Didn’t we just do a Favorite Things post last week?! This month flew by! Even so, it’s once again time for His + Her Favorite Things, where on the first of the month we corral some of our recent random favorites.
1. Nexus 7 – Don’t worry! We haven’t ditched the iPad as one of our favorite tablet devices just quite yet. It’s still an awesome piece of hardware. However, the new Nexus 7 tablet from Google is almost definitely one of the hottest Android tablets on the market, and it’s crazy cheap to boot. With a 7-inch screen, the newest Android software and great performance, you can’t really go wrong at a street price of around $250. (Just don’t expect 3G/4G service–there’s no version of this tablet with that feature, unfortunately.) I haven’t grabbed one up yet, but it’s definitely on my short list of techy fun stuff I’d love to have!
2. Battlestar Galactica – If you’ve been reading 7th House for a while, you know by now that I’m a huge geek. So, it might come as a surprise to some that I’d never watched Battlestar Gallactica until a few weeks ago. I’m already into the third season, and it’s a really good series so far. That’s not the best part, though. The best part is this could just as easily go on Ashley’s list. After catching a few episodes with me, she realized that she can’t get enough (go figure!). We try to catch an episode together every now and then and we’re having a lot of fun discussing plots and guessing who the next Cylon is going to be. I’m glad Ash gave it a chance, rather than just writing it off as just another crazy sci-fi show. That’s why my wife is awesome!
3. RustOleum Comfort Grip – If you’ve ever done a large amount of spray painting, you know that your fingers can get pretty tired from holding down the little nozzle on the top of the can. Personally, when that happens, I typically switch to a grip where my thumb actually depresses the nozzle (yes, it definitely looks weird), but that doesn’t last long either. Enter the RustOleum Comfort Grip. It attaches to a regular can of spray paint and makes the whole process much more ergonomic. This next weekend, we’re going to be doing a rather large spray painting project outside (which we talked about in Monday’s post), and I’m planning on grabbing one or two of these when I go to pick up the paint.
4. Porter Cable Cordless Reciprocating Saw – While sledge hammers and such look great on TV when demolition starts, they make a huge mess. Personally, I prefer a more surgical approach to the “demo” phase of any project, and that is where this jewel of a tool comes in. Got a wall to take down? Maybe a branch in your yard that’s too big to break, but too small to justify getting out the chain saw? Slap a battery in this guy and go to town. You can also do more finished, precision jigsaw-like work with this in a pinch with the right blade, which makes it a great multi-tasking tool. I don’t necessarily use my reciprocating saw on a daily basis, but it’s one of those tools that you’ll never regret having around.
5. Reddit – Alright, so most people probably already know about Reddit, or have at least heard of it, but I’ve recently become a huge fan. It’s a geek’s paradise, with some of the most popular subreddits being geek- or gamer-oriented. Fair warning, though, Reddit is the best and worst of the Internet, all mixed into one big website. It can be a very harsh, uninviting, and unsavory place if you don’t know where to go. (Don’t say I didn’t warn you.) The key, in my opinion, is to stick to some of the default subscriptions that you’re given when you first create your account, then you can go about finding the subreddits that really interest you. For example, the /r/InteriorDesign subreddit may interest some of you!
1. Essie’s Matte About You – I’m a big fan of matte nail polishes, but sometimes it’s hard to find them in the colors I really like. This top coat nail polish turns any high gloss nail color to matte. It’s only about $8 at Walgreen’s and that’s not bad seeing as how you get pretty much unlimited shades of matte nail polish.
2. Bubba – Meet Bubba. My new, big, purple BFF. I’ve been trying to drink a lot more water lately and this not-so-little guy holds 1.5 liters. After I fill him up twice, I’ve had almost 1 gallon of water! I cary him around the house all day long – to the point where he’s starting to feel like a part of the family. He’s kind of like our household Perry… “Where’s Bubba?”.
3. HGTV Magazine – If you like watching HGTV, then you’ll love HGTV Magazine. Every issue is full of money-saving tips, fun DIY projects and interesting decorating/renovating articles. One of my favorite feature articles is when they tour the HGTV host’s homes. So fun!
4. Girly Obsessions – Two girls. Two Computers. Zero impulse control. This blog is easily my newest blog crush! Girly Obsessions is all about, well, all things girly. Fashion, beauty, baking, entertainment… it’s all there. Once in a while, I get asked what’s in my makeup bag. So when Ashley (50% of GO) asked me to write a guest blog about anything “girly”, I thought that would a fun question to finally get around to answering – and the perfect place to do it! You can check out the post here! The graphic was so much fun to put together!
5. Sharpie Pens – I have many times declared my love for Sharpies (here, here, and here to name a few times). But sometimes when I write in certain notebooks, the ink bleeds to other pages. Not cool. Luckily, Sharpie has come out with Sharpie Pens. Simply put, I LOVE these things! The ink doesn’t bleed, but you still get the look and feel of an ultra fine tip Sharpie – making them perfect for list makers and fellow Sharpie lovers.
6. Aromatherapy Soy Candle – I’m what you would call a candle snob. I’m a Yankee Candle girl at heart (Clean Cotton and Sage & Citrus being my favorite) and rarely ever find a candle that lives up to par. Out of a sheer moment of impulsiveness, I bought one of these candles from Target a few weeks ago. Surprisingly, I fell madly and deeply in love with it. The candle has a nice clean, flowery smell that’s not at all overpowering but still really yummy. I couldn’t find it available online, but hopefully if you can track it down at your local Target. Update: I went to Target today, and these candles were on clearance for $6. $6! So… I picked up four. I know, that’s 300 hours of burning time. But when something is marked down that low, it more than likely, it’s on the way out. Such a shame! They smell so good!
That about wraps up this month’s favorites! Do you have any current favorites to share? Tell us!
As usual, we weren’t paid or perk’ed to mention any of these products. We just have fun sharing our favorite things!