Tips + Tricks

7 Ways to Use Washi Tape at Home  |  7th House on the Left

As I mentioned in this His + Her post back in August, I’m kind of addicted to washi tape (also known around the blog world as paper tape). I keep a small bowl of my favorite designs (mostly stripes!) on my desk, and I reach over to use a piece or two a few times a day on average. It’s like an everyday necessity around here – like pens or Post-Its The main thing I love about washi tape is that it’s easily removable on pretty much any surface (even paper!) and doesn’t leave surface residue when you remove it. And… it’s pretty! ; )

A few days ago, I posted a photo on Instagram of my washi tape adorned keyboard (If you’re on Instagram, you can find me at 7thHouseBlog). After just a few minutes, there were 25 “likes”. That being the case, I thought it would be fun to do a quick post on 7 ways I’ve been using my beloved washi tape around the house. You know how we like the number 7 around here. Here we go…

1. iPhone Charger Label – With all of the iPhones in our family, it’s easy to get all of our chargers mixed up. When my little brother is in town, my iPhone charger seems to mysteriously go missing. To tell mine apart from the others, I just put a small piece of washi tape on the block. This will come in especially handy when the holidays roll around. It’s a simple, pretty way to say “mine” and prevent Abram from trying to swipe it. ; ) Psst… The Target brand paper tape is the perfect width for iPhone charger blocks.

2. Easy Gift Wrap – To me, wrapping a gift for someone is just as much fun as picking it out. Is that weird? A few weeks ago, I was wrapping a gift for a friend of ours and realized I didn’t have any bows. Plus, I was mailing it, so even if I had a bow, I wouldn’t want the bow to get smashed during shipping. So, my handy dandy washi tape came into play. It’s fun to create different designs and combine fun patterns.

3. Spruce Up Your Work Space – As I mentioned earlier, I randomly posted this one on Instagram a few days ago. It’s so simple, but it makes typing a little more fun — and pretty. The tape sticks on really well (I’ve had it on my keyboard for over a month!) and it gives the keyboard a quirky custom look. The MT brand washi tape is the perfect width for apple keyboard keys. The smaller keys (like the numbers and function buttons) may need a little trimming, but that can easily be done with a small sharp craft knife.

4. Make an Instant (& Removable) Memo Board – Before the end of the day, my desk is usually full of notes to myself, reminders, clippings, mail that needs to go out and so on. Now, instead of cluttering up my desk, I just use a piece of tape and stick it on the wall next to my desk. It gets the mess off my desk and up on the wall, where I’ll see it and be sure to de-clutter by the end of the week. I guess you could say it keeps my to-dos flowing.  Since I tend to use a lot of tape for this, I like to use Target’s paper tape because it’s less expensive than other brands. You can find it in the Up & Up section of the office supply isle. It’s only $4.99 for  5 rolls.

5. Brown & Barkley Packaging – After a few months of trial and error, I finally found the perfect way to ship our Brown & Barkley prints while keeping them in perfect condition. First, I put the print in a cellophane bag along with a piece of chipboard the same size as the print. Then, I use a few pieces of washi tape to attach the print (and the enclosure card) to a piece of cardboard, also the same size as the print. The washi tape tightly secures the print to the board without leaving any sticky residue on the cellophane. If the customer bought the print as a gift for someone, they can easily lift the tape, remove the enclosure card (which is a thank you card with their name on it) and put the tape back in place. Easy peasy! Can you tell by now that I use the striped tape the most?

6. Dress Up A Notepad –  I use notepads daily. You will literally find them all over our house. I’m a sucker for pretty notebooks, but I like using small notepads to make quick to-do lists or draw out an idea in my head. By adding a piece of washi tape, you can easily customize a notebook, then change out the tape whenever you want to (because it doesn’t leave any residue).

7. Calendar Notes – For important notes in my calendar, I use a piece of washi tape. If plans change, it’s easy to move from one date to another. It’s especially fun to use it for notes like vacations, since you can make it as long or short as you need to.

So, that’s 7 ways I use washi tape on a daily basis. If any of you out there on the other side of the screen have a washi tape obsession as well, be sure to share your favorite uses in the comments!

October 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

This is awesome and now I must own paper tape. I also really appreciate your info on packaging your prints. So so helpful!! I’ve recently opened my own etsy shop and have been having issues with the Post Office not having many envelope or packing options and damaging my prints. Can you tell me where you buy your shipping supplies??? Thank you!

October 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Glad it was helpful! Uline is my go-to for envelopes, chipboard and tubes. PaperMart is great for cardboard in specific sizes and Jerry’s Artarama is where I get the cellophane sleeves.

October 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love washi tape too! You did a great job showing it off. I especially liked the key covers.

Samantha Horseman
    October 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Ooohhh! Thanks for sharing! Im gonna have to get some now 🙂 Love it for gift wrapping and calendar/planner!

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    October 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm

i love Washi tape too! I have also doctored up my Keyboard, and a few Moleskine notebooks (although it doesn’t look as good against black!). Always looks for new uses for this stuff! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

October 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Besides Target where do you get your paper tape? Btw all of your uses are great.

