DIY Decor Foyer + Hallway Stuff We Bought

DIY CUSTOM LAMPSHADE

showercurtainlampshade1

For the past few weeks, we’ve been on the hunt for a lamp for the new foyer table. Everything we found was either too small, not the right material, or not the style we were looking for. I was laying in bed the other night, going through old photos on my cell phone when I stumbled on this photo of a lamp I spotted at Tuesday Morning way back in August

Tuesday Morning Find / 7th House on the Left

Yeah, I take photos while I shop. I’m weird like that. The shade wouldn’t have worked for our style, but the base was to die for. It was big, chunky, looked kind of like reclaimed wood (my favorite material of all time), and was the perfect color. In other words, it was my dream lamp. Knowing things come and go through Tuesday Morning every week (just like Home Goods and TJ Maxx), I knew there was no possible way they would still have it almost eight months later. All hope was lost on the lamp of my dreams. Lesson officially learned.

The day after I found the photo, Greg and I were out running some errands and decided to stop by Tuesday Morning to have a look around. Having had my oh-my-goodness-I-should-have-bought-that-lamp meltdown the night before, I made a beeline to the lamps section. Nothing really caught my eye but just as I was about to walk away, all the way in the back of the top shelf… THE lamp. I was in total disbelief and pretty much squealed like a 13-year-old on the front row at a One Direction concert. To make the find even sweeter, the lamp was originally $199, marked down to $150, then down to $95, then down to $65. That’s when the Hallelujah Chorus started playing.

Tuesday Morning Find / 7th House on the Left

When we got out to the car, I texted this photo of Greg holding the lamp in the air to my mom (who shares my love for interior design and good finds). Needless to say, Greg and I were two happy campers.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

As soon as we got home, we sat her on the foyer table and switched out the lamp shade for a simple white drum shade (from Target). Even though the white drum shade was the right shape and looked better than the “leafy” one that came on it, it didn’t have the razzle dazzle we were looking for. We shopped around for colorful lamp shades, but everything we found was either the wrong size or shape. That’s when it dawned on me… make one!

Make a Custom Lamp Shade with a Shower Curtain / 7th House on the Left

I remembered seeing this awesomeΒ Ikat shower curtain from Target’s Threshold lineΒ (who, by the way, has really been hitting it out of the park lately!). I absolutely loved it, but we didn’t have need for a new shower curtain. My next thought was it would make great fabric for curtains or even throw pillows or… why not a lamp shade? It had to be done.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

Because this particular shade isn’t tapered (the sides are completely straight), I didn’t have to worry about tracing the fabric perfectly to the shape of the shade. All I had to do was make sure the piece was about an inch and a half taller than the shade on both sides.

penmarkDIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

I left the shower curtain folded and marked the cut line with a fine point Sharpie. Then I cut the curtain while it was still folded. Leaving it folded made the cutting process a lot faster, less cumbersome and I only had to draw one short, straight line. There were a few little jagged edges here and there, but that didn’t matter because it would be on the inside of the shade.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

The fabric had a few creases from being folded on the shelf, so I ran an iron over it a few times. I learned later that this step was so, so, so important. If you have crisp, flat fabric, it will make the process of applying the fabric to the shade much easier. After it was ironed, I cut the fabric to the length I needed for it to go around the shade once, plus an inch of overlap at the end.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

In comes the Tacky Spray. I’ve never used this stuff before, so I was kind of very nervous about how I’d actually go about getting the fabric on the shade without any creases, wrinkles or glue puddles. Not wanting to get a fine mist of glue all over the kitchen, we took it outdoors and sprayed the outside of the lamp shade. And boy are we glad we did. It even made Greg’s shirt and arms a bit tacky (luckily, it washed right off!). After the shade was covered, we rushed it back in the kitchen to work on the clean, smooth countertop. The next part of the process had to happen fast. It took four hands, too, so in lieu of a photo, I drew up a little diagram…

DIY Custom Lampshade / 7th House on the Left

Greg stood on one side of the kitchen peninsula and pulled the shower curtain fabric toward him, keeping it tight and straight. I pulled the other end of the fabric toward me and pressed the fabric on the shade as I rolled it toward Greg, while making sure I kept the fabric really taught and rubbing out any folds or bubbles along the way. I also made sure the finished edge ended up on the top to give the back of the shade a nice, professional, finished look.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

After the shade was completely covered with fabric, we let it sit for about 10 minutes to give the glue a chance to settle. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to move the fabric when I went to fold down the edges.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

When it came to the edges, Greg ran outside to spray a bit more of the glue along the inside edges of the shade and brought it back in for me to work on. Then, I simply pulled the excess fabric up and over the edge of the shade. Luckily, the Tacky Spray was pretty forgiving. If I didn’t pull the fabric quite taught enough, I was able to pull it back up and over the edge again, to make sure it was good and tight.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

When I got to the metal frame, I cut a small slit in the fabric, a few centimeters from the edge, and folded it around the wire. A fold here, a fold there, and…

DIY Custom Lamp Shade / 7th House on the Left

Ta da!!! Now, that’s a nice looking lamp if I do say so myself. I’m completely, head over heals in love with it.

