go with the coral/blue/gray/white motif I’m working toward. On the bottom shelf are my three go-to binders for (almost) everything that goes on around the house, along with my utensil caddy turned Sharpie/pencil caddy (more on that here).

On the bottom, there are two sliding drawers. They’re nice to have so that I can corral all of my random odds and ends. The drawers slide all the way out, too, just in case I want to take the entire bin to another room for some reason. To make them even more functional, I added brackets (more on that here) to label what each one is holding. I love these because I can change the labels as my needs change. Right now, I’m using one for magazines I need to go through and the other for things I may want to frame or put on the big inspiration board when that goes up down the road.

Now, for the left side…

martha stewart craft furniture

On the top shelf is a box where I keep all of our important receipts. When the box gets full, I just file them away. Easy peasy! I reused yet another pencil holder from Pottery Barn to hold my washi tape collection. I love using clear containers for stuff like this because it’s colorful and fun to look at. Next is a small collection of my favorite home design books, held up by my crazy easy DIY bookend. Then, I’ve got a box that holds all of my phone/camera/battery chargers, a shiny stapler and tape dispenser set and another favorite antique camera.

The next thing down is my favorite feature of this furniture: the flat-file drawers. I love, love, love these crazy deep drawers – 25 inches deep to be exact. Thanks to the dividers that came with the unit, there seems to be a place for everything.

In an effort to help keep things tidy and organized, I labeled each drawer with using my label maker. I can’t resist a labeling opportunity!

The depth comes in handy when storing our art prints and mailing supplies for the Etsy store. I love when it comes time to ship a print out and all I have to do is open the drawer labeled “Mailing Supplies” and there’s everything I need to put it together.

Now we have the smaller of the two storage pieces, the Craft Space Storage Cabinet. It’s not as deep as the other cabinet, but it still packs a big punch in the storage capacity department. With the exception of the bottom drawer, this is where I keep all of my paper goods and paper-related items — greeting cards, notepads, the printer, cardstock, envelopes, and so on.

I added more bracket labels to keep things organized in this piece, as well. The bins on the door are where I keep all of our greeting cards. If I ever have more than what fits in those bins, I have too many. Also adorned with bracket labels are the sliding trays inside. I have one tray for cardstock, one for envelopes, and one for “pretty paper scraps”. They are so convenient and they pull all the way out so I can take them wherever I’m working in the house. The large cubby is perfect for the printer. When I realized it fit, it was like a magic Disney moment! Now that we know this will be the permanent home of the printer, Greg is going to drill a small hole in the back of the cabinet for the wires. Under the printer are two baskets: one for printer ink and the other houses my totally normal collection of notepads and small notebooks. Actually, the collection used to be much larger. When I was in high-organization-mode last week, I pared down the collection to only what fits in the basket – with a little room for one or two new ones. Like with the greeting cards, if I have more than what fits in the basket, it’s too many and time to purge again. I have to have these rules for myself or you’d be seeing me on Hoarders next season.

Lastly, under the cabinet are two drawers. In the top drawer, I keep larger paper products like contact paper, poster board (along with poster markers) and small blank canvases.

The bottom drawer isn’t 100% organized yet. It’s where I keep my little stamp collection as well as extra office supplies. I want to wait until it fills up a little more before I get the containers and dividers it needs.

Well, that about wraps up the current state of my office organization. It’s a work in progress, but truth be told, I’m loving every minute of it. Are you an organizing junkie too? Can I come organize your house when I’m finished with ours? ; )

Casey @ wafflingdesign
    May 9, 2012 at 10:56 am

Whoa, I am loving the white with those grey walls!! I also LOVE how organized this is!! Are you a messy person, or will it stay this nice??

May 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

Haha! If everything has a specific place, I tend to keep things more tidy – which is why I LOVE an organized space.

Missy G.
    May 9, 2012 at 11:02 am

Your office looks amazing! I am so NOT an organizing junkie, so I love to read your blog and others’ to try to motivate myself to get things in order at my home. It’s an ongoing struggle, and you are certainly more than welcome to come over and take control!

Jill
    May 9, 2012 at 11:08 am

Today’s post makes me want to leave work right now and go home and organize!LOL Very inspirational!!!

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    May 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

I’m SO jealous of your Martha Stewart storage! And I love the way you organized and labeled everything, including the cute “future art” label. This is good motivation for me to finally tackle my mess of a basement. My house is so tidy…but my basement is a booby trap!

Caroline N.
    May 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

Absolutely love it! I too am so inspired right now. I wish I had cute stuff to organize like you do:)

Mckae @ Kaes Corner Design
    May 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

This is amazing! I am so jealous. Ok, I thnk I’ve been inspired to finally organize my office/ guest room so I can actually leave the door open and not be embarrassed 🙂

Priscilla
    May 9, 2012 at 11:34 am

Im so jealous! this looks awesome and neat and super organized!

Monica W
    May 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I love it! I love that everything has it’s place and is so colorful!!!
    If I had the room I would do something very similar but unfortunately I’ll be working with a closet and shelves in the room. It’s a long way to come since our “office” is still a storage room!

Lori H
    May 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Swoooon!

Amy
    May 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Love this!! Quick question- would you mind telling me the titles of your home decor books? My hubs and I are in the process of buying a house and I have a really good idea of what I want to do, I’m always looking for inspiration/ideas. (Actually, your home has helped!!) Thanks!

