Holiday

FALLING FOR PUMPKINS

Painting Pumpkins  |  7th House on the Left

Okay, that title is a little too corny. Even for me. Moving on… Even though we’re in the middle of decorating the outside of the house for Christmas (more on that here and here), that doesn’t mean we’re going to totally skip out on fall. After all, aside from Christmas, it’s my favorite season to decorate for and I have a mad love for pumpkins.

We headed to our local pumpkin patch the other day and picked up a bounty of our favorite orange gourds. At this point I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do with them, but I did know I was going to use them indoors and I wanted to paint a few of them. In light of that, when we got the pumpkins home, I put them in the sink to give them a good cleaning. Yet another advantage of having a large, single-basin sink. I washed them down with Dawn dish soap and water, then dried them off and let them sit on the counter for a while to make sure they were completely dry.

Once they were dry, it was time for some paint! I wanted to keep things super simple and classic, so I decided to paint a few of the pumpkins white. I got a tester of paint (Martha Stewart’s Popcorn in flat) for about $4. Yeah, I could have taped up the stems and just used spray paint. It would have been a lot easier and faster, but I actually wanted a “hand painted look” and a flat finish. Painting them by hand was actually very therapeutic, ha!

I’ve been holding on to a bottle of Martha Stewart’s Glitter Specialty Finish Paint for a few weeks looking for something to use it on, and these pumpkins were a great way test it out. Before I talk about how awesome this stuff is, I assure you this isn’t a sponsored post, and they didn’t gift it to us or ask us to use it. With that being said… This. Stuff. Is. Awesome. It has a great finish, and it’s super “glittery” looking – much more than I thought it would be. The main thing I love about it, though, is that you get the sparkly glitter look without getting glitter on everything you own.

For this baby pumpkin, I painted him white first, then did a super light “messy on purpose” coat of the glitter paint. After that coat was dry, I poured a bit of paint on the top of the pumpkin and just let it drip down the sides. An hour or two of good drying time later, I had cute little rustic glitter pumpkin. The pictures don’t really do the “sparkle factor” justice, but believe me, it’s sparkly. And I love it.

Once all of my pumpkins were spruced up with paint, I decided to use them around the living/dining room. First, the dining room buffet. I didn’t want to clutter up the entire buffet because we like to use the space for appetizers when we entertaining, or pizza when we’re having a game night (my favorite types of nights!). That being the case, I decided on doing just the left corner of the buffet. After a few minutes of arranging (and rearranging) the pumpkins along with some accessories we already had, here’s what I came up with…

I paired a large white pumpkin with a small “pie pumpkin” and a “rustic glitter pumpkin” and a few ceramic pieces we already had around the house. The two large canisters are from Pottery Barn back in 2008 (I found the receipt in the large one! haha) and the owl was a gift from my mom last year (from ZGallerie). Greg found the large branch on the roof when we was working on the gutters. I love it because it adds height without adding much weight. And it’s crazy perfect how it gradually leans over to the right – you’d think we made or bought it! I’m determined to find a way to preserve it. I also like the baby acorns on the ends of each limb…

Yay for free decor from our roof! As for the rest of our little pumpkin family, I took them over to the sofa table…

It’s one of the first things you see when you walk in the front door, so it’s nice to have a fall-like atmosphere when you walk in.

I found the tray at Target (on clearance for 14 bucks!). It’s probably one of my favorite things in the room now because the feather handles has a rustic touch but the overall design is modern and it’s functional. On the tray, we have another painted pumpkin, a large candle holder (which happens to be Greg’s favorite thing in the room) and a set of little “I’m Thankful For” cards.

I love these little “I’m Thankful for” cards from Paper Source. They come out with a few different designs each year and when they go on sale (normally near or right after Thanksgiving), I order a few packs for the next year. Greg and I’ve been doing these little cards almost every year since we’ve been married. A few weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, we each write what we’re thankful for on the card and seal it in the little matching envelopes (we end up doing about 5 or 6 each) and put it on the bottom of the pile. Then, on Thanksgiving morning, before the hustle and bustle of the day begins, we read them together. Yeah, so sappy, I know, haha! But that’s how we roll.

