His + Her Favorite Things

HIS + HER FAVORITE THINGS

Time for another monthly installment of His + Her Favorite Things. This month, along with our favorite things, you’ll learn what I keep in my cookie jar Tardis, what vegetable changed Ashley’s skin color when she was 3 and what famous house she stopped by while in Connecticut. Oh, come on, you know you’re dying to find out ; ). Without further ado, our favorite things…

1. Roku 2 XD – While I’m definitely a big fan of my TiVo in the living room, I’ve recently been looking for a small set-top box for streaming movies and shows to the TV in the master bedroom. In there, we don’t really need a DVR, and something the size of a typical DVR/Blu-Ray player just isn’t a good fit. After a bit of research, I believe I’ve decided on the Roku 2 XD for the “it just works” factor. It does Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Amazon Video, and a lot more. It’s also been reviewed to be “rock solid” in the stability department and has a simple user interface.

2. Old Navy Light-Weight Hoodies – It’s officially fall, my favorite time of the year. That means I get to start wearing my favorite light-weight hoodies. Ashley got me one of these for our trip to Disney last December, and it’s been one of my favorites ever since. And they have them in tall, for guys like me, so that’s a plus.

3. Tardis Cookie Jar – Ash picked up this Tardis for me a few weeks ago when we committed to doing the corner shelves in my office. Needless to say, as a Doctor Who fan, I was ecstatic. It’s technically a cookie jar, but I’m storing random things like extra earbuds and flash drives. It makes the signature Tardis sound when you close the lid or press the light on the top. We’re doing a lot in my office right now, but this is definitely one of my favorite recent additions.

4. Ikea Hackers – When we posted about my new shelves the other day, someone suggested that we submit the idea to Ikea Hackers. Having never been to the site before, I decided to jump over and take a look. I was pretty much mesmerized. They have tons of great ideas on how to make your Ikea purchases go the extra mile in style and utility. Check out this totally awesome frosted glass desk hack!

1. White Pumpkins – I love the look of white pumpkins. There’s something so “Martha Stewart” about them. At our local farmer’s market, they call them “Ghost Pumpkins” but I like to think of them as “Martha Pumpkins”. I especially like the mini Martha Pumpkins that are for about 50¢ each. I plan on getting a bunch of them to put in a pretty bowl for the sofa table.

2. Say Yes to Carrots Color Balm – Fact: When I was little, I ate carrots so often that I turned orange. Which might be why I like this lip product so much. I’m normally a no-color or super-low-color lip product kind of person. When I originally bought this, I thought this fell in the low-color category but it actually has a bit more color than I’m used to. But I like it! It’s super smooth and lasts for a good amount of time. But the main reason I like it is because of the fact that its made from carrots ; )

3. Spice Tin Candle In my book, nothing says “fall” like changing leaves, dropping temperatures and campfires. I love this candle because it reminds me of my birthday bonfires every year growing up. It smells like a campfire. Literally, it’s a campfire in a jar. My birthday is coming up next week, on Sunday, and even though we aren’t having a bonfire, this candle will make the house smell birthday-approved.

4. Claire Robinson + 5 Ingredient Fix – I’m normally not a fan of cooking shows because either they intimidate me to no end or because I’m always finding myself looking at the set details rather than what they’re cooking. But, I have found a friend in Claire Robinson of 5 Ingredient Fix. Not only do I think we’d be BFFs, but all of her recipes include no more than 5 ingredients and they’re so do-able for my simple-non-chef-like self. I also love her props, utensils and the kitchen itself (not sure if its a set or an actual kitchen). The overall show is vintage meets Anthropologie feel to it that I love. I also have her cookbook which has quickly turned into one of my all-time favorites. All in all, she’s my latest girl-crush.

5. Apolis Market Bag – I love having bags on hand for the farmers market and random errand running. I’ve been looking for a new one to keep in the utility room and I stumbled on this beauty. I love the simple design but mainly, I love this bag because it says “Westport, Connecticut” on the front. It reminds me of when I was 14 and we were driving from Richmond to Cape Cod, Mass to catch the boat to Nantucket. On our way there, we stopped in Westport, Connecticut just to see Martha Stewart’s house. Yes, I was a Martha fan even when I was 14! It was my mom’s doing. My mom and aunt jumped out of the car, ran up to her gate (which was very close to the front door), took the fastest photo ever, and jumped back in. We all still laugh about it to this day. Memories.

