Tips + Tricks

QUICK TIP: MAGIC IN A BOTTLE

Dawn + Vinegar + 1 Bottle = Magic in a Bottle!

Lately, the glass in our master bathroom shower has been giving me anΒ aneurysm. It seems like there are always smudges, soap scum, and water marks on it, and it was getting on my last nerve. I must have clean, sparkly glass! I tried Kaboom, Lysol Shower Cleaner, Scrubbing Bubbles, the “dryer sheet trick” and even a light scrub of Barkeeper’s Friend. (You’re not supposed to use it on glass, I know! I was desperate. Luckily, it didn’t scratch the glass!) Then I remembered my Aunt Dee Dee telling me about a homemade cleaner she uses all the time on her shower: 1 part Dawn, 2 parts vinegar.

Luckily, I had an extra spray bottle on hand, so I anxiously mixed up the concoction and went to work.Β Simply put… this stuff is magic in a bottle! I keep the bottle underneath the sink in the bathroom. When I get out of the shower, I just spray down the glass with the magical concoction, let it set for a minute, then spray down the glass and it sparkles like new!

After doing some Pin-searching (Pinterest is the new Google, right?!), I found that a lot of other people have done this as well, though they microwave the vinegar before mixing in the Dawn and mix equal parts of the two. I’m not sure what microwaving does for it, but my Aunt said if you do two parts vinegar to one part Dawn, it’s easier to rinse – making it perfect for the shower. If you want a cleaner more on the sudsy side, try doing equal parts.

Casey @ wafflingdesign
    July 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

I recently discovered 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water makes a great refreshing spray for yoga mats!

After spraying it down, I let it dry and it smells fine now! I didnt even rinse it off and you cant smell the vinegar! (and I would know because with some poses my nose is flat on that mat!)

Barb
    July 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

I love this and have been using forever in the bathroom. I heated it to mixit but don’t know why it needs to be heated. It is indeed great for tub, tub walls, shower everything. Where was this years and $$$$ ago. Simply the best.

Dawn dish soap is the miracle ingredient. Do you have the de-skunk formula for dogs that centers around Dawn? Didimention say that right? Use when your dog is skunked as tomato juice wash is a bust!!!

Let me know other uses for it if you find others and will do same.

My life is easier with this great recipe for sparkle clean bathroom!

Barb
    July 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

Damn the self corrected on the iPad. Sorry for the errors and craziness in the above. Yes, I am college educated…but the iPad runs away from me and I don’t always proof read.

Yikes!

B.

Melanie @ MJ
    July 11, 2012 at 10:54 am

We started doing this when we ran out of tilex – works wonders!

Keri
    July 11, 2012 at 11:44 am

The only reason to heat the vinegar is that it will mix with the Dawn more easily and you won’t have to shake the bottle so much. This also works on plastic shower and tub surrounds-it’s like magic!

Amanda
    July 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm

What a great tip! We use a squeegee after every shower and we rarely have to scrub the shower door! You might try that too πŸ™‚

Naomi
    July 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Great concoction!

β™₯ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

SarahN
    July 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ve never bought bathroom cleaner or glass cleaner (in the six months I’ve been living out of home). Vinegar for EVERYTHING I say (well mostly!). Just have to be careful to not use straight vinegar on glass, as it can be too strong and turn it murky, I hear… So far no issues!

Tamsyn
    July 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Heya, I’m in Australia and am just wondering if Dawn is regular dish soap or if I should be looking for something in particular?

July 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Yep, regular ‘ole dish soap : )

Barb
      July 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

But, but, but… It has to be DAWN detergent…something about it. It is indeed the magic in the bottle!!!!

Hilary
    July 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Good to have a real life opinion of it…I’ll have to give this a try! Also, I have an Aunt Dede too, how funny!

