We haven’t done a Mad About Hue post in a while (actually, since our inaugural sunshine yellow edition), but since Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, I thought it would be fun to put together a candy apple red edition. My senior project in college was a study on colors, and ever since, I’ve been really interested in the meanings and psychological effects of colors. Being an interior design enthusiast, this makes things even more fun, because if chosen carefully, the colors in a room can completely determine the overall mood.
Red, being the highest arch of the rainbow, can make a huge impact on a room’s decor – even if it’s just a touch here or there. Studies have shown that the color red encourages action and willpower – possibly making it a nice color to use in a home office if you need a little motivation to get the ball rolling on projects. (If you’re a high stress personality, though, you should know it can also cause an increase in blood pressure!) Here are a few other fun facts about red:
- Red (followed by pink) is the color most commonly associated with love and is the symbolic color of the heart.
- In graphic design, red is commonly used to attract people’s attention – especially for logos. Think Verizon, Coca-Cola, Chick-Fil-A, Red Bull, Canon, CNN, etc.
- Red can make you hungry – meaning it’s good for a kitchen. Or not, depending on the type of food you’re craving. Haha!
- In Russia, the word for red, Кра́сный, comes from the same root as the word for “beautiful”.
- There are at least 23 shades of red Crayons.
- The color red actually doesn’t make bulls mad… they’re color blind.
A pop of red in a room can go a long way in the statement department. If you’re looking to add a pop of red to your home, here are some of my favorite pieces…
Red is a great color for drawing attention to an area of your home or making a statement in an otherwise unassuming color palette. Using it smartly can completely change the look and feel of entire areas, and knowing how it can affect you can really help you find the perfect place for it.
Happy Valentine’s Day!