That wraps up this edition of His + Hers. Do you have any new favorites to share? How about any fun plans this weekend? We have some family coming in to stay with us tonight, then some more family coming in Saturday for a “Family Reunion Planning Session”. Saturday night, while Greg is working on a project for his 9 to 5, my cousin, Dana, and I are having a girls night in full of Pinterest-dessert-making and movie watching. Sunday afternoon, I’m wrapping up the weekend by shooting a senior portrait session – bringing Greg and Bentley along for the ride. Busy, busy!

As usual, we don’t work for any of these companies or were paid or gifted anything to mention any products/brands. We just have fun sharing our favorite things and use this as a fun way for you all to get to know us.

Erin {Home Everyday}
    September 28, 2012 at 9:47 am

I too was obsessed with Martha (I call her by her first name too like we are old gal pals) at a young age too. I remember coming home from school and watching her first show while eating my afternoon snack. Most kids my age were watching cartoons. Not me, I was learning how to fold napkins, make pie crust, and scrapbook. That bag is awesome and now I want one too 🙂

Megan
    September 28, 2012 at 9:52 am

Need Supply in Carytown has a Richmond, VA Apolis Market Bag!

September 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

So cool! Thanks for the heads up : )

kristen
      September 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

i totally bought this bag in carytown yesterday. the price is outrageous, but i neeeeeeded it!

John @ Our Home from Scratch
    September 28, 2012 at 9:55 am

I may have to check out that Roku. We’re getting a TV for our master bedroom and I don’t want or need a ton of electronics with it. Something simple is ideal.

Lori H
    September 28, 2012 at 10:41 am

Our weekends are usually pretty low key. This weekend, however, I am getting to check an item off my Bucket List! My sister and her husband are joining my husband and I for an Outstanding in the Field event. They are held at farms all over the country (world?) – first a farm tour, then dinner at a super long table in a field. The dinner is cooked by local chefs using local farm produce and meat. Each course is paired with a wine. CAN’T WAIT! It’s my birthday present from my sister. Have a great weekend! Love the favorites, as usual.

September 28, 2012 at 10:45 am

Wow, that sounds like SO much fun! Something to add to my Bucket List now : )

Brandi @ His Shabby Her Chic
    September 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

I have a Roku player (it’s not that exact one, I have the LT since we don’t have any 1080 tvs) and I LOVE it! The picture quality is excellent and the “channel” format is easy to navigate. I would highly recommend.

April
    September 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I fell in love with white pumpkins when I saw this cover of BHG: http://pinterest.com/pin/108227197264997238/ I’m hoping to incoporate to my wedding this October. Now… I just have to find them… So much to do and only 21 days to go (but who is counting…?)! AH!

September 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Oh my goodness! 21 days will fly by : )
      If you have trouble finding them, you can always paint orange ones.

April
      October 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

I never thought of painting them! Thanks for the idea!

Amy
    September 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

April, if there’s a Safeway grocery store around you, they might have them there!! I got mine from there last year!

April
      October 3, 2012 at 9:11 am

Thanks so much for the tip! I’ll check it out 🙂

Ofelia, from México City
    September 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Hi, I visit your blog every day, but just sometimes make a comment, but today I wanna say that I like white pumpkins too. Last year, when I didn´t find any of those I just simply painted oranges ones. This His/hers favorites things is one of my faves sections.

Kate
    September 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm

We received the TARDIS cookie jar as an engagement gift and it is still one of my favorite things in my kitchen. My DH has tried to perfect the opening of the lid sans sound to no avail, haha.

Megan
    September 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Ha. I ate so many carrots when I was little I turned orange too.

tracy
    October 2, 2012 at 8:39 am

Love Ikea Hackers! Been stalking that blog for years, glad to see other fans!

Have you looked in the Boxee? We were in the market a few years ago and the thing I liked best about the Boxee over the Roku was that it played more file formats. Anything plays on our Boxee and we can plug in our external drive to the USB and expand our space.

Greg
      October 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I’ve seen the Boxee Box, but the only experience I’ve ever had with Boxee was back when it was in beta for Windows. My main interest in the Roku box was the multitude of streaming services it will work with, so file formats weren’t a huge consideration on my part. I’ve seen several reviews that say the Boxee is #1 when it comes to streaming your own media, though, so if that’s your flavor, it’s a totally viable alternative.