His + Her Favorite Things

HIS + HER FAVORITE THINGS

After Ash and I got back from vacation a little over a month ago, we got sucked into a major “let’s-do-take-out rut”. Outback and Cracker Barrel being our go-to dinner of choice, we were so busy with work and everyday things that we didn’t really take time out to plan a menu every week, do “serious” grocery shopping or cook. After a few weeks of this, we realized it was high time to put away the take-out menus and get out the pots and pans. Not only is cooking at home a lot cheaper and healthier, it’s also a fun thing to do together.

Since we’ve been spending more time in the kitchen over the last few weeks, we thought it would be fun to bring a “kitchen edition” to the table. So, without further ado, here’s a round up of our personal favorite kitchen tools we love and use…

His Favorite Things: Kitchen EditionONE // Cuisinart CrockPot – Being that our schedules are still really busy, we’ve been trying to find easier, faster ways to cook. The crockpot is a great way to do it, and some seriously awesome stuff happens in there (Taco Soup FTW). TWO // Commercial Salt / Pepper Shakers – Ashley’s mom has a set of these, and I absolutely love to use them, so we had to buy some ourselves. They’re great for seasoning large dishes. THREE // Pancake Spatula – I’m the Pancake King in our house. In other words, I make the pancakes. I like to make plate-sized pancakes, but normal spatulas just don’t cut it. Fortunately, this one gives your huge pancakes the side support they need for proper flipping. FOUR // Cuisinart Coffee Maker – This is one of the most essential items in our kitchen. With the hot water dispenser on the right, it’s a great multi-tasker, too. FIVE // PalmPeeler – Ash bought one of these when we were prepping for Thanksgiving dinner (there were a lot of potatoes to peel), and it has been a staple in our kitchen toolbox ever since. The ergonomic shape makes the peeling process just seem faster and easier. SIX // Rubbermaid Premier Food Storage – Of course, with cooking comes leftovers. These stackable containers are great for the fridge, but they also snap together for easy transport to the office. (I love leftovers for lunch!)

Her Favorite Things: Kitchen Edition

ONE // Amaryllis Spoon Rest – I never realized how useful a spoon rest was until I started using one. Like my grandma pointed out, you could just use a plate instead of buying one… but this ons is a lot cuter. TWO // KitchenAid Hand Mixer – This mixer is great for times when I don’t want to use the big stand mixer – like last night when I mixed up the mashed cauliflower. And, obviously, I love the color. THREE // Batter Bowl – This is easily one of my favorite things to use in the kitchen. It’s super light, has a handy rubber bottom, durable and dishwasher safe. I love it so much, I want to buy a backup just in case something happens to this one. FOUR // Mini Ramekins –  We don’t just use these for baking. They’re perfect for single servings of snacks like salsa and humus. FIVE //  Rachel Ray Stainless Steel Cookware – We’ve had a cookware set like this since we’ve been married (they don’t carry it anymore, but the link it to something similar) and we absolutely love it. I love the comfy red silicone handles, and every piece still looks as new as the day we bought it. SIX // Utensil Holder – Like the spoon rest, I didn’t think a utensil holder would be as useful as it is. It’s so helpful to be able to pull out a spoon when you need one. It also frees up valuable drawer space around the stove.

So, how about you guys… Any favorite kitchen gadgets we need to know about?

Are you getting geared up for Easter weekend?! As for our plans, we’re hosting Easter lunch here this year (and yes, cooking every bit of it, haha!). Time sort of got away from me, so I’m going to be trying to come up with a cute Easter table on the cuff. Here’s hoping!

Oh, one more thing! I don’t know if any of you guys get the MeTV channel, but it’s one of our favorite channels around here. They air classic TV shows 24/7, including our favorites, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy and Donna Reed (with the exception of Saturday mornings, when they air the oddest children’s programs ever). On Sunday starting at 3:00 EST, they’re doing an entire marathon of classic TV episodes about decorating – including the Mary Tyler Moore Show episode when Rhoda redecorates Lou’s living room. Hilarious! Last night, I saw a commercial for the marathon and thought it might be something our classic-tv-home-design-loving readers would want to jump in on. We’ll be busy with Easter festivities, but the TiVo will get getting a workout!

