Guest Bedroom Holiday

A GUEST ROOM READY FOR CHRISTMAS

guestroomchristmaskey

I normally leave the decorating posts up to Ash, but she’s feeling a bit under the weather, so I’m taking over this one. Luckily, she’s already taken a bunch of photos, so you won’t have to deal with my lackluster photography skills ; )

Like a majority of the rest of the house, the guest room is in a constant state of flux. We’re constantly rearranging things, adding small details, and generally working to make the house fit our lifestyle and tastes. Up until last weekend, the guest room was serving as sort of a storage room of sorts of things that needed to be Criagslisted and a few other odds and ends we weren’t quite sure what to do with yet. But, seeing as how the holiday season is now here, we needed to get the room in shape for company. Though, we do have one notable update to share…

…we finally added sconces for either side of the bed. Find the same ones here. We really like the iron finish and the crisp white drum shades. We’ve heard from our guests that they’re very handy at night, as well. Ashley’s grandparents are avid readers, so they particularly enjoy using them when they stay with us.

Every time she walks into the guest room, Ash reminds me we really need to put something over the bed. We originally planned on hanging three frames above the bed (we actually even had the frames hung and waiting for art!) but we’ve recently been discussing something we’d like to do after the holidays that may or may not include a wall treatment for the wall the bed is on. Once that’s done, I think the room will finally start coming together.

Even though the guest room isn’t completely finished, we have a few friends and family who will be staying with us off and on over the next few weeks. In light of that, we decided to spread a little Christmas cheer for our overnight guests.

I promise Ash didn’t stage this when we took this photo. Bentley is just weird like that. Just in time for our guest room spruce-up, our friends at Target sent us a big box of holiday goodies from their Threshold line. By the way, this isn’t a Target Inner Circle gig, this actually came from another department within the Target family. Our Christmas-related Target Inner Circle activity will be coming up in a few weeks – and we’re really excited about it!

In the big box, which Bentley quickly conquered,  was… 1. a Silver Wreath 2. a gold Cable Knit Throw, 3. a Golden Pinecone Candle (that smells really awesome, by the way), and 4. a Pine Tree Pillow. Using these things from Target, along with some stuff we already had in our Christmas decorations, we were able to come up with a fun, simple Christmas-ized vibe for our guest room. Here’s what we did…

As you can see already, we decided to use pops of red here and there. What’s more “Christmas” than red? We also thought it would contrast nicely with the different shades of blue used throughout the room. Listen to me getting all Vern Yip on you guys! The wreath went on the mirror above the dresser, which tied in with the gray bedding. It also looks great with the black frame of the mirror. (Much to Ashley’s surprise, I’m a huge fan of contrast and balance in colors and tones.)

I had to throw in this photo just because I thought it was cool. Plus, it shows the details of the wreath a little better.

On the right side of the dresser, we put two glass Christmas trees paired with what I like to call “the abstract snow man”. Ash picked it up at Hobby Lobby the other day for about $6 (on sale, down from $12). It’s probably meant to be decorated, but we thought it looked cool just like this. I think it’s a neat modern take on the snowman. The trees are from Tuesday Morning, but Ash bought them about 5 years ago, so it might be difficult to find them now. She actually used them in her college townhouse in Tennessee. They are super fragile, so we’re kind of surprised they’ve survived three states and five moves.

Over on the left side of the dresser is a tray (from Target) with a “twiggy” Christmas tree (from Cracker Barrel), an antique candy dish (from the Cold Harbor Antique Mall), and a rogue Christmas ornament.

We also included an extra house key for guests to use while they’re staying with us. To give it that extra Christmas spirit, Ash put a small red shatterproof ornament on the key ring.

On the bedside table, we replaced the faux white hydrangeas that normally sit there with the gold pinecone candle Target sent us. Even though mixing metals is sometimes considered a no-no, we are all for it. I actually like the way this particular shade of gold looks with the small silver frame. Inside the frame is a photo of Ash when she was a baby blowing bubbles with her Grandma. Since Ashley’s grandparents often stay with us when they come to Richmond, we thought this was a great place for the photo.

We brought this tired chair in here a few month ago when we decided to move it out of the living room, and, while we love the side table (we bought it from a store downtown a while back), we don’t quite know what to do with it just yet. That’s the reason this is our “hodgepodge” room at the moment. We’re planning on replacing the chair and side table with new ones once the room starts coming together more, but this is what we’re working with for now. Oh, and you may have noticed the rug. We actually bought that about a year ago. At the time, it seemed to fit the direction the room was going, but now, we’re not so sure. We’re planning on Craigslisting it down the road unless it miraculously goes with what we’re planning for this room in the future.

We were able to cozy up the corner with the throw blanket and pillow Target sent – both of which will go perfectly with what we have planned for this room! Ash loves the muted shade of yellow and actually used it as inspiration for a graphic design client she’s working with right now. The pillow is awesome, and really helps bring in the white accents from the other side of the room.

On the side table, we have our guest basket along with a little white pot from Ikea with a mistletoe plant and a few more rogue ornaments.

The “plant” is actually a ball of faux mistletoe we picked up from Target last year. By sitting it on top of the pot, it looks like a mini-topiary. I came up with that idea all on my own, and I have been tooting my own horn about it ever since!