DIY Custom Lamp Shade... Made from a Shower Curtain! / 7th House on the Left

So, thank you, Target for making ultra awesome shower curtains.Β Not only is the design awesome, the stiffness of the shower curtain fabric came in handy during the whole process. So, in my opinion, if you’re looking to cover a lampshade with fabric, I highly recommend shower curtains, haha.

DIY Lamp Makeover / 7th House on the Left

We’re both really, really happy with how it turned out, and I love the look on people’s faces when I tell them the shade was covered with a shower curtain. Greg, who was completely skeptical about this to begin with,Β is a typical guy when it comes to decorating most of the time. But almost every time he walks through the foyer, he says something like, “That really does look good!”. That’s an A+ in my book!

Meg
    April 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

Looks great, Ashley! I love the little bit of pattern it adds – and I’m always a fan of re-purposing something!

Greta @ Project Momma
    April 3, 2013 at 10:09 am

That. looks. AWESOME. Oh my gosh I want to make a lampshade right now! Thanks for the inspiration. I cannot wait to see your whole foyer πŸ™‚

Nicole
    April 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

THIS is genius! I can’t get over how great and non-DIY that looks. I need to go to Target, like now!

Beth S
    April 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

Seriously!? Could this be anymore clever!? I love the look and can’t wait to see the rest of the foyer!

Beth @ BandBBuildALife.com
    April 3, 2013 at 10:28 am

Ahhh I love it! The chunky wood with the colors! I’m a sucker for blues and greens and this just takes the cake! Great job!

Casey @ Waffling
    April 3, 2013 at 10:34 am

Looks great! I much prefer your shade to the original (unless the lamp was for some sort of luau πŸ˜‰ ).

Ashley @GirlyObsessions
    April 3, 2013 at 11:01 am

I love it!! It looks great! Spray mount/glue brings me back to my design school days. My dining room walls and carpet were pretty much covered in a film of dried spray glue. But I was in Syracuse where the weather is never really good enough to go outside and spray stuff!

But, really good use of a shower curtain on this one!! Love the modern rustic look!

April 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

Haha! Thanks, Ashley!

Christina @ Homemade Ocean
    April 3, 2013 at 11:06 am

I love this project! Especially since I see a ton of adorable shower curtains that I have no need for and an abundance of pillows. Now I have an excuse to buy those cute shower curtains….I just need a lamp!

Alexa @ travelmiamor
    April 3, 2013 at 11:18 am

Awesome!

Tara W
    April 3, 2013 at 11:50 am

Well done, guys! I’m always taken back at your choices in decor. You aren’t afraid to take chances and the end product(s) ALWAYS look amazing. That’s why people like me need to follow people like you:)

Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms
    April 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Oh I love this!! I might have to go scoop up that shower curtain immediately!!

Courtney
    April 3, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I love ideas on how to make your own things so the whole room can match and you dont have to hunt around!

Sarah
    April 3, 2013 at 2:10 pm

How lucky are you that the lamp was still there!! Great make-over too.
    Sarah

Katherine
    April 3, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Such a lucky find! I love how it turned out. Your foyer is coming along beautifully if I do say so myself. Can’t wait to see what else you come up with.

April 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm

You would be right! : )

Ashli
    April 4, 2013 at 3:34 am

Oh My Goodness it’s beautiful!!!! I LOVE a great wood lamp!!!!
    Great job on the shade as well . . . i really liked your how to drawing!! πŸ™‚
    Lots of Love
    Ashli

April 4, 2013 at 8:42 am

Haha! Thank you! : )

Jaime
    April 4, 2013 at 8:42 am

Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever commented on a post before, but you’re one of my everyday blog reads. However, I had to respond today. That shade looks amazing with that lamp. What a great eye and a great outcome! πŸ™‚

April 4, 2013 at 9:32 am

Aw, thank you!!

Michelle O
    April 4, 2013 at 9:03 am

I fell in love with that shower curtain just yesterday! Looks great!