October 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thanks so much! I get a majority of my tape from Etsy (just search “paper tape” and you’ll get a TON of options), our local craft store (AC Moore) and Paper-Source.

October 11, 2012 at 1:09 am

Michaels is finally carrying paper tape. Couldn’t find it last April. Now they have several.

October 11, 2012 at 8:37 am

Good to know!! : )

October 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Love your notebooks and planner! Would love to see a post just on those! I’m currently on the lookout for the perfect hybrid notebook/calendar and could use some suggestions. 🙂

October 10, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Thanks! I talked about my personal planner a while ago (in this post). I have separate notebooks for home maintenance, finances and the blog; but I have yet to blog about them. It’s been on my to-do list for like ever, haha!

October 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Great ideas! I live in Richmond and just found your blog, I’m looking forward to following you guys!

October 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Ah, I love this! I almost bought some washi tape at Target the other day but I wasn’t sure what I’d use it for…now I wish I would have gotten it!

October 10, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Love the ideas for using washi tape! Can’t wait to pick up some. I love how you used it in your planner. Where did you get that planner from? It looks like it could be Martha Stewart brand. Is that correct?

October 11, 2012 at 8:40 am

Yep, I put it together with the Martha Stewart line at Staples : )

October 11, 2012 at 12:10 am

Where do you find this tape at Target? I keep hearing about it, but I havent seen it!

October 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

It’s in the office supply section, with all of the Up&Up Target brand line : )

October 11, 2012 at 12:20 am

Hi Ashley,
    I saw your lovely post on washi tape, and then came across your house renovations.
    I was thrilled, as I’m just going through the same thing!
    Thanks for all your wonderful posts.

October 11, 2012 at 1:52 am

I love this tape! I want to get some 🙂

♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

October 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

Seriously, this just tipped me over the edge, I’ve been resisting washi tape but I’m off to Target after dropping the monkeys off at school. And I am a new follower, love your blog!

October 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

Ooh! I love all of these ideas! I really want to try the computer keyboard idea. Super cute and it would definitely liven up my black keyboard. Now I just have to get my hands on some cute tape!

October 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

I love washi tape, too! Quick question? Where did you get that adorable plate in the first picture? I’ve been looking for something like that for my kitchen!

October 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanks! I found it on clearance at Target. They had it in yellow last time I checked. Hope you find it!

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    October 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

So So So So SOOOOOO cute!!!!

October 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for the ideas.Love it!

October 12, 2012 at 12:02 am

It is on sale at Target this week!!

Julia [Chris Loves Julia]
    October 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

Such a fresh and original post. I was expecting a round-up from around the web, but I was so pleasantly surprised by these practical and fun ideas. Off to get me some tape. Air-five, you guys.

October 13, 2012 at 1:10 am

I love your use of the washi on your iphone charger. I am so gonna do that with my main squeeze “his and hers” We always get our chargers mixed up…lol!

I recently shared my uses of washi tape on my NEW blog. I just started it this month! I am obsessed with all things design. I actually lined my kitchen cabinets with the tape and it looks GORG!

Come check it out:

I would love to have the audience that you have. I hope you will like my blog. I admire you so much =)

October 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

Aw, thank you! Good luck on your new blog! : )

October 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Totally in love with washi tape ! So, needless to say how much I LOOOOOOVEE your post !!

October 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm

So up until I read your post about paper tape and I had no idea such a thing exists! And now I must get me some. Btw, this morning I saw this, maybe you will find a new way of using tape :)))

October 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Very cool! Thanks for the link : )

[email protected]
    October 19, 2012 at 9:00 am

Awesome! I’ve never heard of washi tape before reading this, but I definitely need to pick some up now! I wonder if they would have any at a place like CVS/Walgreens?

Your photography skills are amazing, BTW! The lighting and composition are just absolutely perfect. What kind of camera do you use? I just discovered your blog, have you posted in the past about how you take photos? If not you should =)

October 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

Thank you so much! On the blog, you’ll find a mixture of photos taken with our iPhones, a Sony Powershot, and a Canon 5D Mark II (which I use the most often these days).

October 23, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I feel that imitation is the highest form of flattery…. I hope you agree because I so ran with your obsession with paper tape. I now have a basket on my desk and I love it!!!!!

October 23, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Awesome! Welcome to the club ; )

April 12, 2013 at 8:32 am

Are you sure Washi tape or ‘Paper Tape’ doesn’t leave any glue/ sticky residue behind? Im in high school and i would like to use washi tape for my key board as a cute dress-up decoration. Unfortunately i will get charged like 100 bucks i DONT have if i damage the computer, needless to say, is this stuff safe for me?

April 12, 2013 at 8:51 am

I’ve had my washi/paper tape on my keyboard for a while (about 4 months) and there’s still no residue at all. I’d test your specific tape out on something else plastic to triple check : )

January 15, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Cute ideas! Never thought of the instant memo board thing… this is my favorite place to get washi –