Laundry Room Painting

Behr Anonymous / 7th House on the Left

At the end of Wednesday’s post, I talked about how I’ve been hankering to paint the laundry room. I’ve been struggling with what to do with this room and I finally came to the conclusion that the roadblock is the paint color. While I totally love the pleasant, calming effect of Martha’s Artisan Well, it’s just not working for this room and the particular style we’re working towards. It just looks a little… is juvenile the word I’m looking for? In this respect, I have no room to talk because I watch the Disney Channel, own coloring books and am currently listening to Justin Bieber’s Christmas album, haha. I don’t know what the right word is, but the bottom line is that it just isn’t jiving for us.

So, after 24 more hours to think about it, we’re officially going gray. I know, I know. Some of you are probably thinking, “Gray? Again?!”. Yep. Gray, again. A part of me pains to paint over the blue, but we’re planning on bringing in this shade of pool blue into the accents and accessories. In a way, I think that will bring out the blue even more, so when it’s all said and done, it’s a win win. I think I would be perfectly happy if every room in the house were gray. A nice gray pallet really gives you the opportunity to play with colors, textures and styles and well, we love it. It’s sophisticated, modern, warm and airy all at the same time.

With all of that said, we’re now on the quest for the perfect gray. As far as looking for the perfect shade of gray, I don’t think there is one due to the simple fact that it depends on the room. I’m not a color expert, but I do realize there isn’t any color that’s “just gray”. You’d think gray is in the middle of white and black and you go left to right depending on how dark you want your gray to be, right? Sadly, it’s a little more complicated than that. There are yellow grays, blue grays, green grays, neutral grays, so on and so on. Mainly, we like to stay away from the greens and blues and stick with the neutrals or sometimes the yellows (like our living room, which is Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone). For the laundry room, we want to keep things pretty neutral and out of any obvious “color spectrum grays”. Last night, we went to Home Depot to pick up a bunch of gray paint swatches and this is what we brought home…

Solid colors tend to vary from monitor to monitor, so they may look different on different computers. Going from left to right, starting on the top row, we have… French Gray and Granite Gray by Glidden then Cement Gray and Zinc by Martha Stewart. On the second row (all by Behr), the first swatch is Sparrow, Anonymous, Dark Granite, and Stealth Jet. Over to the other swatch, Gray Area, Dark Ash, Evening Hush, and lastly Beluga. After reading that last one, I couldn’t get “Baby Beluga” out of my head! Gotta love Full House…

At first glance, Greg and I both liked French Gray by Glidden (the first one on the first row). On the other hand, Anonymous looked more modern and less beige in direct sunlight. We taped the swatches on all of the walls of the laundry room to see them in different lighting and against the trim. After sleeping on it, we finally decided on…

Anonymous by Behr. We love the modern warmth of it and I think it will make wall art and the white trim really pop. Just to make sure we were on the right track, I searched the internet looking for photos of rooms using the same color. When I found this photo (from here) I knew it was the right color for us…

Painting isn’t typically on Greg’s favorite things list, but much to my surprise, he suggested that we go ahead and paint it this weekend. I guess I caught him on a good day, haha. Being that we’re super busy from now until Christmas, we probably won’t be able to make any decorating changes quite yet, but the room will at least be painted and ready to go. I’m so excited to have this road block out of the way and closer to a finished laundry room.

Before I go off and look for my paint sweats…

Greg and I wanted to let you guys in on our next Target Inner Circle activity – which will be coming at you right here on the blog in just a few weeks. Drumroll… Target has asked us to design a Christmas party! Do you guys know how much I LOVE Christmas parties?!?! They have armed us with a Target gift card and given us free reign on everything from the theme to the menu. In their words, “It is what you make it”. As you can tell from my utter excitement, I love, love, love entertaining so I was really stoked about this when they first shared the plan with us a few months ago. We had a lot of fun “themes” written down on our short list, but we finally decided to go with a “Baby It’s Cold Outside” brunch. This will be a fun, easy party for anyone to host during the winter months – which makes us even more excited to share it. Greg and I are ironing out the finial details but this entire process has been so much fun. That being said, over the next few weeks, I’ll be pinning some of my favorite Christmas party ideas as well as my party must-haves from Target. So if you don’t already follow me on Pinterest, click on over. Also, when we post about the party, we’ll also be throwing some Target love your way with another giveaway! Woo to the hoo!

