Guest Bedroom

WALKING THE PLANK

Truth be told, I get serious stage fright when it comes to talking about plans for a room before we’ve even started on it. Either I’m worried the “vision” isn’t thought out enough yet to declare it to the internet or I’m just plain scared to wear my “decorating heart” on my sleeve. That being the case, I just never do it. But today, in an effort to start talking about more of the “process” of what we do and why we do it, I’m breaking out of my comfort zone and just going to delve right in. Here goes nothing, haha…

As we mentioned in this post, tackling the guest room is on the to do list for the first part of this year. We have a vacation coming up in a few weeks, but when we get back, it’s game on in the guest room. Our first plan of action… a feature wall. Back in the day, I wrote a post about how I was loving planked walls (read that post here).

Planked Walls / 7th House on the Left

After showing Greg a bunch of photos online, he finally warmed up to the idea. Thank you, Pinterest! At first, we were thinking about doing a planked wall in the living room on the wall the TV is on. That wall being so big, we’re now thinking something like white built-ins would really brighten up the room and tie in with the white cabinetry in the kitchen. All of that is for another time and another post. In light of that, we thought a planked wall might make a bigger statement in a smaller room… like the guest room.

Guest Room / 7th House on the Left

I (now we) love the look of planked walls because it’s not too “country” but it still gives you a warm, cozy vibe – which is perfect for a guest room. If you love the planked wall movement, here’s some eye candy for you. Or… if you think we’re absolutely crazy, here’s some examples to try to win you over, haha. Either way, here are some walls we’re using as inspiration…

Planked Walls / 7th House on the Left

Houzz / Cape 27 / Better Homes & Gardens

From what we’ve read, the instillation process of a planked wall is pretty easy – not to mention affordable if you decide to use wood from old pallets. We’re pretty anxious to get started and excited about this room finally coming together. Hopefully it will act as a catalyst for the style in the rest of the house.

Now that we have the feature wall planned out, we have the rest of the room. We’re wanting to go with a “modern rustic” vibe – the same look we’re wanting to capture for the rest of the house as it evolves. We’re keeping all of the furniture that’s in the room now, except the chair in the corner and the rug (which we’re planning on Craigslisting as soon as “Operation Guest Room” begins). We’re not sure exactly how the room will end up in the end, but here’s what we’re loving now…

Modern Rustic Bedroom  /  7th House on the Left

Bed / Art / Chair / Floor Lamp
Pillow / Dresser / Rug / Zinc LettersPlanked Wall

Now for my brain dump… Obviously, the mood board isn’t complete, but it’s colorful, modern and rustic all balled up into one. The current blue wall color will have to change (or else it will end up looking like a circus), but the jury is still out on what color to go with. I think I changed out the rug on the mood board about 10 times. I finally narrowed it down to the one above or this one. The wall art is in the same “color family” as the rug, so even though it doesn’t have yellow in it, they still “go” together… and I’m kind of obsessed with it. The chair has been a favorite for a while, and I think it would really help bring home the “modern” part of rustic modern. It also has a little nod to mid-century which I will always have a special place in my heart for. The pillow in the chair is a little “rustic glam” (in person anyway), which I think might be cool to throw into the mix. Having a big, giant zinc letter somewhere in the room would be neat, and it would bring in something metallic for another texture. Maybe an “R” for “R & R”? The floor lamp is identical to the one we recently scored at Home Goods for $20 and ties in nicely with the bed. Hopefully it will help bring everything together. As for the bed, we think keeping all-white bedding would be fun, but adding some fun Dwell studio throw pillows would be even better. Now, how’s that for a brain dump?

So that’s where are minds are now as far as the guest room goes. Hopefully it makes sense and you all don’t think we’ve just lost our minds, haha. Have any of you tackled a planked wall before? Any tips or tricks to share?

First image from The Lettered Cottage.

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    January 9, 2013 at 10:44 am

Love this trend and I love your mood board! Can’t wait to see the progress!

Cassondra Wiebe
    January 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Loving that idea! Got to admit though, the other rug you linked is awesome, I hope you go with it!

Captain Micah
    January 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

We are going to do a plank wall on the fireplace! Small, so I bet we could do it with just a few pallets. Now…how to find some pallets!

I’m looking forward to your posts about the whole process. And your design is beautiful!

January 9, 2013 at 11:05 am

That sounds so pretty! You’ll have to share some photos with us when you’re done : )

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    January 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

Ohhhh love love love! Cant wait to see it!

