Recipes

OH EM GEE CHICKEN

omg chicken table

Update: You will not believe how many emails and texts from friends we’ve gotten telling us how much they’ve loved this recipe. So. Many. So, in other words… if yummy chicken is your thing, add this to your meal plan for this week.

I’m all about fast and easy meals. On top of that, I’m normally one of those go-by-the-recipe kind of “cooks”. All of that went out the window a few weeks ago when I decided to attempt to recreate Longhorn’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken. Well, I failed on the Longhorn part, but not on the crazy yummy goodness part. Within the last two weeks, Greg and I have had this “mistake” for dinner at least five times. It’s fast, easy and we call it “OMG Chicken”. Greg literally said “Oh my goodness” when he tried it. Yes, it’s that good. Like in a completely-proud-of-myself-I-can-now-call-myself-a-real-cook kind of way. Then my hopes and dreams of becoming the next Giada were shattered because apparently there are a lot of variations of this recipe online (here, here, and here). But oh well, I don’t care. It’s still my and Greg’sΒ OMG Chicken.

ranch panko chicken

Since this is what’s on the menu tonight (along with steamed broccoli and stuffed mushrooms), I thought I’d go ahead, document the process, and share it with you guys. It’s a super easy meal to put together in a flash. To make the easiest chicken dish ever, here’s what you need:

• Chicken Breast Tenderloins
  • Garlic Salt
  • Plain Panko Bread Crumbs (Not regular breadcrumbs!)
  • Parmesan (good ‘ole graded Kraft is the best)
  • Ranch Dressing (I highly recommend Marzetti’s Ranch – regular or Light.)

I didn’t list the ingredient measurements because it will depend on how much and what cut of chicken you use. Plus, this dish is seriously super simple. Beyond simple! You really can’t mess it up. I’ll explain as we go along…

First off, line the tenderloins in a baking dish then season each side of the chicken with garlic salt. Spoon ranch over the chicken and coat both sides. Don’t be stingy – this is where the chicken gets it’s yummy juiciness. We ordnarily use Light Ranch dressing and you really can’t taste the difference.

Then coat the chicken with an even(ish) mixture of Panko breadcrumbs and parmesan. I tend to put a tad more parmesan than Panko – but like I said, you can’t really mess it up. Kick it up a knotch by substituting the plain panko for Chipotle Panko bread crumbs.Β Tonight, we have some friends coming over for dinner, so I’m making one dish with plain and another with Chipotle.

Pop it in the oven on 375Β° for about 25 minutes or until it’s golden brown on top, like this:

This is the Chipotle dish, so it looks a little more red than the plain will.Β It doesn’t look like much but it’s so, so good. Pinky promise.

Have any favorite super fast and easy chicken recipes? We’re always looking for more to add to our box!

Paula
    May 4, 2012 at 9:48 am

Making this tonight!

Rachel T
    May 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

This looks so good! I love how your recipes are always super fast and easy. My kind of cooking!

Ashley from Life Begins @ 23
    May 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

I can’t wait to try this! It looks so yummy.

Kelly.R
    May 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

Just like this but with salsa and some type of Mexican cheese! YUM. With a side of black beans and fresh corn AND the next day they make great tacos!

Kelly.R
      May 4, 2012 at 10:26 am

PS I think this is actually a weight watchers recipe I learned from someone in college, so, it’s pretty healthy too!

May 4, 2012 at 10:38 am

Sounds delicious!

Lauren
    May 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

Great and easy recipe. Can’t wait to try!
    PS, I love how you caught Bentley in the last photo begging for scraps. lol!

Cecelia
    May 4, 2012 at 10:46 am

Stuffed mushrooms? I want that recipe!

Jamie
    May 4, 2012 at 11:19 am

This recipe looks so good. Also, I am SO excited because I randomly stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest, checked out your “About” section and realized you guys are some fellow Lee alums! πŸ™‚ That just makes me enjoy your blog even more!

May 4, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yep! Go Flames!
      Glad you found us! : )

Melissa @ HOUSEography
    May 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Definitely trying this soon. I make a similar “dump” chicken with French dressing, dry onion soup mix, and whole cranberry cranberry sauce. Mix the ingredients together and dump them over chicken breasts – bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

May 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Ooohh, sounds delish! Gotta try that this weekend πŸ™‚

Aly
    May 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I make a variation of this all the time! Try using dijon mustard w/ a little worcestershire instead of ranch for a healthier version (and a little more punch)… it’s BOMB, I promise.

