Recipes

WINTER BRUNCH RECIPES

Baby It's Cold Outside Brunch /  7th House on the Left

We’re back to share the recipes for some of the menu items we had at our “Baby It’s Cold Outside” brunch. If you missed it, you can check out all the details in this post. Without further ado, the recipes…

Breakfast Casserole / 7th House on the Left

Breakfast Casserole is our family’s “thing”. Christmas morning, birthday breakfasts, when we have people staying with us overnight.. there will be a breakfast casserole (or two) on the table. It’s the breakfast of champions, a total crowd pleaser and oh so easy to make! Like, totally, freakishly easy.

1 Pound Sausage
3 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
6 Eggs (5 if using extra large eggs)
6 Slices White Bread
2 Cups Milk
1 Teaspoon of Dry Mustard

Brown sausage, set aside and let cool. Beat eggs and mix in dry mustard. (I always like to combine these two steps to make sure the dry mustard gets mixed in really well.) Add milk and 2 cups of the cheese. Cut bread into half-inch cubes and add to mixture along with the cooked sausage. Put mixture in a 9×13 greased pan. Put in a cold oven on 350° for 1 hour and top with the rest of the cheddar cheese.. This is a great dish to make the night before (or even two nights before). If you want to make individual ramekins like we did for the brunch, just make sure you have equal amounts of sausage and bread and each ramekin. Also, bake them in a water bath to ensure they cook evenly.

Cream Cheese Fruit Dip / 7th House on the Left

My grandma started using this fruit dip concoction when I was a little girl and it’s always been one of my favorite things to mix together for a special treat. Oddly enough, I’ve never been a Marshmallow Fluff fan, and it’s one of the two ingredients. You can’t go wrong with cream cheese, though, right?! Right.

1, 7 oz container of Marshmallow Fluff (or Marshmallow Creme)
1, 8 oz package of Cream Cheese (room temperature)

Mix. That’s it. It’s so, so yummy – particularly with strawberries and bananas. Oh, and raspberries too. Actually, it’s good with pretty much anything. Including a spoon. haha!

Sweet Potato Biscuits / 7th House on the Left

Alone with a pat of butter or made into tiny sandwiches with a few slices of salty ham, these moist little sweet pockets of goodness are the bomb dot com. My mom usually cooks a bunch of batches around Christmas, puts them in large freezer bags, and freezes them. When you pull one out of the freezer and heat it up for a few minutes (or seconds if you’re using a microwave), it miraculously tastes just as good as when they came out of the oven.

2 3/4 Cup Flour
4 Tsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
3/4 Cup Chopped Pecans
2 Cups Mashed Sweet Potatoes (about 2 potatoes)
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla

Bake sweet potatoes in a 400° oven until they are good and mushy inside, mash and set aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and nuts. In another bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, butter and vanilla; add flour and mixture and mix well. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead slightly. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Place uncooked biscuits about 2 inches apart from each other. (We like to place a few extra pecans on top of each one to make them look pretty.) Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until golden brown. They won’t rise much, so don’t freak out that they aren’t turning out right – they’re fine! This makes about 18 to 24 biscuits.

Breakfast Snowmen / 7th House on the Left

Aren’t these little guys so stinking cute?! I guess you could say these are the Christmas version of our Little Gobblers. My mom made these for my brother’s and my school classes when we were little, and they were always a hit.

Powdered Doughnut Holes (Dunkin Donuts’ Munchkins)
Powdered Sweet Sixteen Donuts
Powdered Doughnuts (Entenmann’s are the perfect size)
Small Pretzel Sticks
Black Decorating Icing (not the gel kind)
Orange Decorating Icing (again, not gel)
Chocolate Cookie Icing
Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers (in the ice cream section)
Chocolate Cordial Cherries (Queen Anne)
Toothpicks

Stack the doughnuts to make the body of the snowman and use toothpicks to hold them together. Place a bit of chocolate cookie icing on top of the head to hold the chocolate wafer in place. If the top of the doughnut hole is too round, just use a small pairing knife to level it out so the wafer sits flat. Use a bit of the chocolate cookie icing to “glue” the chocolate cordial cherries (top of the hat) to the wafer (brim of the hat). Push the pretzel sticks into the middle doughnut for the stick arms and use the icing for the face and buttons. Ta da! You have the cutest little donuts ever.

Sausage Balls / 7th House on the Left

There’s a 99.9% chance that if you come around our house anytime around Thanksgiving or Christmas, you’ll be given some of these little bad boys. They are so, so good – especially with a ice cold Diet Coke and some honey mustard.

1 Pound Spicy Sausage (we prefer Jimmy Dean around here)
2 Cups Bisquick
3 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3/4 Cup Water
2 Tsp Salt

Mix all of the ingredients, form into balls and place them on a cookie sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray. So easy! Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until brown. This recipe makes about 30 sausage balls. Don’t forget the honey mustard. We’ve found that either Ken’s or O’Charley’s Honey Mustard are the best. The sausage balls taste amazing right out of the oven. Store the left overs (if there are any!) in the fridge. Just like the sweet potato biscuits, these freeze really well. To reheat, put them in the oven at 200° for about 10-15 minutes, or pop a couple in the microwave for about 15 seconds.

