Mood Boards

MOOD BOARD: FUN + FAMILY

When I was in Disneyland last month, we ate lunch at Redd Rocket’s Pizza Port, the quick-service restaurant in Tomorrowland. On the back wall of the restaurant, they had an awesome collection of vintage Disneyland visionary posters. I immediately thought about how cool it would be to have a family bonus room or maybe even a kids’ playroom with these on the wall. Last night, I Googled “vintage Disneyland ride posters” and found a slew of inspiring works of art. Just looking at them on Google makes me wish I was back in Pizza Port with the rest of my family!

Even if you aren’t a big Disney fan, you’re bound to gain some inspiration from these posters. They have a definite mid-century flair; not to mention the awesome colors! That brings me to this week’s mood board…

This room was a lot of fun to put together because a bonus room is something we’ve always wanted. A room perfect for playing games or watching movies. Maybe one day when we close in the carport and make it an extra room, but until then, we have mood boards to help us daydream…

1. Finishes – In this room, color is the star. Barely-there gray walls with white trim work make an excellent backdrop. The wood pieces in this room (coffee table, TV unit, side tables, etc.) are all a natural walnut finish. Nothing says mid-century more than walnut! With all of the color and warm wood going on in the room, white accents really pop and bring in some modern flair. When you have light walls, lots of color and light furniture, it’s always good to have a dark element to ground the room. In this case, the “grounding color” will be dark navy blue in the form of a comfy sectional – but we’ll get to that in a minute!
2. Bella Porte Citrine Curtain Panel – The pattern is simple and modern, and curtains are a great way to bring in another color in the mix. I love this shade of yellow, and it goes so well with the other colors.
3. DIY Vintage Disneyland Art – Wall art is a great place to get your DIY on! For some one-of-a-kind (and non-cheesy) Disneyland artwork, print some old black and white photos of Disneyland off the internet or use photos out of coffee table books. With all of the other colors in the room, the black and white photos in gallery frames will really stand out and make a statement.
4. Maskros Pendant Lamp – This light fixture easily made it to the mood board because it reminds me of the Alice In Wonderland-inspired decorations at the Mad Tea Party ride at Disneyland.
5. Vintage Disney Collector’s Poster – Originals are definitely hard, if not impossible, to come by. An original was auctioned off last year in Hollywood for $2,655, so that’s a bit out of most people’s price range, even if they could find one. However, you can score a 12×18 reproduction on Ebay for around $6 plus shipping. You can also find a good collection of them here.
6. Karlstad Sectional – This dark navy blue sectional is the anchor of the entire room. It’s simple, clean and modern, making it go well with the other mid-century style furniture. I would definitely stain the block legs with some walnut stain to tie it in with the rest of the furniture.
7. Knitted Blood Orange Pouf – I just can’t get enough of this pouf from CB2! It’s cute, great color and serves as extra lounge seating – perfect for a bonus room.
8. Zuri Coffee Table – The warm wood tone and round shape of this coffee table really brings some great contrast to the room’s bright colors and straight lines. I also added this white bowl as an example of how white accents would work really well in this room (like I mentioned in #1).
9. Cole Chair & Ottoman – I’ve been a huge fan of this chair and ottoman for a while. I even used it in this I Love Lucy-inspired mood board a while back, as well as this Parent Trap-inspiried mood board way way back.
10. Vintage Aluminum Camera – Along with white accents, silver also looks really good against this color combo. And who doesn’t bring a camera to Disneyland? Yet another good way to bring in the “theme” without being “themey”.
11. Tivoli Audio Cherry Clock Radio – Simply put, I have a crush on this clock radio. I love how it’s retro and modern all at the same time.
12. Dash & Albert Diamond Rug – Not only is this the design lovely, but it’s an indoor/outdoor rug – making it perfect for a bonus room with a lot of kid action. Just take it outside and wash it off with the hose!

So, what do you think? Have any favorite pieces?

Disneyland poster artwork found here.

Lori H
    July 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm

great board! Love all your choices.

Lindsay
    July 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I freaking love this mood board!!!

Mallory
    July 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I’m normally not a “big Disney fan” but I really love this board and the posters are great!
    You did a really good job at picking everything out and putting it together. I never would have put that sofa with the other pieces but it looks so good!

sarah m
    July 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

love!

Naomi
    July 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

That’s my couch! I love all your picks 🙂

♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

Holly
    July 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I MUST HAVE THOSE POSTERS! Wow, all the memories of visting DisneyWorld in 1976 (I was 7) just flooded my brain seeing those, especially the Peoplemover!!

Ash @ HumberHomeProject
    July 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Oh my goodness… I now want to buy a poster for every room and design around it!!

This is not a healthy discovery for a deprived Disney World junkie like myself… dangerous!! haha 😉

I LOVE the board you put together though. It’s so fun and comfy looking!

Erin @ His & Hers
      July 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

I am also a deprived Disney World junkie and these posters are amazing. I definitely need them in my house. I love how they hint at Disney without having Mickey and Pooh plastered all over them–they’re like Disney decor for adults! Thanks for sharing!

Christy
    July 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

You saved the day! I am designing my baby boy’s nursery around a space/rockets theme and I have been looking everywhere for vintage prints of rockets…or anything space themed. Thank you!!!

Ruth
    July 23, 2012 at 1:28 am

I love that knitted orange poof. I have had my eye on it for a while and am thinking how to diy.

Lisa
    July 23, 2012 at 8:53 am

Great pics- something so magical about Disney. It truly is the happiest place on earth- what a great vibe to infuse into the home!

Courtney
    July 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

I’ve always known that I am going to decorate my child’s nursery using the vintage movie/ride posters from Disneyland. I love how they look! Great mood board!

Cece Summers
    July 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

This is such a creative idea. It is a manifestation of the Disney brand yet it doesn’t have the Disney characters on it. This is definitely a mature approach to Disney. I hope you can post more on this. How about mature approach to Disney Princesses? I would really love to see that.

July 25, 2012 at 10:30 am

Hmmm… Disney Princesses… interesting idea! I’ll have to write that one down : )

Jason
    July 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I love the room and I love the posters.

MCM and Disney – two of my favorite things! I think I may have to get a few of those posters for my breezeway – especially the adventureland/tropical ones. Or, how cool would it be to do tropical in summer and change to matterhorn, etc. in the winter!