Currently Loving Decor Trends

NICE PLATING

Decorating with Plates

Plates hung on the wall. Love it or hate it? This is one of those timeless decorating trends I’ve been noticing more and more lately… But I can’t decide if I completely love it.

My first memory of seeing plates hanging on the wall was at my great grandparent’s house in Indianapolis. My Great Grandma Henderson was the original Donna Reed – her everyday uniform was a freshly pressed dress complete with an apron and heels. Coincidentally, Donna Reed also had plates hung in her kitchen. These days plates hanging on the wall can come across as super traditional and a tad old fashioned, but it’s becoming an interesting eclectic “granny chic” trend that I’m falling in love with. Plus, I think they’d be a lot of fun to collect over time.

Mix matching colors and patterns is a great way to make a plate collection look collected and unique. Also, a random cascading pattern can bring a lot of softness to an otherwise clean-lined room. I especially love the turtle plate! Image found here.

I love how the plate designs pick up on the Ikat pillows – making this is a great example of tying in the plate designs with the other accessories in the room. Image found here.

Displaying plates in straight lines all the way up to the ceiling is a great modern variation! I love how all of the colors really pop against the white walls. By the way, check out that molding around the door on the right! Image found here.

I really like how this collection is so closely grouped together then there’s one on the top a little farther away. Oh, and did you notice the black and beige bulldog plate? Great modern touch! Image found here.

I love pretty much everything in this room! One thing I really love is the plates hanging on the wall on either side of the window. They really help add some height and makes the eye move up toward the ceiling. Image found here.

There are so many things I love about this photo… the colors, vintage vibe, painted brick wall and most of all, the plates! Image found here.

This collection of white and gold plates look very smart and dainty. I love the idea of mixing in a few “guest book” plates with vintage ones! Image found here.

Black and white plates on a black wall = love! Gotta love some great contrast. It ties in perfectly with the all-white bedding and stark white lamp. Image found here.

I love the look of this plate collection on the dark gray walls. It makes the plates really stand out! …and gives me some thoughts about doing this in our dining room. Image found here.

This group of all white plates is a really great traditional look but the placement makes the whole thing look really modern. I like how they overlapped a few of them here and there to give it a really staggered look. Image found here.

So, what’s the verdict? Yay or Nay?

Ivy
    July 27, 2012 at 10:12 am

Not a fan. Don’t care for small little circles on the wall. Haha. I enjoy more of the oversized art on walls look.

Heather
    July 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

I LOVE the way plates on the wall look but they give me so much anxiety! I feel like they could fall and smash at any time.

Leslie at Habitual Rearranger
    July 27, 2012 at 10:36 am

I like it when it is an intentional design with coordinated pieces. My GMIL will just stick things up as she gets them-whether they ‘go’ or not and I don’t like that approach:)

Regina
    July 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

I think the look is too busy, and I really don’t like them above beds. I can just imagine one falling in the middle of the night.

Amanda
    July 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

I absolutely love the look, but I don’t think it would work in my own house. I just like to drool over it in other people’s homes!

Keli
    July 27, 2012 at 11:07 am

I don’t like it. I like a cleaner look. I can’t pinpoint exactly what I have against hanging plates on the wall but imagine a kid sitting at a table and gazing at the walls while the adults laugh and talk, the kid just can’t figure out the decoration. “Mommy” he asks “why does aunt Vickie have plates on the wall? Don’t they have cabinets? Can they borrow ours?” I’m not sure why I imagine a boy in this scenario lol, but that is how I feel about it. I do, however, love pretty plates.

Lindsey
    July 27, 2012 at 11:18 am

Yay for plates!

Elf
    July 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Total Yay!!! I love it, you’ve totally inspired me to do something with my plate collection instead of just stuffing them in the cupboard!
    The monochrome collection is less “in-your-face” and easier on the eye, but on the other hand, if you already own some colorful plates I’d say go for it anyway!

PS. I love your home anyway, you’ve got some great design skills!

July 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Aw, thanks! We’re still working at it, haha : )

Christine H
    July 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm

While some of the plate presentations that you shared are attractive, it’s not for me — too busy, too contrived, too much! I agree with Ivy, I prefer large pieces of art to small arrangements, especially now that plate arrangements and gallery walls seem so trendy. Keep up the great work on your blog! Your design sense is superb…..

Naomi
    July 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m not a huge fan, but that “vintage vibe” one is pretty darn cute πŸ˜‰ But I usually go for that kind of style. I have been noticing that this trend is coming back a lot lately.

β™₯ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

Classof65
    July 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I really like plates on the walls, but I prefer them in the kitchen and/or the dining room, not so much in other areas. I have a grouping of English brown transferware plates on a wall in my dining room and I really like them.

Paige
    July 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I’ve never been a fan, but I have to admit I REALLY like two of the arrangements you shared! I love the arrangment over the vintage tv aquarium and the dining room arrangement on the black wall. I would like to find a place to do this in my home if I can make it look as good as they do:) It will be a fun project to see if I can pull it off!

Lara Patterson
    July 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I saw Sabrina Soto from HGTV do this not to long go. Needless to say her arrangement looked great. My granny also hung plates in her dining room. Good memories:)

Barb
    July 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Nay!!! Sorry…..

Ash @ HumberHomeProject
    July 28, 2012 at 10:03 am

My gut reaction was “nay” but the more I looked at the different collections you shared, the more I could envision this in our dining room… So I think I’ve moved to the “yay” column πŸ™‚

SarahN
    July 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I’m leaning to no, but some of your pictures got me thinking – there is a bare wall behind my dining/kitchen table – maybe this is the solution. But I share the angst on making sure they don’t fall!

Hilary @ My So-Called Home
    July 30, 2012 at 8:34 am

Wow I never realized so many people are against plate walls while I myself love them now and always hace! We did a plate wall in our dining room and I just love it.

Erin
    July 30, 2012 at 8:50 am

I really like plate displays that are arranged in fun asymmetrical shape or using very modern colorful plates. I also like the idea of hanging them in a kitchen or dining room, as I would want to use plates that I could actually use in the kitchen or for serving. Because I am so practical, there is just something weird about hanging plates in the bedroom or living room.

Jennifer M
    July 31, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I love the look of a plate wall! I would love to pull one together for my dining room. On Modern Family they have plates mixed with art on the wall in the kitchen and it looks great, looks like it’s been collected over time.

Serena
    August 2, 2012 at 3:20 am

Granny chic – LOVE it! I have to say the B&W plates on the dark wall really update the look and give a traditional idea a new glamourous feel.