Our guest basket is full of nice-to-have things for our overnight guests. This “winter edition” is stocked with three bottles of water, two Christmas coloring books and a box of crayons (fun for kids and the kids at heart), a small box of gourmet sugar cookies, the latest edition of Richmond Magazine, a Sudoku book, a deck of playing cards and a Snowman in a Box (just in case we get lucky with some snow). We also talk about this in our Target Inner Circle article that will be going up soon over on Target’s online magazine, A Bullseye View. We’ll be sure to let you guys know when it’s published!

That about wraps up what we’ve been up to in the guest room. Hopefully our friends and family that will be popping in and out over the next few weeks will feel comfortable in there – even though Ash is a wreck about it not being “finished” yet, haha. If you’ve felt like all of our posts lately are Christmas-related, it’s because they have been. I guess that’s bound to happen when we’re having fun decking our halls and we post just three days a week. But rest assured! We’ll be back Wednesday with a non-Christmas, house-related post!

The folks at Target gifted the four items mentioned above, but, as usual, the content and opinions in this post are our own.

Katy
    December 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

i just love your blog. every time i drop by, i just love what you guys are up to! your house is amazing and you have the best, most creative ideas. LOVE it. keep up the awesome work and thanks for blogging!

December 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

Thank you so much! You made my day 🙂

Erin {Home Everyday}
    December 3, 2012 at 10:42 am

This looks gorgeous! I saw that wreath at Target, and after seeing it hung in this room, I am totally convinced I need to run back and get it! Also, those sconces are perfect!

December 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Glad to pass on the Target addiction, haha : ) I always thought it was pretty online, but when I saw it in person and out of the box, I was in complete love with it!

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    December 3, 2012 at 11:13 am

Goodness gracious…your home is so classy. Every room is breathtakingly simple and pulled together. I dream of my home looking like that haha!

Ashlee
    December 3, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Do you have a source list for the bedding updates you made? 😉

Keep up the good work, your home is B-E-A-U-TIFUL!

December 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thank you! I forgot to remind Greg to mention the bedding updates… since the yellow and gray quilt that was on the bed was very “Springy”, we took it off and left the white duvet (from Tuesday Morning) as is and folded a gray quilt (from Target) near the foot of the bed. The three blue pillows are from the long lost Linens ‘N Things Nate Berkus collection (they used to be on our master bed in our apartment). The two large gray Euro pillows are from Target.

Caitlin @ Desert Domicile
    December 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

The room looks great! I love the guest basket idea. Nice touch 🙂

K @ Shift Ctrl ART
    December 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Love everything! What a great place for your guests to stay. You really put it over the top for me with that ornament key ring 🙂

December 3, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Thanks! That was my favorite part too, haha.

HeidiG
    December 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Wow. I want our guest room to look like this and so luxurious with all the nice touches (especially the little snack box…genius!!!

Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms
    December 3, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Fun updates! I love how you have that guest room box full of goodies. I might have to put together something like that!

Maria
    December 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I am new reader and I just wanted to pop in and say that I’ve been looking for a the perfect design blog for a while now – one whose style I want to mimic and whose style makes sense to me – and yours fits the bill perfectly!

My husband and I are in the process of buying/building our first house and I’ve been using your blog as a resource to figure out how we want to decorate and furnish one when we get it. Thanks so much for sharing your craft!

Oh and we are natives of VA, so I feel a connection 🙂

December 3, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Awww, thank you so much! We love, love, love hearing from new readers! Congrats on your new house : )

Dacia @ Lemon Drop Life
    December 3, 2012 at 9:34 pm

All the new little additions look fabulous!

PS – Ohmygosh, did you guys add a ‘snowing’ effect to the site? SO cute!!

December 3, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Yeah, Greg added the snow! He’s a keeper ; )
      Thanks!

Katherine kealey
    December 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Where is the metal bed from?

December 3, 2012 at 10:07 pm

It’s from Ikea… we talk more about it in this post from way back.

Christy
    December 4, 2012 at 9:15 am

I love your blog. And basically I just want to come stay in this room! The new target throw is so awesome I had to order one in blue! Thank you for making me smile 🙂

Kay
    December 4, 2012 at 9:37 am

As a new fan (lover) of your blog, I’m constantly finding things to obsess over and currently I’m obsessed with the idea of using an ornament as a key ring for guests! Absolutely adorable touch that I would have never thought of, that I’m sure guests will notice!

Kelly
    December 4, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Gorgeous room! I’ve been looking high and low for a new holiday wreath. When I saw this one on your site, I knew I had to have it. Three Targets and seven salespersons later, my husband located it! So thrilled to see it on my front door as I arrived home tonight. Thanks so much!

December 5, 2012 at 2:17 am

Yay! Glad you found it : )

louisem
    December 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Great guest room ideas..Looks wonderful! I’ve just been doing up my guest room as well for some long term guests about to arrive. Love the basket idea and the water bottles. I’ve been trying to think of some extra touches like this… thank you.

A few things I added to my guest room I hadn’t done before was a mesh laundry bag in the closet and a notecard on nightstand with the wifi password. I’ve been toying with adding a luggage rack but just haven’t found one that I really like yet that was sturdy.

Great post…really enjoy your blog.

December 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Great ideas!

louisem
    December 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Gosh…now I have to get that gold pinecone candle and silver wreath!

Bentley looks like he is in a commercial 🙂

Abby
    September 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

Where is the dresser from? I love all of the little drawers for small storage.

September 25, 2013 at 9:39 am

It’s from Ikea, we love it!

Robin
    January 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Canyou please tell me the color of the paint you used for this room? It’s lovely.

January 9, 2014 at 9:48 am

It was Martha Stewart’s Artesian Well (we’ve since painted the room Anonymous by Behr).