Greg's Office Painting

GOING TO THE DARK SIDE

Seal by Martha Stewart  |  7th House on the Left

As we mentioned in this post, Ash and I spent the weekend going over to the dark side… in my office.

Before I get to the before and after photos, I have a bone to pick with Martha Stewart for naming this paint color “Seal”. While we were painting, Ash was trying to come up with as many Seal songs as she could think of. That doesn’t sound that annoying to you? Well,Β the only song she could think of was “Kiss From A Rose” from Batman Forever. You see, Ashley tends break out in song at random moments and will keep singing that same song over… and over. Though, I should mention this wasn’t as bad as her High School Musical phase. Then she moved onto “I Believe I Can Fly” (complete with “humm”s, key changes and sound effects) because she was positive that was by Seal too. R Kelly, Ash. R Kelly.

Anyway, back to the painting. Here’s what the room looked like before, with Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone…

And here’s what the room looks like now with Martha Stewart’s Seal…

BIG difference, right?! Oh, and FYI, the splotchiness on the walls isn’t the paint. It’s actually the reflection of cars driving by.

The “Bam, in your face” wall color really contrasts with the white trim and brings out all the different tones in the hardwood floors. Simply put, we love it.Β Not only does the room look completely different, but it feels different too.

At night, you’d think the room would be overly dark and gloomy, but even with just the floor lamp on, it actually feels really cozy (I know, that didn’t sound very manly).Β With only the desk and the abacus wall art in the room, I’m sure things look a tad on the dark side in photos. All of that’s going to change during the next phase. Once we get the white shelving on the walls, some light-colored curtains and colorful accessories in place, things will brighten up and the contrast is going to be killer.

You may have noticed a few furniture differences as well. We gave the floor lamp to Ash’s parents (it looks really cool in their master bedroom) and brought in a floor lamp we bought from Lowe’s over a year ago. We Craigslisted the tall skinny shelf that was once in the corner for $45 – which, consequently paid for the paint. We really liked the shelf but since we’re planning on adding more shelves over the desk, the room would look a little too “shelf happy” as Ash put it. We also moved the desk so it’s facing the corner. This will give us more floor space and an anchor for the shelving we’re going to hang over the desk – which I don’t think we’ve mentioned yet, come to think of it. Well, our plan is to hang three shelves over the desk like this…

Remember, Ashley is the artistic one. Actually it’s six shelves, but we’re going to hang them so they look like three big corner shelves, similar to this inspiration photo we shared last week:

This will create a great focal point for the room and offer up a lot of storage in the process. We’re going to fill the shelves with books, storage boxes and fun modern knickknacks. Ash may or may not have bought me my very own Tardis (not sure if it actually comes with wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff yet). I wasn’t supposed to know, but she couldn’t hold it in any longer and spilled the beans about five minutes after she hit the “Place Order” button. Needless to say, I’m really looking forward to this addition.

Since I had to deal with it, I leave you with this…

Sorry! I had to do it! ; )

Erin {Home Everyday}
    September 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

This post is hysterical! I too breakout in song and went through a High School Musical phase. Right now I keep singing the good bye song from my two year old daughter’s music class and driving everyone crazy, including the two year old. I digress. The room looks great. It is so modern and moody. I cannot wait to see the shelves!!!!

Jen
    September 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

Good job on the painting! It looks much better and not “safely” neutral as before. I love the contrast of it against the bright white trim, excellent choice once again.

Jennifer
    September 19, 2012 at 10:36 am

This is absolutely gorgeous! I was leaning toward the other color, but I LOVE THIS COLOR!!! YOu both have sucha great sense of style! Love the blog!

Heidi
    September 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

I’ve been toying with the idea of painting my office gray as well, but I was hesitant it would look too dark. I love how yours turned out! Looks like I need to go buy some paint.

kristen
    September 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

I believe Ashley and I are kindred spirits. The husband was trying to watch Big Bang last night and I kept singing It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday. Circa 1991.

BAZINGA.

and i’ll taaaaaake with me the memoriiiiieeeessss….

September 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

….to be my sunshiiiiiine after the raaaaaaaain ; )

Lori H
    September 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Wow! So crisp! Love it πŸ™‚

janet @ ordinary mom
    September 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm

LOL! at the R Kelly comment. I don’t remember who sings what or even the right words at some time but I keep on singing. KEEP on singing, Ashley!

πŸ™‚

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    September 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Looks great Greg and Ashley! I love the color! Makes everything pop!

Melonee
    September 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I love the color as well! The contrast with the white trim and the beautiful floor is amazing. Not a color I would have picked, but I love it! So much more impact than the previous color.

Dwana
    September 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Love it!! That color was my choice too.

Nem
    September 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I love the darker color. In fact I love it so much I think I’ll be using that for my office as well. Thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚

Jen
    September 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm

The darker color makes such a WOW statement and an incredible difference! I am so excited you selected the darker color, it is incredible!

xo,
    Jen

bethany
    September 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm

WOW! At first I was thinking, the first color gray is perfect! don’t change it! Then I saw the after picture with the new color and I want to paint a room in my house with that color!
    Great change! I love it.

Jeanette @ This Dusty House
    September 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oh, I love it. The first thing I noticed was how much more the beads on the abaci stand out. Absolutely gorgeous.

Toria S
    September 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

You may be a computer geek, but you also have a great sense of humor, Greg. You and Ashley make a great team! Love you guys and your blog.

Megan (Honey We're Home)
    September 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

The room looks so good! I’m thinking of doing something similar with my office. That bookshelf is gonna be amazing!

Julia [Chris Loves Julia]
    September 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Welcome to the dark side–where we have more fun. Haha! Seriously I can’t wait to see this room evolve and come together. We recently painted our living room almost-black (Kwal’s Crave) and while we are still putting things together and accessorizing, the darkness is so cozy and inviting.

We love it!

September 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Oooh, I love it! It looks great – especially with all of that sunlight from the big window. Thanks for sharing! : )

Georgina
    September 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Really like the new colour. What a difference. Thank you for th reminder of where your inspiration came from. I think I will do that for my bedroom. Kind of like a mood board to keep you on track to your vision

Alexa @ travelmiamor
    September 21, 2012 at 8:07 am

omg! So cute! Can you come design my new home πŸ˜› PLEASE!!!

T. Z. Wallace
    September 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I just stumbled over here while researching an article on the “Top 10 Home Improvement Blogs.” I must have spent hours digging around your lovely site. I thought the images were amazing, but then I came across this blog…which references the Doctor, and the TARDIS, and wibbly wobbly timey wimey…stuff. So, yeah…excuse me while I find all the various and sundry ways to ensure I don’t miss out on any of your posts. Too good to miss!

September 21, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Aww, thank you! Glad you found us : )

Titus Contracting
    October 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm

The shelves look great!

Emily
    November 16, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Hi! Looks awesome πŸ™‚ I was just wondering what finish you got this in? Is it flat or eggshell? I love it!

November 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Thanks! It’s flat finish.

Tina Flora
    October 24, 2016 at 10:54 am

Hello! Did you make the wall art in the office with the moveable balls on it? if so, how did you do that?
    I love it!

May 9, 2017 at 12:44 pm

No, we didn’t! We purchased them from CB2 a while back.