Cheese Grits Shooters / 7th House on the Left

You can’t have a brunch with comfort food without grits – here in Virginia anyway. For a little twist, we made individual servings by putting them into small juice glasses (I found them at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $1.50 a piece). Grits are yummy, but they are so much more yummy if you tweak the directions a bit. Here’s how we did it…

Quick 5-Minute Grits
Whole Milk
– OR –
A 50/50 mixture of Skim Milk and Heavy Cream
Butter
Salt
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Prep the grits as directed but substitute whole milk (or half skim milk and half heavy cream) for the water and use more butter than the directions say. If you are making a large batch, you can totally get by with using double the butter (I didn’t say these were “healthy grits”, haha). Salt to taste and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    January 2, 2013 at 11:08 am

I am sooo hungry now!!! I can’t wait to try those sausage balls 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Alexa @ travelmiamor
    January 2, 2013 at 11:41 am

your display was AMAZING! So cute! I Pined it right away and had like 7 people repin!

Ammy Belle
    January 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Wonderful ideas! You guys are so creative! I just love the way you laid it all out too! Hope you had wonderful holidays! 🙂

Amy
    January 2, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Yum!! Quick suggestion- try the marshmallow dip with fresh pineapple, if you like it. We did a casino night for my dad’s 60th and this is what I did for dessert in addition to cake. I skewered pineapple, strawberries and grapes to go with the dip. DE-Lish!

January 2, 2013 at 2:40 pm

That sounds so good! Will definitely have to try that!

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    January 3, 2013 at 8:56 am

Great recipes! I have to say, that cream cheese fruit dip is the easiest thing in the world and it’s so awesomely good!! I could just eat a bowl of that without the fruit!

harlie
    January 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these recipes!

Kiki
    January 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I loved all of these recipe ideas! And I really, really, really loved all of the decorating ideas you posted for this party, too. Great work and thanks again!

Christina M
    January 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Ashley,

Thanks so much for all the recipes and your post about the brunch! I am hosting a bridal show brunch in the next few months. These will come in very handy!

Debbie
    January 18, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Quick question about the breakfast casserole. . . Does the rest of the cheddar get added before or after baking? Thanks, hoping to try this tomorrow!

January 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm

The rest goes on after baking and melts on top. You’ll LOVE it! : )

Rhoni
    March 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm

SO cute! I have made that marshmallow/ cream cheese dip for years! Try it with peanut butter and green apples… the BEST snack ever!

Melody
    April 11, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I have a question about the Sausage balls. Do I need to cook the sausage before mixing with the other ingredients?

April 11, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Nope, you mix it all together while it’s still raw, then cook. They’re so yummy!

Mitzi
    April 18, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I’ve never made breakfast casserole but want to do it in the ramekins like you did. Do you bake at same temperature and time as if it were in a 9×13 pan? And what is a water bath? And I can put it all together in the dishes the night before and just bake in the morning right?

Thanks for your help!

April 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Yes on the temp. Maybe on the time. For us, it was about 45 minutes, but that will depend on your oven. Just keep an eye on them and take them out once the egg sets. For the water bath, we put the ramekins in a 2(ish”) deep pan and poured water around them. This helps the heat distribute evenly. Sometimes when the mixture settles overnight, it separates a bit. For that reason, I store it in a bowl then put the mixture in the individual ramekins when you’re ready to bake. Hope that helps!

Mitzi
      April 19, 2013 at 9:33 am

That helps alot thanks. One last question – about how many did your recipe make? And what size ramekins did you use?

Thanks – you’re great!

April 19, 2013 at 10:13 am

I was able to fill 12, 3oz ramekins (these: http://bit.ly/15rsRBK) and have enough left over to make a small casserole for extras (it’s solo good heated up the day after).

Julia
    October 16, 2013 at 6:58 am

Very cute decorating and serving ideas and yummy sounding recipes.
    Since you have sausage balls and ham biscuits, I would probably use either bacon and/or veggies (mushrooms, onion, bell pepper) in the egg casserole.
    How did you keep hot foods hot, especially the french toast sticks (cute presentation), on the buffet table?
    Those donut snowmwn are adorable!
    Have you ever tried using brown sugar for some or all lf the sugar in the sweet potato biscuits?I think it would taste good, but I don’t know if it would change the texture of them. I know brown sugar makes softer cookies than white sugar.
    thank you for sharing your recipes, serving, and decroating tips!

October 16, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks! We had all of the serving pieces laid out in advance and when it was time to eat, we put everything in their place quickly so it was hot when people ate. Pretty much everything (even the French Toast) still tasted good at room temperature, so we were good to go. TH\he only thing we really tried to keep warm until it was time to eat were the grits and breakfast casseroles – both of which were gone right when we put them out, so we didn’t have to worry about keeping them warm on the table.

I’ve never tried using brown sugar for the sweet potato biscuits. They’re so good they way they are, I’m afraid to mess with the recipe, haha.

Jay
    December 23, 2013 at 1:25 am

Hello!

Quick question on the biscuits. Is it 1/2 cup of butter then you melt it or a 1/2 cup of melted butter? Thanks!

December 31, 2013 at 6:58 pm

1/2 cup of butter then you melt it : )

Sue
    July 26, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Please give me more reciepes .

Ronnie
    December 20, 2015 at 11:09 am

I made the sausage balls fora bridal showrr. They got rave reviews. Thanks for sharing!

January 4, 2016 at 9:19 am