Living Room

LITTLE CHANGES IN THE LIVING ROOM

Since we’ve been focusing so much on the kitchen over the last few months, the living room has found itself on the back burner. Even so, we’ve managed to make a few changes here and there gearing up for even bigger changes down the road. Here’s what the living room looked like a few months ago…

We took the chair next to the fire place and put it in the guest room and gave the floor lamp to my mom. It looks really good in my parents’ master bedroom! We also filled up the TV unit with more books and accessories. We took out the pillows that came with the sofa and added three new colorful throw pillows. With all of those little changes, here’s what the living room is looking like today…

No, we didn’t paint. This photo was taken with natural light (as it should be!). Everything still looks rather sparse – maybe even more sparse than before. But we really have made some small improvements, and sometimes you’ve got to take some things away before you can move closer to where you’re going.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been trying to think of ways to bring in more white to the living room to tie in with the white kitchen. An easy first step: accessories. I picked up this little gal from Cold Harbor Antique Mall (an awesome place I showed you guys in this post). It reminds me of something my great grandma had at her house in Indiana, so it was an easy buy. Plus, it was only seven bucks. Score! I’ll have to be sure to fill it with some Werther’s Original next time my grandparents come to town. Those are my grandpa’s favorite!

Even though we’re still waiting to get a new sofa and love seat, I was tired of the lack of color and decided to pick up a few throw pillows from Target. My favorite of the three is the red Ikat pillow. I love the coral-ish red color – or what I’ve been calling, “Design Sponge red“. I’m still trying to decide if the brown pillow looks more tribal or mid-century. I think I’m just torn because there’s not much else to tie in with it at the moment. So, in the mean time, I’m going with mid-century. Eventually, I want to have a fun, eclectic collection of pillows that look like they go together but are completely different.

1. We hung this mirror over the fireplace as a temporary solution for hanging something up there. The grand scheme plan is to install a reclaimed wood mantle – which will tie in with #3.
2. Here, we want to find a new accent chair along with some wall art. When it comes to the wall art, we’re thinking about maybe hanging a large, framed vintage movie poster (maybe one from this oldie post). It will make a statement and be a great chance to show some of our personalities. I’m gunning for either the French Bringing Up Baby poster and switching it out for White Christmas around the holidays.
3. I have a big, big crush on reclaimed wood coffee tables. I want to buy one, Greg wants to build one. I’m not sure who’s going to end up winning out on that one, but either way, we’re both hoping one or the other will make its way into the living room some point in the near future.
4. A new sofa and love seat!! Oh my goodness, how I am anxious cross this off the list! The beige fabric sticks out like a sore thumb against the gray walls. These pieces feel like a speed bump on the road to the style we’re hoping for. Luckily, we have a good idea of what we want (more on that here).
5. Since the living room is so open to the dining area and kitchen, a rug would be nice to define the living area. I came across THE rug at Home Good and, stupid me, let it slip through my fingers. Don’t you hate it when that happens? I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it just means there’s something better down the road.
6. More and more pillows. Like I mentioned earlier, once we get the new sofa and love seat, I’m dying to put together a fun, random, anything goes concoction of throw pillows.

Whew… I think that’s about it… for now! Have any of you undergone any recent living room updates? Have a crush on reclaimed coffee tables too?

By the way… As I mentioned yesterday, TONIGHT Greg and I will be hosting Wayfair.com‘s live #HomemakerHappyHr Twitter chat from 8-9PM EST. We’ll be talking about his + her decorating and answering live questions. Plus! Every 10 minutes throughout the hour, they’ll be giving away a $25 Wayfair gift card! He hope you guys will join in on the fun! It will be nice to see some familiar “faces” ; ) See you there!!

Also! Check out our guest post over on the Wayfair blog!  Be sure to weigh in on your co-decorating stories and tips!

Carrie @DreamGreenDIY
    July 18, 2012 at 9:52 am

The new throw pillows make a huge difference! Love it…

Karen @ The Quaint Cottage
    July 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

Looks great. Sorry for the rug not coming home with you. It would have looked wonderful in there.

Bonnie
    July 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

We plan to buy the Durham coffee table from Ballard designs. It’s much more cost effective, and we like the clean lines. We also wanted to build one, but we weren’t sure how the aged wood would hold up.

July 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Oh, yes! That one is on the top of my list!

Jalene
    July 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

THE rug is on Joss and Main today!

July 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I JUST saw that!!!!! The same size was at Home Goods for $399, it’s on Joss & Main for $779. Even though I love, love, LOVE the rug (more than a plant loves sunshine), I can’t in good conscience spend that much more money for it when I know it might be somewhere else for less. Big bummer!

Caitlin @ Desert Domicile
    July 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I love what you’ve done with the living room so far and I’m looking forward to seeing your changes! As crazy as this may be, I actually have the rug you wanted in my master bedroom! I bought it at my local HomeGoods back in April: http://desertdomicile.blogspot.com/2012/04/safavieh-score.html

July 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Ahh! I wish I would have gone back sooner like you did!

Naomi
    July 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Lovin’ the pillows 🙂

♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

Kate
    July 19, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hi Ashley,

I’m a local reader and wanted to recommend a guy in Hanover that creates custom reclaimed wood furniture. I recently had him make a coffee table for our family room and a dining table! Our tables were made out of reclaimed wood from a building in Downtown Richmond – I love being able to add quality, LOCAL sourced pieces into our home! Plus, he had great prices!

Check him out on Facebook – JDS Antique Reproductions. And, shoot me an e-mail if you want to see how our furniture came out!

July 19, 2012 at 10:39 am

Sounds great! Thanks so much for the resource! We’d love to see your furniture : )

Brandi
    July 19, 2012 at 9:50 am

Love the simplicity! Also, I love that “rare prints” poster…mind telling me where you got it? 🙂

July 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

We bought it from Pottery Barn almost three years ago and unfortunately, they don’t carry it anymore. It’s such a shame because it’s so awesome and we get this question a lot! : )

Amy
    July 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

Hey Ashley! I found your blog from Jen @ IHeart Organizing. Love your style! The new white accessory reminds me of my grandparents, Werther’s Original & all!

Abbey
    July 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Hi! I’m new to this blog so I don’t know if you have already told us, but what paint did you use on the walls. I’m looking for a gray & I like that one! Beautiful room by the way!

Thanks!

July 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thanks! It’s Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone.

Ann
    January 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm

PLEASE don’t go with the sofa and loveseat. Do a sofa and 2 chairs. Just get narrow chairs. Most designers hate those ‘sets’. Love the room, maybe some colorful bowls on the shelves. Make your own art work, or ETSY? Have fun