Tips + Tricks

QUICK TIP: LAUNDRY NOTES

laundry notes

Truth be told, I’m not a big fan of doing laundry. On the other hand, having a full laundry basket is one of my least favorite things and I love the feeling of knowing the dresser and closet are filled with fresh, clean clothes neatly folded and put away. When it comes to laundry around here, Greg and I are what I guess you could call a tag team. Sometimes, I put a load in the washer, but he ends up being putting it in the dryer. Other times, it’s the opposite. Today’s quick tip is of the housekeeping nature and something Greg and I do to make our laundry life a little easier.

This may sound crazy at first, but bear with me for a second… We keep a dry erase marker on the windowsill above the washing machine and leave laundry-related notes and reminders for each other. For instance, if I put a load in and there’s a shirt in there that needs to be hung up rather than put in the dryer, I just leave a note on the washer reminding Greg (or myself!) that it doesn’t go in the dryer. Yes, we leave the notes right ON the washer/dryer itself. Its slick surface basically makes the washer a huge box-shaped wipe-off board, so our notes come off very easily. This messaging system is really handy, and it helps answer all of the “laundry-related” questions for this washing and drying duo.

UPDATE: A few of our readers have notified us that they had some issues with this tip. When they went to erase the marker, it didn’t come off! We’ve suggested a few solutions in the comments below, but, as with most tips, tricks, and products, you should definitely try this in an inconspicuous place before you start using it in full force! If anyone has had this problem and has found a solution for erasing the marker, please leave a comment!

How about you… Do you have any laundry-doing tips to share? Tell us about them!

NICOLE
    June 5, 2012 at 10:54 am

Genius!

Lindsay R
    June 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

I love this idea! Totally going to the office supply store on my way home from work.

Carrie @DreamGreenDIY
    June 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

Awesome idea – Thanks for the tip!

Andrea
    June 5, 2012 at 10:56 am

Love your quick tips. This is a fab idea!

Sarah M
    June 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

How easy and genius is that?! Maybe this will motivate me to actually DO laundry LOL! πŸ˜‰

Senora H-B
    June 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

BRILLIANT. FREAKING BRILLIANT. You guys just changed my life.

Elizabeth
    June 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

What a great idea! I never would have thought of using the washer’s surface that way.

Laura
    June 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

Great idea. I wont do laundry without Shout Color Catcher Sheets. It’s just me, no spouse or kids, so I don’t end up with enough of any color to do an entire load so I wash mixed loads all the time. The Shout Color Catcher Sheets may increase the cost of each load a little but in the long run they’re saving me money because I’m not having to replace things due to the shirt that bled in the wash. I also wash everything in cold water on the gentle cycle. I wash my jeans separately, turn them inside out and don’t bother with the Shout Color Catcher Sheets which lets them re-dye themselves. My jeans don’t seem to fade nearly as much or as fast since I started doing this.

Robin @ our semi organic life
    June 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

How cool! It makes sense since washer/dryers are wipeable and dirty clothes are the perfect material to wipe it clean. Way cool.

M
    June 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

That is an awesome idea! I have a different washer/dryer, though, so it won’t work.

Naomi
    June 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

My husband and I are a tag team as well πŸ™‚ But you guys are the cutest and the dry erase idea is gold.

β™₯ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

Ash @ HumberHomeProject
    June 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

This is genius! oh my gosh.
    I always forget which non-dryer shirts I put in a load, only to find them shrunken or mis-shaped after I pull them out of the dryer!

you just blew my mind πŸ™‚

Barb
    June 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I usually do the laundry but there have been times when my better half has done it…..incorrectly, I might add. SO…I typed out complete front loader instructions for white loads, colors and sheets and towels. I laminated them at Staples…punched a hole…put them on a ring and hung them on the side of the washer. Now when he does laundry…he knows what buttons/cycles to use.

Also great for company/guests since everyone’s washer is different!!!

So far…So good!!!

Barb

Missy G.
    June 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Love that tip! I’m also crazy jealous that Greg helps out with the laundry!!

June 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Thanks! He’s a trooper! : )

Lori
    June 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Brilliant!

Amanda C
    June 5, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Why didn’t I think of that? So simple but freakin’ genius!

Ruth
    June 6, 2012 at 2:31 am

Fantastic! But what I am even more impressed by is that you can actually see the surface of the washing machine and its not covered in clutter, LOL!

We don’t have a dryer, we use the sun instead. Its the best way to go if you have enough sun.

Amy
    June 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Saw this on Pinterest the other day…good idea!

Dacia
    June 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Really good tip! I love it!!

Barb
    June 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

I do most of the laundry at our home but I sometimes get in a rush and throw everything right from the washer into the dryer to later find I have shrunk a favorite top….I came up with an idea to leave a magnet that I made on the washer whenever I put in an article that needs to be hung up to dry rather than put into the dryer. Helps me:)

Ammy Belle
    June 11, 2012 at 9:48 am

Great idea!

I have been looking for that Mrs. Meyer Oxygen Bleach stuff but didn’t see it on their website – where did you get it?

Thanks! πŸ™‚

June 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

Got it at Target, it’s awesome stuff! : )

Christine
    June 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Dry erase markers are amazing little things, aren’t they? I hadn’t thought about applying it to laundry, but that would absolutely work. Great idea!

Frankie
    June 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

I did this however the marker does not come off!! πŸ™

June 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hmm, we’ve done this for years and have never had that problem. Try using some Windex and a paper towel. Also, it’s probably best not to keep the note on their too long. Hope that helps!

Jessica
    June 26, 2012 at 8:07 pm

did this with an expo marker (dry erase)in BIG letters!!!! went to wipe it off, it won’t come off. and it’s a slick surface. GREAT!!

Greg
      June 27, 2012 at 10:08 am

That’s really strange! As Ash said in the comment above, we’ve never had this problem. If the Windex method doesn’t work, this page about erasing old marks from a wipe-off board at WikiHow seems to have several things to try. Just be careful about which methods you use, depending on the finish on your washer or dryer. I’ll be sure to edit the post so that people know to test the dry erase marker in an inconspicuous place before using it.

JoAnne
    August 1, 2012 at 9:30 am

Stuck on dry erase marker comes of best with Rubbing Alcohol and a cotton ball. Hope that helps.

Rebecca
    May 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

We count how many hang dries we have (I hang dry a LOT) and then use magnetic numbers on the front of the washing machine. We both know what types of things get hang dried and it helps to know how many you’re looking for. It’s not uncommon to have 12 hang dries in a load!

Jenni
    May 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

My 2 year old got ahold of a permanent fine tip black marker and gave me a custom Picasso on my white dishwasher, yikes! Thankfully it had a shiny surface and magic eraser took it off with just a faint line, you had to look close and know where it was to even notice! Hope this helps πŸ™‚

Carol
    May 28, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Hand sanitizer (which contains alcohol) will clean dry marker off of the dry-erase boards very well when it has been left on way too long. It would probably work on the washer’s metal surface too.

Anna
    May 28, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Fun tip!
    The magic eraser takes care of marker stains. Plus, you can use nail polish remover as well.
    Love your blog.
    I was gonna say, if you have kids watch out for the marker-they will decorate your machines:) I think it would be cool.