Ruth
    July 12, 2012 at 1:54 am

Hey! Welcome to my world!! I have been cleaning all my windows and glass like that for years. I also substitute fabric softener with vinegar (depending if I want fragrant laundry) or odorless (the vinegar gives the odorless laundry, and cleans out the washing machine really well. Every time my dish washer starts giving me murky dishes I run it with vinegar and it goes back to doing a good job.
    Vinegar and backing soda are my hero’s!

Jana
    July 13, 2012 at 12:24 am

Yes!! Down with harsh chemicals! Vinegar is like a wonder cleaning agent!

Lindsey
    July 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Pinterest IS the new Google!

Cortney
    July 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I saw a tip somewhere that put this in one of those sponge things that you can put soap in. Ya know, the ones that release soap as you use it. But I don’t imagine you would need the scrubber part if you used it regularly.

Also I use the bleach alternative Dawn to get almost all stains out of My daughter’s clothes… If it has set in I use with borax(THE miracle cleaner).
    πŸ™‚

Kim
    July 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Is this site EVER going to get back into home decor/DIY stuff? I feel like there’s been nothing worthwhile and VERY FEW posts since the kitchen reveal and even during that the updates were few and far between. Any update?!

July 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Yep! I’ve been out of town for a while, but we’re now getting back into the swing of things. We’re posting a few announcements later on today and a living room update is coming on Wednesday : )

Kim
    July 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Awesome!! Thanks for responding!!

Becci
    July 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi, i’m from Austria and there is no DAWN. Do you think regular dish soap will work too? πŸ˜‰

July 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, I think so. The thing about Dawn is its “grease fighting” power. So as long as it’s a similar kind of dish soap, I think it will work. Hope that helps! : )

Anne
      September 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

@Becci: yes, it’s called Fairy here πŸ˜‰

Nikki
    July 17, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Sorry to belabor the point…I am a BIG vinegar user…but I stumbled on this a couple of weeks ago….every post has a picture of the blue Dawn…but I’ve always bought the one with Olay…..does it matter? Or is the blue one the magic ticket?
    Thanks!

July 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I would think the one with Olay might leave a film on shiny surfaces. So, you might want to stick to the blue Dawn/dish soap. Hope that helps! : )

Rummel
    July 18, 2012 at 3:30 am

does have to be Dawn or any brand of dishwashing soap ?

thanks

July 18, 2012 at 9:17 am

Yeah, I think so. The thing about Dawn is its β€œgrease fighting” power. So as long as it’s a similar kind of dish soap, I think it will work. Hope that helps! : )

KJ and Co.
    July 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I had good luck with this recipe before, but you need be careful about getting it on tile as sometimes the blue in the dish soap can tint your tile grout!

Holly F
    July 26, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I will try this but wanted to let you know I have had good luck using the Magic Eraser on my glass shower doors

Gloria
    August 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm

How much dish soap and how much vinegar

August 31, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Two parts vinegar to one part Dawn : )

Laura
    February 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I’ve just begun using this as well. I just found something on Pinterest about shining up a stainless sink with baking soda and vinegar. My sink is OLD but it did help it some. Woot! (I didn’t do the last step of wiping down with olive oil but I’m sure that would help the shine as well.)
    I definitely need to buy baking soda and vinegar in larger quantities!

Dee
    June 3, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I read heaps about Dawn the last week or so and tried to buy it at our local Woolworths store ( in Australia) NOT available, I know it used to be available in Australia, why not now ?? It can be used for so much. – from being an instant flea killer for your dog to aphids on your fruit trees to removing hair product build-up ….the benefits are endless …I’ve just finished a lengthy testimonial for Dawn on Facebook

Judy
    January 30, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I too use and LOVE Dawn & Vinegar to clean with it’s the best. Another tip is to use a shower curtain and your shower door doesn’t get all that soap and water on it. You can use a clear or white curtain, just get a tension rod and stick it up between you and the door. Makes life easier.

Melissa
    December 22, 2016 at 8:40 am

Where in Australia can i buy DAWN? Really interested to trial it with vinegar for cleaning.