Tammie
    April 4, 2013 at 11:59 am

Awesome, so now I can cover those ugly, dingy shades I already have! YAY!

Kimberly
    April 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm

That’s so great that you went back for the lamp and it was there! I have had many I-should-have-bought-that meltdowns!

Andrea
    April 4, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I love this! And I love Threshold and their shower curtains. I wanted to use one by making it into a duvet cover (a beautiful spring green with a white pattern) which turned out to be too complicated for me. Instead I hung one as a bathroom window curtain, and used the second one to recover a large ottoman.

I love Threshold, I actually have two of their lampshades with a great yellow pattern, found on clearance for less than $5. I love Target!

Marianne
    April 4, 2013 at 5:54 pm

It looks amazing … And so inspiring ! Than for sharing this !

Cathy
    April 4, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Used a shower curtain to recover my daughter’s craigslist find dining room chairs, all six from one Target shower curtain. It was heavy material, modern graphic, no one could believe $22 on sale could refinish those seats. Highly recommend Target shower curtains and this idea is genius….my next target shower curtain project for sure. Thanks for the tip

April 4, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Sounds like a fun project!

jennifer
    April 5, 2013 at 1:05 am

that truly makes my heart beat faster. LOVE.

Ruthie
    April 5, 2013 at 8:00 am

I found your blog and checked it out because we also live in Hanover. Low and behold, there is the lamp that I just returned to Tuesday morning last week. I loved it but my husband hated it. I usually fight for design that I like, but this time I just returned it.
    My husband and I are glad that I did. Glad it has made you so happy.

April 5, 2013 at 9:07 am

No way!!! Small world!
      So glad you returned it, haha!

Luci Stoddard
    April 5, 2013 at 10:49 am

That lamp was awesome! We’re going to be building and designing a house, and I’m bookmarking these directions. I know I’m going to do this!

ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com
    April 5, 2013 at 11:38 am

That looks great! I love the pop of color and you’re right, that base is amazing!

April 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I wish Target’s shower curtains were taller because they’re ten times cuter than Target’s actual curtains. Never thought about using them for lampshades though. Quick question– I recovered a lampshade awhile back and it was fine until I turned the light on. You could see the line of fabric from the inside. Did this happen to you, or did the heavy weight of the curtain disguise any shadows from the inside?

April 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I know what you mean! The do carry some longer shower curtains online, but never in the cool patterns like this one.

I lucked out and was able to find a thick, white drum shade. It’s actually made of something almost like poster board, but nicer. That along with the fact that the shower curtain is a good weight, we don’t see any lines when the light is turned on. Otherwise, you can trim the fabric down closer to the seam – making it less noticeable. I hope that helps!

Nikki - nikkisnacs
    April 8, 2013 at 9:26 am

The lamp looks so good! I bought 2 of those shower curtains a month ago and find myself wanting recover everything in my house with that fabric!

kristen
    April 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

if anyone wants the look for less, Target has a very similar lamp that’s on sale this week! πŸ™‚

$36.99

thanks for the tutorial on the lampshade! i will be redecorating my craft room this summer and would love to use some accent fabric to cover a shade πŸ™‚

April 8, 2013 at 10:57 am

Yes! This is a great smaller option!!

Dominique
    April 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm

This is brilliant! My significant other and I are in the process of purchasing our first home and I’ve been having second guesses solely because my shower curtain won’t match the new bathroom. http://istaistaista.blogspot.com/2013/02/new-shower-curtain.html….I think it would make a lovely lampshade!

April 11, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Yes, it would!! : )

Kelly
    June 15, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I just found your site (from IHEARTORGANIZING) and I lust say…..I LOVE it!! I saw your project on your handmade lamp shade and it is Amazing. I have a pair of lamps (we are in a HUGE remodel) that I love and my plan is to spray paint the base and then I have some leftover coordinating fabric that will work prefect in making a new shade. I will be stopping by quit often!!!!

Lanell
    June 27, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I love it! The colors perfectly match my decor..good job

Maddie
    June 28, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Hi! I saw your feature on IHeartOrganizing and had to track down this lamp post to make sure I wasn’t crazy. I have that shower curtain, LOVE it, and was sure it was the fabric of your lamp shade! Also LOVE this lamp shade make over and the foyer in general and am having fun browsing your projects. I’ll be sure to stop by again now!

lauren
    July 2, 2013 at 9:06 am

wow! The lamp i’ve been obsessing over you made out of a shower curtain! AWESOME!!!!and at such a great deal on the base : P