House Happenings

SUNSHINE & PALM TREES

Instagram: 7thhouseblog

Last week, Greg and I were both under the weather. Fortunately, now things are looking up and we’re feeling better and better each day – which is a good thing because we’re officially on vacation in sunny California!

Instagram: 7thhouseblog

Saturday night, we left the dreary forty-degree weather in Virginia and are now enjoying the upper sixties and seventies of Los Angeles – and it feels oh so good. Back in June, I came to LA to spend some time with my mom and brother and take in the sights (more on that and my family’s not-so-normal temporary living arrangement in this post). It was loads of fun, but Greg wasn’t able to join in because of his 9 to 5. When I came back home, I found myself saying “Uhhh, you would SO love California!!” about a bajillion times, we both knew a bonafide California vacation was in order. We booked our tickets back in July, and after six months of excitement, we flew in last night and are now officially on vacation.

burbank

This is the street where my mom and Abram live in downtown Burbank… isn’t it cute?! Since my trip in June, I now have this deep I-Love-Lucy-kind-of-love for California. Not that I don’t love Virginia – we love our four seasons and down home southern living – LA just has a completely different climate, atmosphere and vibe than Richmond and I’m head over heals for it. My cousin said we should move out there and change the blog name to “7th House on the West”, haha. We definitely aren’t planning to move, but I’m hoping Greg tags along on the I-Love-California bandwagon so we can make it out here more often. Oh, and as for Bentley, he’s at home holding down the fort at the house with my dad who’s dog/house sitting for us. Thank goodness for awesome dads!

Instagram: 7thhouseblog

Funny story behind this photo. We drove up Canyon Lake Drive to get a good view of the sign (like every good tourist), jumped out of the car to snap this photo and… the keys were locked in the car. Three hours, a little bit of a sun burn and a bunch of photos later, a nice man named Kilo, from AAA, was officially our new BFF. I may or may not have told him he was my sunshine. Ahh, memories.

Instagram: 7thhouseblog

We have some fun stuff planned over the next two weeks… Greg will be going to NAMM with my brother (which is basically a huge convention for people in the music industry to check out all of the latest and greatest gadgets), we’ll be going to Disneyland (duh!), driving up the coast to Malibu, sitting in on a taping of one of my favorite Disney Channel shows, Jessie – Yes, I’m 27. Don’t hate. – shopping at the Grove, and taking probably more than one trip to Sprinkles.

Even though we’ll be enjoying a little R&R, we’re still going to be blogging as usual (Monday, Wednesday and Friday… and maybe a few bonus vacation-related posts here and there). Though, we might be a little delayed with moderating comments and answering emails. We’ll definitely be sharing our adventures on Instagram and Twitter – so make sure you’re following us over there if you don’t already. In the mean time, do you guys have anything we must see and do while we’re here? Your pointers during my last trip where perfect and you guys hit a home run with Porto’s and Urth Caffé!

Oh, we’re keeping Brown & Barkley open while we’re in LA, but orders placed between January 21st and February 2nd will ship on February 4th.

Erin M
    January 21, 2013 at 1:04 pm

You guys are going to have so much fun! I love Cali!

Jennifer
    January 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Have fun you too! You deserve it!
    Totally jealous that you get to see a Jessie taping. And I’m 33!

corrie isaacs
    January 21, 2013 at 1:23 pm

My name is Corrie Isaacs, Kathy Isaacs daughter in law, I’ve been reading your blog for a little while now and thought it was time to say Hello:) My mother-in-law loved your mom and while Kathy was sick you designed a beautiful poster for her that she hung in her hospital room and in her home while sick. The family still has the poster and we cherish it because Kathy did. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time visiting family! Im not sure if your mom will remember who I am but please tell my husband (Jeremy Isaacs) and I said hi!

January 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Thank you so much, Corrie! Mom definitely remembers you and said to tell you and the family hello. You all mean so much to her and Jan : )

Amanda
    January 21, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I’m so jealous that you are going to a taping of Jessie! And yes I am 28….haha.

Stephanie
    January 21, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Umami Burger is a MUST and they just opened one at The Grove! Seriously, the delicious sweet potato fries have cinnamon and sugar and they make all their condiments from scratch!! Definitely worth the splurge for their Manly Burger or their Truffle Burger.

January 21, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I’ve been to The Counter (and loved it) but have heard so many yummy things about Umami! Putting it on the list!

