Kitchen

FINAL KITCHEN TO-DO’S

Kitchen Mixer | 7th House on the Left

Alright, it’s about time we call this turkey DONE. The turkey being the kitchen. Now that we have artwork, lighting, and floating shelves, the last two things on the list of to-do’s are counter stools and a window treatment for over the sink. I’m still wanting to edit the accessories here and there, but that will come together when the two final to-do’s are in place.

There haven’t been many changes since we last talked about the kitchen (which was a while ago), except moving the mixer over to the left of the sink, adding the coffee station, and the addition of the red squirrel cookie jar.

I really like having the mixer over in the left corner of the kitchen because it’s out of the way, yet still easily accessible when I want to use it (admittedly, that hasn’t been very often, but I’m hoping to change that in the future). It also fills up the corner quite nicely. Since it looked kind of lonely sitting there all alone, I grouped it with a little faux Ikea plant and a candle. (I love having candles lit around the house at night or on rainy days. It makes everything so cozy.) Since fall is in the air, right now, we also have a tiny white pumpkin.

By moving the mixer, we now have room for a “coffee station”. After months of having the kitchen “sorta done”, we finally got around to buying a coffee maker. We love this coffee maker. Like, love love. It’s Cuisinart’s 12-cup drip brewer and hot water system. The hot water system is what sold us on this baby. We eat a lot of oatmeal around here   and Greg likes the occasional flashback-to-college Ramen noodles, so it comes in really handy. It was originally $120, but was on sale at Bed Bath & Beyond for $99. Then I had a 20% off coupon (which I collect in my office like a squirrel stocking up for winter because they let you use expired ones!) and that dropped the price down to $79. A good deal in my book. I talked more about the coffee station (and how I organized everything) in this post over on iHeart Organizing. (Love that blog!)

When I saw this cookie jar at Target, I’m pretty sure I let out an audible “Oooo”. I have a thing for squirrels. We have a lot of them in our area, and I have fun watching from time to time. My family teases me about it a lot, but I’m not a crazy “squirrel watcher” or anything. I just think they’re cute. When I first saw it, I already had a ton of stuff in my cart, and I was trying to be “good”. So, even though I loved it, I passed. I texted a photo of it to Greg later that day and said something to the effect of, “He needs to come home with us!” Without me knowing, Greg went by Target on his way home from work and picked it up along with the matching butter dish. He’s a keeper. So the squirrel cookie jar now sits on the small counter space next to the stove. If I want to clear off the counter for some reason, I just put it in the pantry but I love that it adds some color and personality all in one. I think it would be fun to switch out different cookie jars seasonally, too. I have an antique one from my mom waiting in the wings that I’d love to revamp down the road.

Now… for what’s left on our list. First, a window treatment for over the sink…

Greg and I both like the look of roman shades, so we started there. We didn’t want our window covering to take away from the light fixture. The light is super simple, so the shade needed to be equally simple. Also, neither of us wanted anything white (we have enough of that already). Taking those things into consideration, we wanted to go with something like this…

…but in a darker shade of brown. Image from here. I think it would bring in an interesting texture that could be translated as a smidge rustic (which we both like).

We looked around at Home Depot, Lowe’s and even WalMart, but couldn’t find the finish or color we were looking for. I finally found this shade at JC Penny (or “JCP” as they’re saying on the commercials now) and think it will do just the trick. The inside of dimensions of the window are an odd size (36″x35″), but luckily, they offer custom cut blinds for just a few dollars more. I ordered it last night, and if we like it, we’ll be grabbing a couple for the half bath and laundry room, as well. They should be here sometime week after next, and we’ll be waiting, drill in hand.

Next on the list… bar stools. Growing up, the kitchen island at my grandparents’ house was the place for family cooking, school projects and long chats. It was one of those spots where you’d start talking and realize, three hours later, you’ve been standing the entire time. With that in mind, I want our peninsula to be a comfy place to work on projects, eat a quick lunch or talk for hours with friends and family. We also want the bar stools to tie in with the rest of the kitchen yet go with the (future decorated) living room.

Just for fun, we brought in the chairs from my office to see what a little color would look like…

While we really like the pop of color, we don’t think it’s the right color to be popped. Since the kitchen is completely open to the living room, I’d constantly be needing to tie in the coral bar chairs. Oddly enough, even though these are “counter chairs” instead of “counter stools”, they are actually a pretty comfy height. Even so, we think we need to go with something a little more neutral. So, the hunt is on.