On the right side, I paired the large pumpkin with a little owl (which is actually a bank!) and another small “rustic glitter pumpkin”. I love this being the first thing you see when you walk in – especially since our foyer is currently completely bare.

All we need now are some hot, aromatic mugs of cranberry apple cider and we’re officially in Fall. Oh–and Bentley in his pumpkin outfit. Obviously.

Samantha Horseman
    October 19, 2012 at 10:29 am

OOOHHHH! I want that rustic glitter pumpkin πŸ™‚ and the tray from target is darling!!

Alexa @ travelmiamor
    October 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

so cute! lovely idea!

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    October 19, 2012 at 11:33 am

Cute, cute, cute!

courtney
    October 19, 2012 at 11:59 am

aww i love the “I’m thankful for” card idea!! that is SO cute…i might just have to steal it πŸ˜‰ i do something similar leading up to Christmas, but Thanksgiving makes MUCH more sense!
    xo,
    Courtney [http://itsprettycheap.blogspot.com/]

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    October 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I know what I’m doing when I get home!!!

Ursula
    October 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Cute pumpkins! I got 7th generation package today, thanks again…I’m still so happy I won!

Adrienne Lawrence
    October 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I love the owls! Where’d you find them?

October 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Thanks! They are from ZGallerie : )

Stephanie
    October 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Where did you get the little thankful cards? I love those.

October 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Thanks! They are from Paper-Source. They come out with a few different designs every year : )

Megan @ The Rappsody in Rooms
    October 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I might need to go pick up some of that glitter paint! Where did you get it! It’s amazing and so perfect for those pumpkins! I definitely want to do that but with some of the plastic pumpkins so they last forever. Haha, I know it’s not as authentic but they are too pretty for just one year!

October 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Yes! I was thinking that it would be awesome if these pumpkins would just last forever, haha. I’m thinking about painting some faux pumpkins next year to use inside. But don’t tell anyone ; ) You can find the paint at Home Depot in the paint section.

sue
    October 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I love the glitter on the pumpkins, we are decorating pumpkins for a work contest and I was going to do Cindarella’s Carriage. this will work wonders I hope I am able to find it at the local craft store. I also love the cards I have not seen them before I was planning on doing a project with the family this year by making paper leaf cut outs with one of my quilt patterns and each family member writing what they are thankful for and reading them aloud before the dinner pandamoneum begins. Cute owls!

Naomi
    October 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

The white one and the glitter one are so cute! What a great idea πŸ™‚

Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

Erin {Home Everyday}
    October 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Every time I read your blog I am so inspired. The fall decor is no exception. So adorable, and I cannot wait to put out our I’m thankful cards too!

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse
    October 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

Awww, so cute!! Love the touch of shimmer – so pretty.

Christine
    October 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

Love the pumpkins! I actually have the same owl “piggy bank” from Homegoods in our bedroom. He is uber cute.

ali thompson
    October 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm

i love that glitter paint. martha, i tell ya, she is good! great fall set up! glad i stumbled upon your blog.

Cari
    October 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm

About 7 years ago I saw a cute decor idea in a JC Penney catalog where they had hung a limb/branch from a tree over the bed and then hung empty picture frames by ribbon from it. I wanted it badly for our master bedroom. So my grandfather cut a fairly good sized limb from one of his trees for me and then we Poly-eurethaned (sp?) it. It hasn’t rotted or lost any of it’s bark or anything…..maybe you could try this with your little “baby-acorn limb”.

October 30, 2012 at 10:25 am

Oooh, good idea! Thanks for the tip : )

Alyssa Mastrianni
    November 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I love everything that glitters! Very inspired for next Halloween πŸ™‚