Chrissy Floyd
    January 21, 2013 at 10:54 pm

You picked a good week to come out here since our So Cal weather has been on an upswing. I live in Riverside County and it was about 77 today, so I’m sure it was pretty close to that where you are at. Have a fun time and enjoy our weather! 🙂

lani
    January 21, 2013 at 11:24 pm

you guys should do a 2 hr drive south and visit sunny san diego! it’s a beautiful city with lots of beaches and a really calm pace. if not this time, you should definitely plan for it next time around 😉 have fun in CA!

michelle
    January 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Please Please Please stop by ‘Lette Macarons in Beverly Hills or Pasadena (near Burbank) THe best french macarons that blow Sprinkles out of the way. Also since your by the Grove check our Mendicino Farms for delicious anything but normal sandwhiches. Yelp both…..Im a LA native!

Noelle
    January 23, 2013 at 6:38 am

Awesome! Glad the both of you are having a blast.

I have been going to LA for 17 years now, almost every year. It is definitely my second home. 3 years ago I took my boyfriend along with me for the first time, and he loved it! So ever since, we went back every year. Last weekend we booked our trip to Chicago and LA for July/August. I am absolutely excited. Our hotel is right next to The Grove (my absolute favorite spot in LA!). I always stop by Sprinkles, Bev Center, Observatory, Universal Studios , ride along Mulholland and this year we will hike up Runyon Canyon! So exciting 🙂 Have so much fun!!

January 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

The Runyon Canyon hike is amazing! The best view ever!

Bette @ somerset lane
    January 23, 2013 at 8:50 am

I laughed out loud at you locking your car keys in the car. Sadly we’ve done it a time or two ourselves. (I’ve visiting from Bower Power) love your kitchen Reno. I’m off to look around the rest of your site.

Tiffany
    January 23, 2013 at 9:34 am

Hi! I just saw your gorgeous kitchen renovation on Bower Power and wanted to know where you purchased your spatula, whisk and rolling pin prints from? I love them!! Thank you!

January 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thank you! We designed them, you can find them in our store, Brown & Barkley. Just click the “Store” tab at the top of the page. Thanks again!

Laura
    January 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm

If you get to Santa Monica there is a cute French Cafe called Le Petit Cafe and it is delicousss! Also, I’d recommend Dukes in Malibu (especially for Sunday brunch)! It is also delicious and right on the ocean!

Enjoy California 🙂

January 23, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Hi! I’m also visiting from Bower Power. I’m an LA native, too. I actually used to work in Burbank – I love that downtown area.

If you have time you should hit one of our beaches! Take advantage of our warm weather. 9 times out of 10 I see dolphins pretty close to shore. There’s always Santa Monica!

Also, I LOVE your kitchen. Come over and help me with mine!!!

January 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Sounds like fun! We’re heading to Santa Monica next week! Can’t wait : )

Erin
    January 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hi! Came over from Bower Power! I can get lost in your blog for hours!! we have similar taste! I too was an advertising major and now do graphic design for a living. And I’ve loved I love Lucy as long as I can remember! one of my top favorite shows!!

You know have a new follower!

I don’t have a blog (yet) as my fiance and I have been house shopping for over a year with no luck.. But once I get a house I plan on starting one!!

Here’s my pinterest account if you’re interested in following along!

Have fun in Cali! My sister lives in West Hollywood, so I’m out there alot (I’m from Chicago). You should hit up The Hollywood Museum by Highland and Hollywood Blvd. They have a whole room dedicated to I Love Lucy!! http://www.thehollywoodmuseum.com

~ Erin

January 23, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Ohh, we’ll have to check that out!
      Glad you found us! : )

Erin
      January 23, 2013 at 9:17 pm

oh! One more place!! Neptune’s Net in Malibu. Best seafood around and you are right across from the ocean!!

Michelle O
    January 23, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Been following you for a couple months now. Congrats on your feature on Bower Power today!!

Hope you enjoyed the “Jessie” taping. It’s one of the shows that my daughter watches that I actually like. 🙂 I’m also a fan of classic tv. Especially Dick Van Dyke and I love Lucy!!

Christy
    January 23, 2013 at 11:34 pm

On your first photo above, Im so familiar to area because I live right south from LAX and by the beach but didnt see my house because it is out of picture. Glad to hear you love California. I’ve lived here for 40 years of my life and loving this weather but last two week has been COLDEST weather ever! You guys are lucky that you are here for warm weather!

January 23, 2013 at 11:37 pm

That’s so neat! Thank you for sharing California with us ; )

Amanda
    January 25, 2013 at 8:06 am

“Even though we’ll be enjoying a little R&R, we’re still going to be blogging as usual (Monday, Wednesday and Friday… and maybe a few bonus vacation-related posts here and there)”… I guess you got too caught up in the fun & sun to blog? 🙂

January 25, 2013 at 9:29 am

We had a post that we scheduled Word Press to automatically post for us on Wednesday morning but it didn’t happen and it looks like it “ate it”. We’re looking for it, so hopefully it will pop up soon : )