Before we get to our favorite things, I wanted to show you guys what I was up to yesterday… and why my fingers are currently a light shade of teal. Yesterday was Greg’s birthday, and he hates making a big fuss over it (unlike me!), so we just went out to dinner with his family and came back to the house to eat cake and play cards. If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, you’re probably well aware that Greg is a big fan of Phineas & Ferb. So, since it was his birthday and I was feeling a little icing-happy, I had to do it…
Perry the Platypus cupcakes! Needless to say, I’m no cupcake artist (the one in the back middle looks like a Cookie Monster gone wrong), but these little guys were a lot of fun to experiment with. I mixed some teal icing color into some store-bought white icing, then used a Nutter Butter cookie for the tail, a Nilla Wafer for the beak, upside down white chocolate chips for the eyes and black gel icing for the details. Greg got a big kick out of them, and according to him, I’m totally up for Wife of the Year. Now that my teal-stained fingers have been explained… without further ado, our favorite things:
1. Jericho – I’m a big fan of post-apocalyptic settings in movies and shows. The setting allows the writers to really bring out the best and worst in people, and that flexibility usually plays out in very interesting ways. On top of that, it also makes you think about what you would do if something like this actually happened… makes me want to get my hands on an EMP-resistant laptop and an old muscle car. Be forewarned, though, the show was cancelled after a short second season. You’ll have to read the comic books (which are still being produced) to continue getting your dose of Jericho.
2. Evolution Man Lip Balm – Chapped lips aren’t “manly”, they’re just painful and gross. This lip balm from Evolution Man has no gloss, no scent, no color, and formulated without a lot of the chemicals you’d see in typical lip balms. So even if you’re not the type of guy who would use the other products that Evolution Man sells (though you should – their stuff is great), there’s no reason to walk around with chapped lips. I promise, I don’t work for them.
3. Odin Duffle Bag for The Shops at Target – Ash and I have a lot of trips coming up over the next several months, and I’ve been on the lookout for a good carry-on. I like this one because it’s stylish enough to make Ash happy and roomy enough to keep my essentials. It’s coming to Target September 9th as a part of the new Shops at Target collection. The Odin line of products also has a bunch of cool clothes for guys that I’m looking forward to checking out.
4. Great Mustaches Mug – This mug is a great way to put some character with your coffee. It showcases some of the most epic mustaches ever known to man, and I love it. You can look at all the mustaches on the mug, then try to match them with the people they go with. Groucho Marx and William Shakespeare are two notables on the cup. The answers are on the bottom, if you get stumped. The super-fun part? One “mustache” is actually a set of eyebrows. Don’t be fooled… know your ‘staches!
5. The Art of Vintage DC Comics – As mentioned before, I really loved comic books as a kid, so it’s not wonder that these post cards caught my eye. Each one is a print of a classic piece of DC Comics art, perfect for sending to a friend or even hanging on a wall.
1. Essie’s Good As Gold – Yet again, another favorite nail polish to add to the list! This color currently out-shines my all-time fave, basic black – and if you know me, you know that’s saying a lot. I find myself putting on coat after coat just because I like the look of it. I also love how it dries really fast – which is good for impatient people like me.
2. Monogrammed Mug – These have been on my list of things to buy for some time and I finally got around to buying a few “B”s for the kitchen. I love them so much that I now want to get an “A” for my office to keep pens in. It ties together three of my favorite things: white ceramics, modern vintage shapes and fonts.
3. Patch Throw from Shops At Target – Guess what… fall is coming! And ’tis the season for chunky sweater-like throws. These three colors go so well together that it’s hard to pick a favorite. They’ll be available in Target stores September 9th as a part of the newest Shops at Target collection. Can’t wait to see them in person!
4. Standing Pug – Since the addition of my new office friend, Milo, I seem to have developed a thing for dog statues. One that caught my eye lately is this little metallic silver guy. I think he’d look great paired with a stack of books and a small flower arrangement like pink Peonies.
5. Washi Tape – Okay, so, I love this stuff! For the past few weeks, I’ve seriously been using it for everything… leaving notes on the fridge, decorating notepads, labeling my phone charger and sprucing up votive candle holders. I think I may be addicted.
That about wraps up this edition of His + Her Favorite Things! Do you have any favorite things this month? Share them with us in the comments! Oh, and if you noticed, we’re changing up our monthly favorite things line up by sharing them on the last Friday of every month, rather than the first “post day” of the month. We also decided to play around with the layout at bit. What do you think?
As usual, we don’t work for any of these companies or were paid or perked to mention any products/brands. We just have fun sharing our favorite things and use this as a fun way for you all to get to know us. After all, you can tell a lot from a person by what’s in their shopping bag or wish list! ; )