Kitchen

GETTING SHADY

Kitchen Sink Shade  /  7th House on the Left

Today, we have a short and sweet update about a little addition to the kitchen. Remember when we talked about ordering a blind to go over the kitchen sink? Yeah? That was about nine weeks ago. Out of the blue, the day before Christmas, the UPS guy finally appeared at our front door with a big, long box. Merry Christmas to us!Β With all of the holiday activities going on, we ended up not being able to hang it up until a few days later, but, now, it’s up and we think it looks pretty awesome…

Kitchen Sink Shade / 7th House on the Left

The instillation process was a 5-minture no-brainer. All Greg had to do was drill the two metal brackets that came with the shade into the window frame and snap the shade into place on the brackets. It looks a ton nicer than the inexpensive white ones we had before and the warm dark tones really help warm everything up. It’s the perfect finishing touch we were looking for. Do you guys know what this means?! The kitchen is done. I’m sure I’ll be switching our accessories every now and then but all of the “permanent fixtures” are installed and accounted for. That’s a huge relief – and kind of a weird feeling all at the same time, haha.

Here’s another shot of the shade from the peninsula…

Kitchen Sink Shade / 7th House on the Left

I’m totally still learning the ins and outs of my camera when it comes to shooting the kitchen – specifically shots with the kitchen window in it. No matter how overcast it is outside, the light coming in from the window is blaring in like crazy. If I get the window area just right, the rest of the kitchen looks gloomy. Which is why I’m going to be watching my Shoot Fly Shoot class again this next next weekend. Because, clearly I need it! haha

Erin {Home Everyday}
    January 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

It DOES look awesome! This is one of those, “yeah, that just happened” posts! I cannot believe what a difference it is making to the kitchen. Nice work!

Molly
    January 7, 2013 at 9:09 am

LOVE this! Great update πŸ™‚

Sandy
    January 7, 2013 at 9:09 am

Who knew a shade could make so much difference! I just adore your kitchen!!!

Casey @ Waffling
    January 7, 2013 at 9:09 am

I would never complain about getting TOO much natural light! My place always looks gloomy!

Love the finished kitchen!!

January 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

Oh, I love the natural light… it’s just my photography skills that are lacking, haha!

Liz
    January 7, 2013 at 10:07 am

I having been loving your kitchen for a long time. We are just beginning our kitchen redo process and was wondering what range you ended up getting. We are also electric and in love with the Samsung refrigerator (who knew they made such great fridges?). But, I think I want to go with a Kitchenaid range… Do you think they need to match?

January 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

We ended up going with the Electrolux Wave-Touch Series and we LOVE it! Especially the second oven on the bottom and the control panel. We actually wrote a post about the matching topic (here). My inner OCD used to be hung up on the brands matching, but in our opinion, when it’s all said and done, what matters is the appliance itself. We ultimately went with the range we loved and called it a day. A year later, we’re still happy with it and my inner OCD hasn’t kicked in once ; )

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    January 7, 2013 at 11:12 am

Love it! We just picked out something similar for over our kitchen island!

Brad @ Mr. Write Away
    January 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… I love your kitchen! And I want one just like it.

Jessie @ Cape 27
    January 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I’ve been hearing really good things about the Shoot Fly Shoot class. I think you may have just convinced me to sign up πŸ™‚

January 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It completely and utterly changed the way I take photos!

Casey @ PrettyOrganized
    January 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Your kitchen is so gorgeous!! The new blind looks great! I love how it ties in with your color scheme & makes the dark accents (drawer pulls, etc.) pop against the white!

Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms
    January 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm

So great! I think it brings some good texture to the room. I love how little things can really bring a room together and make it feel complete.

Jessica @ Decor Adventures
    January 8, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Very nice! Your photos are so crisp, I love them πŸ™‚

Erica
    January 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I just love everything about your kitchen, as well as your way of describing the entire process. We are also just starting a kitchen renovation so this blog has been a great inspiration for us. I am just wondering if your final cost was as expected in your budget. I’m not sure if you post a breakout or not. It has been hard for us to estimate because it seems we have quotes of all levels, especially for the cabinets. First appointment with Lowe’s is this weekend, so I am excited to see how they compare.

January 9, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I’m so glad our posts have been able to help! We haven’t posted a budget break down yet (that’s on the to do list), but the estimate they gave us and the amount we ended up paying was accurate down to the penny. It was really great working with them. We started out telling them our “dream kitchen” then cutting things out until it was around the price we were looking for. Have fun designing your new kitchen!!

Emily
    January 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hi Ashley! I am a long time reader and I love your kitchen. It is simply beautiful. I am in the same boat as Erica. Hubby and I are starting the daunting task of a kitchen renovation and frankly, I’m overwhelmed.

I was curious why you ultimately chose Lowe’s & KraftMaid…? It seems most DIYers/bloggers go the IKEA route.

We got an estimate from Lowe’s yesterday and its pretty high. Although a DIY kitchen isn’t really a option for us (both work full-time plus my husband is in grad school), I still feel conflicted on what to do. 25k for the professionals or 10k for DIY/Ikea…

Thanks again for the inspiration πŸ™‚

Emily
    January 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Oops, I just found your posting on the pros & cons of Ikea and Lowes. Disregard my question. Thanks πŸ™‚

January 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

No worries! Have fun with your kitchen reno! : )

Meghan
    January 23, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hi! I just came over from Bower Power and I LOVE your kitchen! I’m hoping to start renovating our kitchen in the spring. I’d love our counters to be as clear and clean as yours, but we currently have our microwave taking up too much space. Where did you put yours? Is it in a cabinet?

January 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Thank you! Well, since we rarely use the microwave, we keep it on a rolling microwave cart in the laundry room closet (right next to the kitchen). If we need to use it, we can easily roll it right into the kitchen. So far, the set up has really worked out well! Thanks again!! : )

Erica
    January 25, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Do you remember the size of the hardware you selected? I am noticing that there are multiple choices from RH and other places. Thanks!

January 26, 2013 at 2:05 pm

When we placed our cabinet order, we got to pick out any of the KraftMaid hardware for free (not sure if that’s standard or a promo going on at the time). We originally planned to Craigslist what they gave us and go ahead and buy the Restoration Hardware design we loved so much. But, once we got the KM hardware in, we fell in love with it and stuck with that. I’m not sure what the exact size of the hardware is, but the design number is 7014 and has a weathered bronze look). Hope that helps!

Erica
    January 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm

By the way, I should mention that we also decided on Lowe’s. So far so good!! Thanks again for all the inspiration πŸ˜‰

January 26, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Yay! We’d love to see photos when you finish!

Liz Stevens
    January 27, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful! We are getting close to a full kitchen reno in our loft right now and your subway tile is exactly what we are going for! And the shade looks great too!

juliana
    October 7, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Hi,
    Where did you get your blind? I like that tone and I usually find the lighter ones…
    Love your kitchen and I’m going to buy that same quartz. Thanks for sharing!

October 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thank you!! The blinds on the doors are from Walmart β€” however! Since then, we bought these blinds from JC Penny for the kitchen window above the sink and we like them a lot more than the Walmart blinds. They look the same, but they work a lot better when you go to raise/lower them. Hope that helps!

Ela
    October 21, 2013 at 8:41 am

your kitchen is amazing! love the white subway tiles! greatings from germany! ela