December 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

We used Anonymous to paint the back of a well-loved Billy Ikea bookcase, and loved the shade of gray!!

Our office is pale green with white and wood tones, and I think the gray looks great! It has been a fun color to use to accessorize the room with, yet still matches the over palette of the house (which is more natural tones — blues, greens, browns).

December 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m a new reader to your blog. I love it!

Just wanted to let you know we painted our bedroom Anonymous and we are so happy! It’s a very calming color yet modern and any furniture and artwork you choose will really pop. It’s a great choice for your laundry room!

December 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Yay! Good to know : )
      And thanks for reading – we love new readers!

Lori H
    December 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

I am sooo glad that I follow you on Pinterest. I need some ideas for my Christmas party. (Granted, the party is 8 days away, but ideas are exciting whenever). Love the gray that you picked!

Anna @ Scrappy Place
    December 7, 2012 at 10:41 am

We JUST painted our bedroom Anonymous this weekend! We used the tone lighter (Sparrow)for our second bedroom, too. Good choice!

December 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Thanks! We picked it up at an antique store a while back. Fortunately, it fits that little wall perfectly.

December 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm

As always, I can’t wait to see your utility room after it’s painted! Will we get to see it on Monday? No pressure, but I hope so;) Are you painting the bathroom too?

December 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Yep, we’re painting the half bath too. I have some wall art waiting in the wings for that room that I’m dying to see against the gray walls. We’re hoping to have it posted Monday. If not Monday, then definitely Tuesday : )

December 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm

What a coincidence! I just recently found “my” perfect shade of gray. I went with Behr’s Dark Ash. It worked great in my bathroom. The Anonymous shade really works for your space as well. Check out my bathroom to see what the color looks like..

December 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the link : )

Kenz @ Interiors By Kenz
    December 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm

There is a crazy/weird excitement with picking paint colors!

My favorite is splashing my walls with the samples, so I can really see the colors come to life, and decide which one I like best.

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

katie @ cardigan
    December 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Our laundry room is also a similar shade of grey! {Sherwin Williams Gray Matters} Love it, love it, love it! Can’t wait to hear about the party!

December 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hi there,

first of all, LOVE your blog. You are inspiration. Love reading it and sicne I am new (sorry, busy mom so blogs are something I am just now finding time to read) I go back and read lots of your older stuff. Love it.

Anyway, this gray is amazing! I am in the process of picking color for my daughter’s play room. I knew I wanted gray color but just now you helped me decide which shade. What do you think, is it too cold for the kids’ room? Furniture is mainly white. There is a blue chair (IKEA egg shaped kids’ chair) and some yellow. That’s it. Otherwise open canvas.

What are your advices on the wall color?

December 7, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Thanks so much! Really, we love hearing from new readers : )

Yes, I think gray could definitely work in a playroom! With your white furniture and lots of fun colors by way of art and accessories (pillows and such), you could have a very fun and chic kid’s room. Hope that helps!

December 10, 2012 at 8:57 am

I can’t wait to see how it turns out! I’m shamelessly copying you, since I’ve spent the last year putting up grey samples all over my own bedroom wall – I just needed SOMEONE to make the decision for me so thanks. I’ll go get a sample to try this week.

December 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oh, I know the feeling! haha

December 10, 2012 at 9:45 am

Our bedroom is painted Dolphin Fin by Behr. I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a light, airy shade of grey.

Erin {Home Everyday}
    December 10, 2012 at 10:10 am

Gray is my new favorite everything neutral. I feel like you can even mix other warmer neutrals with it, so it will be perfect for the laundry room. I cannot wait to see the accents πŸ™‚

Dacia @ Lemon Drop Life
    December 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’m totally on board with you..gray is my favorite paint color, and I think it makes any room look fresh and warm!