Isn’t it so crazy that the end of October is already here?! So, so crazy! Well, it’s the last Friday of the month, meaning it’s time for another round of His + Her Favorite Things.
1. Star Wars Glass Set – Every time we go to Target, I’m tempted to pick a set or two these guys up. I’m hoping to use one as a pen holder in my office, then store the others with the “special occasion” dishes. Then I can pull them out whenever my geeky friends come over!
2. Thomas Paul Tool Pouch – I’m forever trying to find a good place to store small tools and parts that I use around the house. Larger tools, oddly enough, aren’t that big of an issue–they tend to fit nicely in a drawer or a storage bin. The biggest problem I have is losing small tools and parts, like nails, picture hangers, and even small pairs of pliers. One of these pouches would be a great solution – and a great gift for a fellow DIY’er.
3. Child’s Play Charity – Don’t worry–it has nothing to do with the movie! Child’s Play donates video games and game systems to hospitals for sick kids. The distraction helps them keep their minds off the treatment they’re receiving and focus on something fun and exciting. Rather than feeling like patients, the children can feel a bit more like other kids while they’re in the hospital. As a bit of a gamer, I think this charity is pretty cool and different. Check out Child’s Play the next time you’re thinking about giving a charitable gift!
4. iPhone Gramophone – Isn’t this thing awesome?! I love the trend of high-tech electronics being incorporated into designs that are classic with a modern flair, and this is a perfect example of why. While this isn’t really something I’d buy for myself, it’s definitely something to look at.
5. Skil Jigsaw – I’ve always wanted a jigsaw, and I’m not completely sure why because I can’t think of too many projects we’d need to use it for. Regardless, since we’re going to be doing some minor woodworking on a project this weekend, I now have a great excuse to own one. Even though this isn’t a top-shelf professional-grade tool, it’s an affordable solution for pretty much any project we would find ourselves doing. If we end up using it a lot more often (or for heavier-duty projects), we’ll upgrade to something with a bit more oomph.
1. Red by Taylor Swift – I come from a very musical family. Well, scratch that. My dad isn’t musical… unless you count running a sound board? He’s more the handy type. But, my mom and brother are, and I married a musician. That being the case, it’s no surprise that I have a rather eclectic taste in music. I listen to everything from Tommy Dorsey, Feist, The Temper Trap, Tony Bennett, Lady Antebellum, One Republic to Adel. Yes, eclectic. The latest favorite album added to my list: Red by Taylor Swift. I love how she still has the country roots but it’s mixed with big hooks and unexpected melodies. Not only are the tracks really good, but I love the photography and graphic design on the album art (particularly the inside art). It’s really bold and modern with a tinge of vintage.
2. Thanksgiving Cards. – This year, we’re switching it up a little, and instead of sending out Christmas cards, we’re going with Thanksgiving cards. On our short list of design options is Rifle Paper Co.’s Thankful Forest design. I love the colors, espresso envelopes and… it has squirrels on it! I love squirrels. I’m thinking about adding a gold envelope liner – it would look awesome against the espresso envelopes!
3. Macbook Pro Retnia Display – I finally “pulled the trigger” (as Greg puts it) on a new computer. My desktop made me a slave to my desk, and not being able to work anywhere else was starting to take a toll on my brain power. On top of that, my circa-2005 Mac Pro was as slow as molasses and crashed constantly. Don’t even get me started on the time I lost ALL of my Brown & Barkley files. That was a bad, bad day. After a lot of going back and forth, I decided on the 15″ Macbook with Retina Display. I have to admit, after I hit the “Place Order” button, I immediately second guessed my decision. I read a lot of mixed reviews on the retina display. Regardless, I left my order as it was and crossed my fingers. I’ve been working off of it for about two weeks now and I can confidently say… Best. Purchase. Ever. Like, seriously, this thing has changed my life. Not only is it fast as lightning, but the retina display is amazing – especially for someone like me who writes / reads a lot. Yes, some web images are a tad blurry because they haven’t “crossed over” to the higher resolution yet, but it’s not enough to bother me, and I’m pretty picky when it comes to that. Bottom line: my new BFF.
4. Nate Berkus Decorative Box – It’s official. The Nate Berkus Collection has arrived at Target. Yay! It’s hard to pick a favorite item, but I’d have to go with this yummy mustard yellow decorative box. It’s the “perfect yellow”, and it would be cute to keep a few decks of cards in it on the coffee table or something, right? Also, I wish I had an excuse to buy new towels, because I’m really loving these.
5. Dog Toy – The holiday line of Martha Stewart dog toys came out at PetsMart this week. Need I say more? I may or may not have picked Bentley up a pet turkey. I’m going to save it in our “secret future toy stash” to give him around Thanksgiving. Seeing as how turkey is his favorite snack around the holidays, that makes this toy ironic… and oh so cute.
That wraps up this installment of His + Her Favorite Things! Have any fun plans this weekend? We’ll be busy finishing up our project for the Home Depot Style Challenge. Let’s just say… we’re going to be building something, and Greg’s new jigsaw might come in handy. Keep an eye out for a few hints on Instagram over the weekend. ; )