Kate
    January 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

Love it! Are you going to go with the natural wood tones, or are you thinking of a more white-washed/gray scale look? Could really pop the iron bed!

January 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

Thanks! That’s actually still up in the air. Greg really likes the white-washed/gray and I kind of like the natural/medium tones – so we keep going back and forth, haha. I’ve seen some walls that have mostly natural boards with a few white-washed mixed in here and there, so we might play around with that too.

Kate
    January 9, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Oh that could be really cool. Can’t wait to see what you guys settle on!

January 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I’m so pumped to see how this turns out. We are about to tackle our bedroom and we are going to do a plank wall, but probably white. I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with for this room!

Ashley Summers
    January 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm

LOVE the pallet walls! We did a palletless pallet wall. I wanted to send a few pics so I sent them to the contact email with details I recently shared with a friend. There are also more pics on our “We Built It” pinterest board if you wanted to see more pics! You will not be disappointed with the impact of a wood wall – I promise!

January 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the link : )

Sheena
    January 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm

LOVE this post! I was going to do a pretty intense planked wall in our master bedroom. I started it. And then started to feel super overwhelmed. Instead, I saw your post, saw that first pic you posted, and now I want to do that instead! It’s way prettier, simple and lovely!

Love your blog too!

Nia C
    January 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I saw a planked wall on a tv show the other night and it really caught my eye! I’ll watch you do your’s first before we start ours. Ha! You seem to always do a great jobs on all your projects. Your guest room will be beautiful!

Rachel
    January 9, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I bought that exact West Elm rug for my living room and I absolutley love it! Especially because their rugs go on sale all the time, it turned out to be a pretty affordable option for an 8×10.

Meg
    January 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Hey Ashley, I love this trend. We did a plank wall in our tween boy’s room, using salvaged barn boards. I absolutely loved how the room turned out and so did my son. If you want to check it out, you can go here:

Elliott’s Room

Good luck with your wall – I’m looking forward to seeing the project!

January 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Love how that turned out! Thanks for the link : )

Colleen
    January 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I love the plank look, in both natural and white. I desperately want to do a wall – ANY WALL – in my house but it just doesn’t go with the feel of my home. I have a modern craftsman, and not a cool Portland type. Just a new house with really nice dark-stained woodwork, which makes it impossible to do any of the cool stuff. I know, love what you have. I want white trim so badly! Anyway – I can’t wait to see your project (while I dream about moving into a new house).

Missy G.
    January 9, 2013 at 7:51 pm

This comment has nothing to do with the planked wall (although I do love them!), but I just remembered that Jen from I Heart Organizing mentioned the other day that you are helping her with a rebranding thing. I absolutely love your work, and can’t wait to see what you do for her! Hope it opens lots of other doors/windows for you, too. 🙂

January 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Thank you so much! I had a lot of fun working with her, she’s great : )

Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms
    January 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I really like your “brain dump” as you call it. Way to go for jumping out of your comfort zone! I think it helps and inspires everyone! I love the planked wall but have never done one. Can’t wait to see it happen!

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    January 10, 2013 at 1:33 am

Love the look! I don’t think it would be terrible with the current blue, either.
    Check out Emily’s shiplap walls at merrypad.com for some tips on planked walls!

John @ Our Home from Scratch
    January 10, 2013 at 8:43 am

Brilliant idea. Every time I see a rustic plank wall, I love it. The wood pallet idea may work well too. You may also want to consider finding a lumber yard that carries reclaimed wood. If you don’t want it planed down and smooth, it may be cheap, since they don’t have to do much with it. Lumber yards are more likely to have those deeper wood tones you see in some of those pins. Pallet wood tends to be lighter. Either way, good luck! I can’t wait to what you go with. You guys have great taste.

January 10, 2013 at 9:22 am

Thanks! Great idea!!

Barb
    January 10, 2013 at 11:53 am

Don’t do it!

Like you said…trendy! It will be dated before you blink.

Don’t do it!!!

Erin M
    January 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I LOVE THIS! Your mood board, the planks, everything!
    Can’t wait to see how the room turns out <3

Jessica
    January 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I think I have most of these images pinned too! I really, really love a planked wall. That Lettered Cottage image just makes me swoon. We’re building a home that will be ready this morning and I have a huge list of planking/paneling projects planned around the home.

My husband (always the voice of reason) keeps asking – are you sure that planking is not going to look dated when we go to sell? Like, “Oh, that’s so 2012/2013”.