Here are the three counter stools on our “short list”…

1. Rustic Counter Stools from West Elm
Likes:  Rustic wood, dark metal that ties in with the hardware, deep 21″ seat
Dislikes: Too straight? No padding?
Price: $320 for 2

2. Vintage French Cane Counter Stool from Restoration Hardware
Likes: Very comfy, weathered wood, a lot of fabric choices
Dislikes: Too traditional? Too… “French Country”?
Price:  $239 for 1

3. French Bistro Counter Stool from World Market
Likes: Wood tones, looks nice from the back, least expensive of the three
Dislikes: Not so comfy looking?
Price: $139 for 1

I could easily marinate on these for two weeks, but I’m giving myself a deadline of 36 hours to make a decision and place an order. So, Thursday night, time to order some counter stools. Finally, right?!

Nicole
    October 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

Can’t wait to see how the shade works out, have been eyeing them up from JCP too!

Elizabeth S
    October 31, 2012 at 9:47 am

Here’s one I love that looks (covet) similar to your examples, but a bit comfier looking than the W.M. one (albeit more expensive – however, Ballard Designs is having a 15% off sale for the next couple weeks)

October 31, 2012 at 9:49 am

Ooh, thanks for the link!

Elizabeth (again)
      October 31, 2012 at 12:38 pm

They also make a ‘counter height’ one that’s a bit shorter (and less expensive), but higher than a regular dining chair. Good luck!

Susi
    October 31, 2012 at 9:57 am

Awesome kitchen! Really great job you two.
    I love the subway tile going all the way to the top.
    Cute little carpet (I have the exact same one).

Kirsten
    October 31, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hi Ashley,
    New blog follower here – just want to say hello and let you know how much I’m enjoying your blog 🙂
    I can’t wait to see those blinds in action. We are having a hard time figuring out what we want to do in our kitchen too!
    🙂

October 31, 2012 at 10:06 am

Thanks so much, Kirsten! Glad you found us 🙂

Holly
    October 31, 2012 at 10:34 am

Absolutely beautiful! The color for the blinds should work out very well and can’t wait to see the new stools in action!

Lili
    October 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hi!
    Where did you get the chevron kitchen rug in front of your sink?
    Thanks!

October 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

It is the Zig Zag Bath Mat from West Elm. Even though it’s technically a “bath mat”, it works just as well for a “sink mat”, haha.

katy gray
    October 31, 2012 at 11:31 am

#1, definitely! So pretty and sleek. Love them.

Lori
    October 31, 2012 at 11:33 am

I think the West Elm barstool is more in line with your aesthetic, and you can always use tie-on chair pads for comfy bottoms.

Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms
    October 31, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Man, I love that kitchen. So clean and streamlined. I am also trying to figure out how I can do some sort of built in bookcase so I can have a display like yours. So cute! Have you thought about getting the more rustic metal stool look? That might look good in there!

October 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yeah, we went back and forth on that option too. I love the look but we just wanted something to “warm it up” a little. I love, love rustic metal stools though. I’ll just make my mom and dad use them when they start their kitchen reno next year, haha!

[email protected]
    October 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

If I could vote, I would vote for #3. It’s inexpensive and people don’t need cushion on a cushion (aka the butt). 🙂 Our chairs for our dinning room don’t have any cushion and we don’t notice it at all. I guess we’re too busy stuffing our faces. We use to have bar stools that had no cushions, and we would only sit for about 15 minutes anyways while talking to the other person in the kitchen.

I agree with Lori though about #1. It matches your decor better. #3 is a bit country (I like country). 🙂

Megan
    October 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm

So is the water function on the coffee maker like a tea kettle? Do you press a button and it boils?

My husband is a british tea fiend and I love coffee, I’d love to combine 🙂

October 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm

You put water in and wait for a few minutes while it heats up. It doesn’t come to a “boil”, but it’s definitely hot enough to use for Ramen, tea, oatmeal, hot chocolate, etc. Then you just press the button and fill your cup/bowl. It’s so handy!

Nicole
    October 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

LOVE barstool option #1… You’re making me want to replace my stools!

Tracie
    October 31, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I am coveting that coffee maker. Much like your husband, there are days when only ramen will do!

Love the window shade, and can’t wait to hear your review. I’m also voting number 1! I think number 2 would look overly traditional in your house.

jen w
    October 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm

#2 doesn’t go with your kitchen at all, IMO. I did the little “ooo” squeal at #1. I think it’s the right blend of rustic and industrial and the dark color should tie in nicely with the new shade. #3…meh, just doesn’t do it for me…not a fan of the finish.

kara @ launching our life together
    October 31, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Holy cow! I didn’t even know the squirrel cookie jar existed. However, I may or may not have the butter dish in my refrigerator as we speak.

Denise
    October 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I love option 1! Have been reading your blog from day 1, I’m a huge fan, wish you would blog everyday!