Erin @ The Great Indoors
    May 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

This looks super easy! I’m totally a by-the-recipe cook (not a chef– since I understand there’s a difference!), so it’s nice to know some of the tweaks you’ve made!

Erin

Ruth
    May 6, 2012 at 3:36 am

I do something similar with fish, but instead of ranch I use a tomato sauce,and sprinkle bread crumbs on the top. Yum.

For my easiest chicken recipe you need parts of one chicken or about 6 chicken legs (drum stick and thigh) 1.5 cups white rice, 1/2 cups brown rice, onion soup stock (from powder works just as well) and sweet paprika, salt and pepper. place the rice at the bottom of an deepish oven proof dish, on top of the rice arrange the chicken, as flatly as possible, add salt and pepper. Make one cup onion soup stock (more or less) and pour it over the chicken. pour an extra 3-4 glasses water over that. pop in a medium oven for 1.5 till 2 hours (covered, of course). It is ready when the rice is done. I usually check a couple of times so it doesn’t dry out. Its delicious and easy.

Stephanie
    May 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

For sure try Melissa’s recipe, I use that one as my go to all the time. Super, duper easy and everyone always wants the recipe. I am going to try yours this week, I love quick and easy recipes.

Jill
    May 6, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Ashley OMG this was so good. As soon as I saw your post I decided to make it for a dinner at friends. It was a hit. I live in australia we dont have panko breadcrumbs so I just used some cornflake crumbs. it was so good. I will be making it again this weekend for Mothers day

KRISTEN
    May 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

This was delicious!! We made it the same way that you suggested. We also tried your cinnimon roll recipie, and it was YUMMY. Keep the delicious ideas coming!

Skyanna
    May 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

This was so good! I made it with buffalo sauce instead of ranch and my husband loved it! So quick and easy.

Ruth
    May 13, 2012 at 3:01 am

Beautiful post. I haven’t seen that in years and totally didn’t notice the bath sofa.

Megan
    May 16, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thanks for the recipe! I made this last night for my very picky hubby and he was ready for thirds! This will definitely be put on regular rotation.

[email protected]
    May 26, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I made this too, but we didn’t have all the ingredients and with a small budget we used what was in our pantry. We had cheddar cheese and great value breadcrumbs for chicken. My husband loved it, he said it was the best chicken he’s had and he requested it again.

When I went to Walmart I picked up the planko and parmesan like you suggested. My husband doesn’t want to try anything different, but I’m going to try making it half the first way we tried it, and the second half your way.

I just wanted to tell you all this because I’m back checking the recipe because it’s on the menu again tonight! πŸ™‚

Thanks for this.

May 28, 2012 at 9:41 am

Greg LOVES cheddar, so we’ll have to try that out too! haha : ) I’m glad you liked it!

Andrea
    December 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Hi, I know this is an old post but I just made this for dinner last night and it was wonderful. So easy too. I even added chiptole powder to the ranch dressing to make it spicy. Thank you!

December 6, 2013 at 4:56 pm

So happy to hear! Definitely have to try the chipotle, yum πŸ™‚

Kimberly
    January 4, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I have followed the directions and made this twice now…I can’t get it to brown? What am I doing wrong? Otherwise it’s delish!

January 5, 2014 at 8:35 am

Hmm, maybe just leave it in there a bit longer or put it on broil for a minute before you take it out. Hope that helps!

Rachel
    January 12, 2014 at 2:41 pm

This looks delicious. I have frozen tenderloins, do you think I need to wait to thaw it before getting started? I’ve had some slow cooker recipes where I just throw it in frozen.

January 12, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I tried it frozen once and it was super watery. Best to thaw them out and pat dry.

Michelle
    June 5, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Can u use regular bread crumbs if u don’t have panko ones

June 9, 2014 at 10:36 am

The Panko bread crumbs make it have a crunchy texture, whereas the regular ones might make it soggy.

Joya
    July 30, 2014 at 11:09 pm

This was Sooooo good, my family loved it! I will definitely be coming back for more great recipes.

July 31, 2014 at 10:27 am