Part of me is screaming – I don’t care, I want it! And the other part of me is thinking, huh – maybe he’s right?

Have you had any of those concerns???

for the record – I vote GO FOR IT. I seriously love the look and I’m sure it will look amazing in your home!!

January 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Greg had the same concerns (also always the voice of reason, haha) but I finally convinced him that the boards will only be attached with a screw here and there – making it pretty easy to take down when we decide to. Sure, there will be a bunch of holes, but that’s noting some putty and paint can fix : )

Chelsa Johnson
    January 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I recently read your guest post on iheart organizing. Can you tell me the paint color that is in your office? Love it and am in the process of making my office over.
    Thanks

January 10, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Glad you found us : ) My office is Slate by Restoration Hardware. Happy painting!

Jessica
    January 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm

HA! Just realized I said we’re building a house that will be ready “this morning”… wishful thinking I suppose? this SUMMER! But just coming back to say a big thanks for responding… great point about it being a fairly easy fix up! I can’t wait to see how yours comes out!

Kasey
    January 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I love following your blog. It gets my creative juices flowing. Where do you create your mood boards? I have been wanting to start one, but do not know of a site/program that does this.

January 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Thanks so much! We use a mixture of Photoshop and Illustrator (though it can be easily done in Photoshop alone). But if you don’t have access to either of those, check out Olioboard or Polyvore. I’ve heard they are really easy to figure out. Hope that helps!!

Jessie @ Cape 27
    January 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thanks for the mention, Ash! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

January 10, 2013 at 9:23 pm

No problem! LOVE your pallet wall!

Amy
    January 10, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Love planked walls! We have a planked wall in one if the bedrooms. It was there when we moved in (score!) so I don’t have any advice for installing but I can tell you that it looks amazing!

Crystal
    January 11, 2013 at 7:08 am

Saw your office post over on iheartorganizing! Love it! I’m a big fan of the plank look as well. I’ve painted my fair share of vertical wood paneling. Would love to install a horizontal wood plank wall. Have you seen the Lucky 7 art from Target? Made me think of you guys 🙂

January 11, 2013 at 9:24 am

No, I haven’t! Need to check it out!

Crystal
      January 12, 2013 at 6:59 am

Here’s the link:
      Another option in pink and gray. They have several cool typography prints which are pretty cool and in great Target fashion – pretty cheap!

January 12, 2013 at 8:42 am

Great to know! Thanks for the link : )

carole
    January 11, 2013 at 11:34 am

i think the idea and look is great but it’s more for a cottage/beach home. think of re-sale. it’ll look dated soon. i generally love all of your decorating ideas however, not loving this one, sorry.

January 11, 2013 at 11:40 am

That was a concern of Greg’s at first but we untimely came to the conclusion that if it gets outdated (or we decide to sell), it will be really easy to take down because the boards will only be attached with a few screws (nothing ultra permanent or damaging like glue). Obviously, there will be a bunch of holes, but that’s something an afternoon with some putty and paint can fix.

Leanne Wight
    January 12, 2013 at 10:58 am

Love the mood board! So pretty. I would go with the West Elm rug in the post instead of the other one from Rugs Direct, but either way, I’m sure the room will turn out beautifully. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Thomas
    January 17, 2013 at 6:56 pm

This is great, and the color scheme is gender-neutral enough to suite me. My wife has been trying to convince me the plank wall would work out well for our guest room. Now that I’ve seen your plans, she may win this debate after all. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

vendita quadri
    January 18, 2013 at 4:21 am

Looove the wood/ pallet thing wall! Great idea!

Kim L.
    January 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I like the look of the wood walls. It gives it a very rustic/country style. Also thumbs up on your choice of colors. It all goes well together.

Allison
    March 4, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if you could give some thoughts about paint color? I love this pallet and have a similar theme (as your mood board) but am struggling with paint!. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I love your blog!

Allison

March 6, 2013 at 12:00 am

We actually haven’t nailed down a paint color yet, but we’re thinking about a very light gray – maybe Martha Stewart’s Nimbus Cloud. We’ll be sure to post the details when we decide : )

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating
    March 8, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I love plank walls too, as a way to add dimension and interest to an otherwise bland space.

Loving the colorful abstract art you featured in your mood board too. It, and its coordinating partner, were in my online shopping cart when I was shopping for my brother and his wife for Xmas. I ended up going with something else, but I think I have them pinned to my Art Inspiration board on Pinterest.