Ashley's Office Organizing

FROM FORKS TO MARKERS

caddy closeup

Operation Organization is in full swing here in my office. As I type, I’m surrounded by stacks of papers waiting to be filed. My current desk has two large(ish) filing drawers, but I’m not going to be keeping this desk forever. Therefore, a new solution is in order. And until I find one, they are scattered on my desk like so…

Having all of these loose papers around is driving me crazy – which is why a trip to the store is in order for today. Nevertheless, I keep having to remind myself that organizing is a lot like sunburns… it always looks worse before it gets better. Over on the other side of the room, I’m just about finished organizing all of my “crafty stuff” in the cabinets. I’m planning on doing a “big reveal” post of the whole organized kit and caboodle next week – complete with the requested ins and outs of the Martha Stewart Craft furniture.

One of my favorite things about organizing is thinking outside the box. Finding things to repurpose makes my day. I picked up this metal utensil caddy from Target for $14. I love the combination of the gray metal finish on the outside and the shiny coral finish on the inside. It also rotates, which is a plus. At the time, I wasn’t completely sure what I was going to use it for, but I knew it had optimal organizational potential (wow, Greg’s vocabulary is rubbing off). When I got home, I remembered I had some chalkboard labels I’ve been wanting to use. I love these labels because you can write, erase, and write again. They also peel off really easily, so if you don’t get the label on there perfectly straight, you can peel it off and try again.

Put the two together, and you have a handy dandy and oh-so-cute utensil caddy for Sharpies and colored pencils. I used one section for black Sharpies (every household needs a good amount of these!), one for my collection of colored Sharpies, and the other for colored pencils.

Every time I see it sitting in the cabinet, all of it’s cute, colorful and labeled goodness makes me happy. I also like being able to just pick up the caddy and bring it to wherever I’m working in my office or around the house. Who knew an utensil caddy could be so useful?

So, how about you… Do you repurpose things for the sake of organization? Any tips/tricks to share?

Btw: Don’t forget to enter the $100 ErinCondren.com giveaway!Β

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods
    May 2, 2012 at 9:44 am

No way dude! I totally looked at this and almost bought this yesterday for all of my markers and pens hahah!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove
    May 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

What a clever way to re-purpose something! I think the utensil caddy is more suited for your craft cabinet than forks & knives!

May 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

Thanks! Me too ; )

Michelle from The236.net
    May 2, 2012 at 10:00 am

LOVE! I’m about to embark on creating a crafting/sewing space in our office area in the basement. I’m excited to get organized! I really love that caddy. Great choice!

Jen
    May 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

Repurpose is the best part of organization. Or thinking outside the box such as a gorgeous basket used for blankets in cooler months now houses yoga mats, floor pillows, and weights! Or an ugly umbrella stand turns into a spray painted extra toilet paper holder. Or tablecloths turned curtains or pillows? I’m all for that stuff.

I can’t wait to see the big office re-org post. It’s going to make my office organizing seem less daunting!

May 2, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yep, they are! Same here, I use them all the time : )

VTMamateurs
    May 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Great idea for the kids arts and crafts stuff too!!

[email protected]
    May 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I repurpose shoe boxes and empty diaper boxes for organization. It’s not pretty, but right now it’s all we can do until things get better for us financially.

Speaking of, I’m curious about your organization book of “Finances.” Will you be creating a post on how you organize your finances? I’m not asking about specific dollars, but I’m curious about other people’s methods. I do the financing in our household and I use Quicken.

May 2, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yeah, we’re still “perfecting” our Finance notebook system but when we’re done, we’ll definitely be posting about it : )

Sarah
    May 3, 2012 at 12:48 am

I know your sharpies look pretty with the writing tip up, but I would flip them around so they don’t dry up

May 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

Good tip! I didn’t think about that : ) Thanks!

Ruth
    May 3, 2012 at 1:58 am

That looks fantastic. So do all your files. I am totally jealous of all your sharpies!

Liz @ Liz's Life
    May 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Love the caddy! My office is in need of some serious organization…. maybe this will motivate me! I love Sharpies too and have quite a collection.

Just found your blog and love it! I’m your newest follower. Keep up the good work!

May 3, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thanks so much! Glad you found us : )

May 11, 2012 at 11:45 am

Thanks! They are from the Martha Stewart line at Staples. Oh, and you can find the utensil caddy in the outdoor dining section at Target. I was just there yesterday and they still had plenty. Hope that helps!

Donna Davenport
    August 4, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I wanted to know the brand of your colored pencils.

August 4, 2014 at 8:59 pm

They’re Martha Stewart : )