Foyer + Hallway

SHEDDING SOME LIGHT

foyerlighting

This is going to be one of those “brain dump” posts. Are ya’ll cool with that? Good deal. Here we go… So, we have a plan in action for the guest room, an idea up our sleeves for my office and even a declaration to organize every nook and cranny of the house. But that all doesn’t mean we’re not working on other things, as well. Yeah, we’re jumping around from project to project like a hyperactive squirrel with multiple personality disorder. Today, I’m jumping on yet another area of the house: the foyer. Ever since the sad day when it was time to take down the junk tree, the foyer has been sad, empty and well… you open the front door and this is what you see…

Foyer / 7th House on the Left

Yeah, a whole lot of nothing. Except for a dashing little dog that thinks he’s a Doberman. It’s basically just a passageway between the bedrooms and the other end of the house. As a part of the Target Inner Circle (more on that here), Target is hooking us up with a little foyer design chat with one of our favorite designers. We get to pick their brain, ask questions and get advice on a few things that have been running around in our heads. But, more on that later! Before all of that gets underway, we’re on the hunt for a new foyer light. Right now, all we have is a standard, ho hum flush mount light. We think that by adding a pendant light to the space, this will define the foyer as just that and fancy things up a bit.

So, we’re on the hunt for something small to medium in size (the foyer is small and can’t handle a huge pendant), no more than 15″ tall (with a little wiggle room), and “modern rustic” in style. Here are the lighting options on our short list…

Foyer Lighting / 7th House on the Left

1. Abbot Pendant ($795) 2. Honeycomb Chandelier ($169) 3. Marmont Pendant ($275) 4. Olivia Star Pendant ($149) 5. Seeded Honeycomb Pendant ($119)

Update: Since writing this post just last night, we went ahead and decided on (and ordered!) the Olivia Star Pendant. We thought it would go really well with the chandelier we have waiting in the wings (still in the box) to go over the dining room table (this one from Ballard), which is only a few feet away from the foyer. We’re so excited to have it shipped in just a few days and get it hung – hopefully the snow doesn’t slow it down!

Mary
    March 6, 2013 at 9:13 am

LOVE the last two…now you have me deciding where I could use a new light! Can’t wait to see how the one you picked works out.

Sara M
    March 6, 2013 at 9:34 am

I really like the one you bought, that was my favorite! Can’t wait to hear who the designer is you get to work with. I’m guessing Nate Berkus!

Leah
    March 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

The light you picked out is great and very “modern rustic”. I’ve seen it in a few foyers on Pinterest and love the look!

Sarah M. Dorsey
    March 6, 2013 at 11:24 am

Love your choice! πŸ™‚

Carrie Keeley
    March 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm

That would have been my choice, too. Any would be fine except #2. That thing is just going to be a cobweb builder.

Sara Miller
    March 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I love that light fixture! I have been eyeing that one as well to put up in our foyer; can’t wait to see pics!

Carrie
    March 6, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I like the star a lot, but LOVE the Seeded Honeycomb! I vote that if the star doesn’t work out, you go with #5 πŸ˜‰ I love Carrie’s comment about the Honeycomb chandelier. It would be a dust magnet, something I would never have considered.

Dani
    March 6, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Love the light you chose! We have the same issue. Is it easy to change a flush mount fixture to a hanging pendant, or would that be something our electrician should do? Thanks!!

March 6, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Well, I guess we’re getting ready to find out, haha. We’ll be sure to share the process!

Connie Grimes
    March 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Of course, I loved the first one, but it was so much more expensive that I would’ve gone with #5 which is similar and much lower priced. I like the Star one you picked too, it was my 3rd favorite. Excited to see how it looks.

DIY Playbook
    March 6, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I’m so glad you’re sharing your light fixture options in this post. We are in the process of finding new fixtures and I know I can always count on your style to help inspire me!! Whether it’s lighting, styling, painting or general DIY-ing, your style is spot on fabulous. Thanks for sharing and always inspiring me to create a space that I love. =)

March 6, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Thanks so much! That made my day : )

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    March 6, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Such a fun group of lights! I think the one you chose will really liven up the space. Thanks for sharing your “brain dump” with us! πŸ˜‰

~Abby =)

Holly
    March 7, 2013 at 1:59 pm

We have the Olivia in our foyer and love it. In fact, we just moved and I made DH remove it from our old home and reinstall it in our “forever” home. πŸ™‚

Thomas B.
    March 8, 2013 at 6:50 am

I’d personally pick #1. Quite expensive though, but it does look great as it matches the relative simplicity of the corridor. Well, #4 is still a great choice. Hope you guys post an update with the Star hanging up your foyer ceiling soon.