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    March 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

I NEED the turquoise mixers! Like right now!

March 29, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I adore my potato ricer (I got it for a steal at Ikea)- perfect consistency mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes EVERY time. Plus it cuts out the task of peeling! And we cook just about everything in our Le Creuset grill pan and fry pans.

Lori H
    March 29, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on MeTV. I didn’t know it existed! I love all those classic shows.

Paula
    March 29, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I have that exact coffeemaker and I LOVE it

Kate
    March 29, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I swear by my dough scraper (http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-289637/Sur-La-Table-Stainless-Steel-Dough-Scraper) during holiday cookie season. Makes getting sugar cookies off the counter in one peice so much easier.

Jenny
    March 29, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Two of my favorite kitchen items are my mini blender to make individual smoothies and shakes and my crock pot. I love having a hot meal ready at the end of a day.

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    March 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

My man is forever grateful for the potato peeler tip!!!!

Kerri
    March 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’d have to say our favorite kitchen “gadget” is our food processor. I never thought about getting one but now that we have it – we used it multiple times a week! Cuts everything so fast and clean up is a snap 🙂

Megan
    March 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm

LOVE white ramekins…and your kitchen is so beautiful. like beyond beautiful. job VERY well done!! xx.

March 29, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Thanks so much!!

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    March 29, 2013 at 8:24 pm

That teal mixer is to die for! LOVE! Have a great Easter, guys!!

~Abby =)

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating
    March 30, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I love having my most-used utensils right next to the stove in a crock. Much better than digging around in a drawer!

About a year ago I started a post about our favorite kitchen products, meant for people who are just starting to collect good kitchen tools. It would be helpful for people registering for a wedding, because I also listed the tools you think you will need but really don’t. This is a good reminder to pull that post out of my drafts folder and finish it up!

March 30, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Oh my goodness, the things I had on our registry at first! …things I would never use now. Luckily, my mom talked some sense into me and I was able to change a lot before the shower invites went out, haha!

Amanda
    March 30, 2013 at 6:49 pm

As always, I love me a good His & Her post. This one was of course, just as love-able as the rest of them. Hrm, kitchen gadgets I love? Silicone pastry brush; I have 3! THREE just for me. Especially in the summer time when BBQ is all I seem to do. I love my slow cooker as well, but I never seem to use it because I can’t find any good recipes (they’re all so complicated & loaded with ingredients; any tips?).

March 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Greg actually wanted to put a silicone brush on his list but there wasn’t room! Those things rock – and so easy to clean!

March 30, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Oh, crock pot recipes! Around here, we love, love, love Taco Soup. We got the recipe from The Lettered Cottage. It’s so yummy!

Erin
    March 31, 2013 at 6:25 am

Love this post, love kitchen gadgets, and get lots of use out of some of these same things – particularly the Cuisinart crock pot and KitchenAid hand mixer (love the color of yours!)

Some other go-tos in our house are the Le Creuset Dutch oven, a Microplane grater, and a set of ceramic stacking bowls from Crate and Barrel (similar to the Market ones they sell now) that are fantastic for prep and serving.

Elisa
    March 31, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I have been eyeing that mixing bowl! Do you use your hand mixer in the bowl? I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s safe or if the beaters will chip the bowl.

April 1, 2013 at 8:26 am

Yep! I’ve used the mixer in the bowl, many times, and no scratches yet.

Joe Curry
    April 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm

#5 on Greg’s list looked a’peel’ing (Sorry couldn’t help it!). I picked up the PalmPeeler this weekend while I was shopping for kitchen gadgets. I didn’t find the pancake spatula, but I now see your link leads the way. 🙂