In an effort to be one step closer to having every nook and cranny in the entire house organized, we decided to get the linen closet in order this week. Since we moved into the house, it has just been a place to stash extra towels and toilet paper, rather than a real, bonafide linen closet. Until now…
I talk about about the linen closet and the organization process in my latest contributor post over at iHeart Organizing (check out the post here). But over here on our blog, I wanted to chat a little more about our favorite feature of the newly organized linen closet.
When we started organizing this area, the first thing we did was find a solution for the linen storage on the bottom shelf. Since the bottom shelf is a little hard to get to – especially when you’re trying to put away clean linens – we came up with the idea of installing a pull-out drawer.
After some shopping around, we bought this Bamboo Roll-Out Cabinet Drawer from The Container Store. We contemplated sliding wire metal baskets, but ultimately decided the bamboo drawer wouldn’t put little dents in the linens like wire baskets might and, well, it just looks better. The opening of the door is a very tight 17″ wide, so we purchased the 14″ drawer to make sure it would clear the door and be able to slide all the way out. We have roll-out shelves similar to these in all of our lower kitchen cabinets and we l-o-v-e them. They make everything easier to keep organized.
We wanted the drawer to match the color of the shelves and the door trim, so we painted it using RustOleum’s Universal All Surface Spray Paint in a Satin finish. This stuff is seriously the best. spray. paint. ever. It has primer built in, so we didn’t have to do any prep at all. The final finish is super smooth, and the drawer looks like it came from the factory bright white, rather than natural bamboo. We’ll definitely be using this line of products again in the future. And no, this isn’t a sponsored post, haha.
The installation process was really easy, and it only took Greg a few minutes – hence the lack of photos of the installation process. The reason it was so easy is because the drawer came with a nifty cardboard template. To get the drawer positioned properly, all he had to do was center the template on the shelf and line the rails up with the template. Once that was done, he drilled a few pilot holes, turned a few screws, and done.
Once Greg had the drawer installed, I put the linens in. I was really happy with how much storage space it offered, but it seemed like something was still missing.
Ahhhh… much better. Everything is better with a label. I took one of my go-to Martha Stewart Adhesive Bookplates and coated it with a few light coats of Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. If you ever plan to spray paint these yourself, the key is to keep them on the adhesive backing (I normally spray paint a whole set at a time) and do two very light coats of spray paint so it will end up being nice and even. I really wish they would just come in black or oil rubbed bronze. That would make me happy.
What I didn’t expect, and really like about this set up, is that there’s a little space on either side of the drawer – perfect for storing back up soap. That, my friends, was one of those quirky giddy moments I get when something just works out unexpectedly well.
It feels so nice to have another organized space to mark off the to-do list. Having this done makes me feel hopeful about the other closets in the house – oh, except for the foyer closet. It’s not messy, it just houses a whole bunch of different “categories” of things that I’m kind of stumped as to where to start. But for now, let’s just think about good things, like this newly organized and functional linen closet. Ahh… happy thoughts.
Check out the details on the rest of the linen closet in this post over at iHeart Organizing.