Mood Boards

MOOD BOARD: MODERN + OLD SCHOOL

When I first started designing this mood board for the blog, I didn’t have a specific room in mind, only that it would be a home office of some sort. Then, when I showed this board to Greg, he did a back flip followed by a cart wheel. No. Not really. But he might as well have. I was super shocked when he said, “Yeah, I really like that. Actually, I think I’d like something like that for my office.” Really?! I was beyond shocked because Greg rarely voices his opinion when it comes to things interior design, and until that moment I always thought he wanted his office to be a pure modern, geeky, tech domain. Apparently he changed his mind. He said he’s not too crazy about the rug, but that being one of my favorite pieces in the room, I’m going to try to convince him it will grow on him! ; )

Regardless of what we end up with in Greg’s office, this mood board tries to capture a warm, modern with a touch of “old school industrial” feel…

1.Β Finishes – With this room, I have a lot of mixed thoughts when it comes to wall color. The safe bet would be Farrow & Ball’s Cornforth White with white trim. For a super modern look, white walls and white trim would do the trick. For an even more modern look, white walls and dark trim. Sounds a little odd, yeah, but I’ve seen this done in a bunch of decor magazines lately and has a really cool effect in just the right space. To give the room even more warmth, it’d be nice to add natural elements where possible – like a small potted plant (which would also add some more color) and reclaimed wood shelving.
2. Wesco Cord Hung Pendant Light For the first touch of old school, we have this great red barn pendant light. It’s industrial and brings in some fun personality and a pop of color. Barn Light Electric even gives you the option to add a wire cage on it… yes please!
3. Large Deer Trophy I’ve had a crush on this cardboard deer for what seems like forever. It’s fun with an obvious hint of rustic, plus you get the joy of putting this bad boy together!
4. Alston Curtain Panel I’ve always been drawn to horizontal lines – especially when it comes to curtains. They are a great way to make tiny rooms appear larger – like Greg’s office! These (along with #10) bring in a graphic element that gives the room that modern feel.
5. Work SpaceΒ – Every home office needs a desk and a comfy chair. To keep things simple, I really love the clean lines of this Parsons Desk. The medium wood tones bring some warmth and contrast nicely against the white desk chair. To add a bit of a natural element, I’d add one or two faux potted plants from Ikea (I love these things!).
6. Retro Dial Clock –Β This wall clock is the perfect fit for this room because it’s a tad old school and the red hands subtly tie in with the pendant light. The modern numbers also make it a bit masculine.
7. Strandmon Chair I. Love. This. Chair. It made its debut in the new Ikea catalog, but it won’t be available in stores until this winter. I’m anxiously awaiting that day because if it doesn’t go in Greg’s office (which it probably will), it’s going in the living room. It’s modern with a Dick Van Dyke feel to it. It’s awesome!
8. Lighting Enterprises Floor Lamp Yet another touch of old school. I think it’s a perfect pair with the Strandmon chair above!
9. Kvarnvik Storage Boxes These storage boxes will be great for storing unsightly extra wires, parts and pieces. I love how they are covered with dark charcoal blue fabric and finished off with metal bracket labels – yet another one of my new Ikea favorites!
10. Abdalusia Dhurrie Oh, this rug! This rug had me at hello. I first remember noticing it when Genevieve GorderΒ used it on her HGTV show. Ever since, I’ve been dying to find a way to use it somewhere in the house.

So, what do you think? Have any favorite pieces?

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    August 17, 2012 at 11:07 am

Love the curtains! I want to DIY something like that for our bedroom.

Mallory
    August 17, 2012 at 11:14 am

AWESOME mood board! So different and unexpected. Great job as usual!

PAULA K
    August 17, 2012 at 11:15 am

I love this for a home office, but you can easily switch out the desk for a crib and make it a cool boys nursery or a guest room. Especially love the rug and Ikea chair!

Amy
    August 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

I’ve had a thing for Parson’s Desks lately too!! I have a crush on that pendant light…for some reason barn-type lighting really appeals to me, especially when mixed with decor like you have in this room! This would look great!! πŸ™‚

Joellyn
    August 17, 2012 at 11:50 am

How about the Ikea Alvine rug as a stand-in? Brings in the yellow with a less feminine pattern.

I love this mood board too!

August 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

Good alternative! Thanks for the link : )

Lesley
    August 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I have to say I love the deer head but mainly because we own the white Rhino from Cardboard Safari and it’s hanging in my son’s room. It is such a statement piece, all the kids in the “hood” love it. I absolutely love both of your choices in chairs. Awesome mood board. Lesley

Caitlin @ Desert Domicile
    August 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

THAT’S an IKEA chair?! Woah. IKEA’s stepping their game up! Do you remember the price? I thought I was signed up to receive the catalog but apparently not haha

August 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm

That’s what I thought! From what I’ve read, they haven’t listed the price yet… I could be wrong though!

Nichole
    August 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm

What, that’s an IKEA chair?!
    I feel so productive on the internet today, now that I know about this chair! πŸ˜‰
    Goodness, I really love that rug too. I’ve been eying it for a while. Maybe it’s time for me to take the plunge too. We’ll see.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Amanda
    August 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Love this mood board so much! And, I’ve been obsessed with that rug for a looong time, so you definitely need to talk him into it! πŸ™‚

Rebecca @ the lil house that could
    August 21, 2012 at 9:42 am

Ashley, we have what looks like the same exact white chairs from Staples! They’re not sold online, but we paid only $99 in store. They go on sale every now and then and we love them, definitely our favorite office purchase πŸ™‚

Here they are… I don’t see a difference?

August 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

Great to know! Thanks for the head’s up : )

Jen
    September 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I have to add that THIS mood board is our house’s style: geek chic, plus feminine and masculine fighting for survival but coordinating too. We LOVE it and it’s my favorite to stash old + new + shiny and textures.