May 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Not a problem! Here you go…

– Domino: The Book of Decorating by Editors of Domino Magazine
      – Design Sponge at Home by Grace Bonney
      – Home Rules by Nate Berkus
      – Home Harmony by Suzy Chiazzari
      – Katie Brown Decorates by Katie Brown
      – Decorate by Holly Becker and Joanna Copestick
      – Real Simple: Cleaning by Editors of Real Simple Magazine
      – Undecorate by Christiane Lemieux

Hope that helps and congrats on your new house! : )

Lori
    May 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Wow! This storage is incredible! I love how everything is labeled so clearly so you can always find what you need, not to mention how pretty everything looks!

Stephanie
    May 9, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I’m right there with you and the whole needing to set limits to the amount of paper [and sharpies too!]
    Also, just FYI, I’ve heard that you can “prime” a chalkboard by rubbing a stick of chalk on its side over the entire surface. Although, I’d still probably go with the markers, they sound pretty cool!

May 9, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Yeah, I read that too and tried it, but the chalk wouldn’t even mark the board. I felt like I was going to scratch it so we switched over to chalk markers. I read one review where the owner taped it off and re-painted it with chalkboard paint.

Ruth
    May 10, 2012 at 3:32 am

I love the printer in there. I can’t stand our big hunky combo scanner/printer that is just to big and bulky to actually fit in anywhere. Its even to wide for your average shelves…(probably a similar size as yours.) How nice to be able to have a place to put it out of site, where it can do its job and not get in the way.
    Just for that I would love to have this piece of furniture.

Amanda
    May 10, 2012 at 10:24 am

I’m jealous. I’m jealous you have these. I love all the organization. It makes my heart skip a beat 🙂

Jen
    May 15, 2012 at 2:10 am

I adore your organizing skills! I am always left feeling inspired whenever I check in on your blog! 🙂 Your office storage has me swooning big time. Mega love my friend!

xoxo,
    Jen

May 15, 2012 at 8:59 am

Thanks, Jen! I feel the same way when I check in on your blog. No joke, I love what you’re doing in the boy’s playroom right now! It makes me want to go out and rent some kids! ; )

Kate @ Songs Kate Sang
    May 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Oh, I am in love!

Jamie M
    July 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Ashley, Love your blog. I loved reading about your “right hand man”binder and would love to also see how you organize your three go to binders. I just moved into an apartment from my parents house and am trying to figure out the best way to organize all my important papers (like bills!) and seeing how other people do it always inspires me.

July 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thanks so much! That post is on the books for the near(ish) future. I’m still “perfecting” my system right now, haha.

Tracy G
    July 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Just discovered your blog last week loving everything. I really love these pieces I wish I would have seen them last year. I organized my Mom’s craft studio with all Ikea furniture it looks awesome but love these!! Right now moving it all around so if I can find a spot will try to get one of these!! When I am done I will send you photos 🙂

Also I notice you are using 2 different printers can you tell me which ones you use and if you like them looking to replace my current printer don’t think it is very good at all.

August 2, 2012 at 11:02 am

Thanks! Glad you found us! : ) The white printer is an InkJet All-In-One HP Photosmart C6280. I love this printer! It’s really great and can print borderless – which is nice for some of those artsy projects around the house. The big black printer is an Epson printer that they don’t make anymore but their Stylus Photo R2000 Inkjet Printer is comparable. It prints wide-format as well as CDs. I don’t use it as much as I used to so it might be finding a new home via Craigslit (haha).

Jenny
    August 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Can you please tell me what color of paint you used in your craft room? Please. Thank you!

August 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Restoration Hardware’s Slate : )

Kimberly
    December 25, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hi Ashley,

Love your ideas. Was wondering if you have any brainstorms for me regarding storage and workspace for legal files? I am a nurse who reviews many medical charts and works on legal cases when I’m not working at the hospital and need a neat and tidy work space that’s functional but sometimes I receive boxes of charts. I need something that’s going to help me control clutter and help categorize cases and be attractive most likely in an apartment setting. Any ideas?

Thanks, Kimberly

January 2, 2013 at 10:51 am

Thanks, Kimberly! In my office, I have three baskets on top of the tall storage unit where I keep all of our files. The regular size “milk crate” baskets at Target hold a regular size file perfectly. Though, I think they have another basket size a little larger that would work for legal-sized files. I’d suggest taking a file with you to the store and see what works for you (that’s what I did with a regular size file). Hope that helps!

Becky
    January 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi Ashley,

I just found you at the I Heart Organizing blog. I’m going to have to explore your blog, I love this post! May I ask where you get your pretty binders?

Thank you. 😀

January 10, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Thanks! Glad you found us! The binders are from the Martha Stewart line at Staples : )

Kristy
    January 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi Team!
    I just found the blog from I heart Organizing too! To answer the question above, you most certainly may come organize/decorate/remodel my house! I only live around the corner. Henrico Doctors area. We just bought our first house this August. We have lots of projects to work on but I have issues deciding exactly what to do. I have a half painted living room and the other rooms have paint but it looks pretty bad. Anyway I look forward to more of your projects and seriously if you ever get bored with your house….

January 10, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Hi, neighbor! Glad you found us : )

Debra Gordon
    January 11, 2013 at 5:31 am

Love the office! I was wondering what is the color paints on your walls?

January 11, 2013 at 9:24 am

The paint color is Slate by Restoration Hardware.

Brenda
    January 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Hi Ashley, just found your blog and am in love with your office colors. I finally found my inspiration for my home office. Can you tell me where you purchased the coral office chair?

January 11, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks so much! The office chair is from Home Goods. I know that finding the same thing at Home Goods twice is hard sometimes, but I’ve been to a few different Home Goods in different states and these style of chairs seem to be a staple at all of them. So, hopefully you’ll be able to put your hands on one! Also! Be sure to check Overstock. I’ve seen them pop up there once or twice.