October 31, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Aw, thanks so much Denise!

courtney
    October 31, 2012 at 7:11 pm

love it all! that rug is great!! 🙂 and option #2 🙂

Sara Smith
    October 31, 2012 at 7:20 pm

West Elm stools…hands down!!

michelle
    October 31, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I got my counter height chairs at cost plus and everyone loves them. They are the grass/bamboo type and I picked them over the z gallerie version. I think they are having a 25% off furniture sale right now. Cost plus always has coupons too.

October 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’ll have to check that out! Thanks!

Leslie
    November 1, 2012 at 1:01 am

Nice choices, it turned out great. Enjoy!

Serena
    November 1, 2012 at 4:36 am

I have serious kitchen envy right now! Great work x

Erin {Home Everyday}
    November 1, 2012 at 9:24 am

That kitchen is gorgeous! I love subway tile. The shade is going to be perfect, and I cannot wait to see which stool you decide on. They are all beautiful.

Nicole @ Liberty Belles
    November 1, 2012 at 10:22 am

I have the same exact Love candle from Target! I used to stick exclusively to Illume brand candles (sold at Anthro and on their own website), but then I found these and fell in love. The lower price tag rocks too. Well, little did I know they are actually white-labeled Illume’s (or so I think given the Illume verbiage on the bottom of the jars)! So I’m back to being a one-brand candle type of girl 🙂

November 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

Who knew! haha They don’t carry them anymore at our Target though. I’m hoping they bring them back or else I haven’t to find a new favorite!

Nicole @ Liberty Belles
      November 2, 2012 at 11:13 am

ugh you’re SO right 🙁 Just went to buy a couple more since my first few are nearing the end of their lives and they were nowhere to be found. oh wellz

Lauren
    November 1, 2012 at 11:33 am

I am completely obsessed with your kitchen and decorating style. I love that its modern and minimalist, but so cozy and somehow colorful all at the same time. You should really think about opening a design business! My NYC apartment could really use your help!! (Love the cookie jar, love stool three! AND, it’s inexpensive enough that you could trade it out later if you find something you like better!)

November 1, 2012 at 11:38 am

Thanks so much! I won’t be opening a design business anytime soon though, haha. You have to be a professional to do that, and I’m far from it. I think I’ll stick to graphic design and blogging!

Jennifer
    November 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Just found your blog via Pinterest. I am a blogger from Virginia Beach! Love your kitchen renovations. My husband and I just purchased our house 2 years ago and are slowly making changes. We just found bar stools that we love at Pottery Barn. They are a similar look and feel to the ones you mentioned above. Here is a link to my thoughts on them: http://blog.shinewithjl.com/2012/10/19/in-love-with-my-benjamin-barstools/ Can’t wait to look around your blog a bit more!

November 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Yes, love those barstools too! They were on our list of maybes as well.
      Glad you found us : ) Yay for Pinterest, haha!

Amanda
    November 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I’m reading this post after you posted your choice, and I’m glad you went with the choice you did. It’s very “your kitchen”.

I do have a question – what finish is your kitchenaid stand mixer? There are two “silvers”, (I couldn’t decide between the two) but I loove yours!

November 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks! Our finish is called “metallic chrome”.

Amanda
      November 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thank you Ashley!

Corey Lambert
    November 3, 2012 at 3:24 am

Your kitchen is stunning!

Rachel
    November 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love the chairs you pulled in from your office – where did you find them? can you share more pictures of them?

November 12, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thanks! They are from HomeGoods. I’ll try to post some more photos of them next time we talk about my office : )

Angela
    January 11, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I have to know where you got your kitchen sink! I tried searching the blog but never found it. We are currently building a house and I have yet to find a “farm sink” I love so I thought I was going to have to settle on a 1 compartment undermount, but I LOVE yours!

January 11, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Thanks! It’s Kohler’s Dickinson Apron-Front, Undercounter Sink. We bought it at Lowe’s and they matched a really good price we found at another store online (a lot less than what they have listed on the Lowe’s website). Hope that helps!

David
    February 3, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Is the color of the trim in your kitchen the same color as your cabinets?

February 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Yes, we actually purchased the trim in the kitchen from Kraft Maid to match the cabinets. Hope that helps!

Kim
    March 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hi! We are in the planning stages of doing our kitchen and about to order cabinets.. I love your counters and I am thinking you did not use carrera marble.. what kind of counter tops are those?? Thank you!! LOVE THE KITCHEN!!!!!

March 18, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Thank you! There’s a full post about the countertops here.

Kim
    March 18, 2014 at 10:13 am

Also what is your width on the bar (where chairs would be- from wall to bookshelf)? Thanks!!!!

March 18, 2014 at 2:50 pm

There’s 68″ from the wall to the back of the bookshelf – about 82″ overall.

evelise
    November 16, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Beautiful kitchen….can you share the brand for the cabinet pulls?

January 4, 2016 at 9:34 am

Thank you! They are KitchenMaid as well.