Cleaning Tips + Tricks

DIY NON-TOXIC GOO REMOVER

DIY Non-Toxic Goo Remover / 7th House on the Left

I have to admit, I’ve never been one to be big on making my own dish detergent, laundry soap, toothpaste, etc. Even though we usually buy natural cleaning supplies (like Method and Seventh Generation), I’m one of those people who thinks it’s easier to just go to the store and buy it. I know, total slacker. However, little by little I’m exploring and experimenting with homemade alternatives like using a Dawn and vinegar mixture as a shower glass cleaner, dry mustard as a deodorizer or the thousand and one uses for vinegar. Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

DIY Non-Toxic Goo Remover / 7th House on the Left

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine told me about a homemade, non-toxic alternative to Goo Gone (that orange-y smelling stuff that gets the gunk from price tags and labels off of things). Little did I realize that products such as Goo Gone or Goof Off have a long list of warnings, including eye/skin irritation, unconsciousness if ingested (wow!) and high flammability. So, in an effort to attempting to try more homemade alternatives, I decided to give a natural, homemade solution a try. And… I loved it. I might even go as far as to call it brilliant. I was so excited about this stuff that I had to share it with you here on the blog…

DIY Non-Toxic Goo Remover / 7th House on the Left

To make this concoction, all you need are equal parts baking soda and coconut oil. I don’t know if it matters or not, but I used organic unrefined virgin coconut oil (Update: it does matter, as it makes the mixture combine better and not separate). Right out of the jar, it’s pretty hard (kind of like the consistency of creamy wax). Update: You guys have found that if you heat up mixture in the microwave for a few seconds (just enough to slightly heat it up) then mix, the concoction won’t separate on you later on.

DIY Non-Toxic Goo Remover / 7th House on the Left

Because of the hard(ish) consistency, after I measured the coconut oil, I popped it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds then added the baking soda. To fill a 4oz canning jar, you’ll need 1/3 cup of each ingredient.While the mixture was still warm, I poured it right into the canning jar.

DIY Non-Toxic Goo Remover / 7th House on the Left

I let it sit out on the kitchen counter overnight (with the lid off) to solidify. Since I’m pretty much head over heals for this stuff, I decided to make a few more jars of the concoction to give to a couple friends and my Aunt Dee Dee – who is totally crazy about things like this. She makes her own…everything, haha.

DIY Non-Toxic Goo Remover / 7th House on the Left

Obviously, I immediately had to take this stuff out for a test run. I’ve been collecting glass jars for a while (for what, I have no idea yet), and some of them still have some of the sticky residue from the label on them. I took a bit of the mixture, rubbed it on the sticky areas, and let it sit. About five minutes later, I used a paper towel to rub off the “goo remover” and the label remnants started coming right off. I rinsed the jar using warm water and a bit of dish detergent, and it came out clean as a whistle. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised at how well it worked. It smells so good – much better than the weird orange smell of the other stuff. Greg even mentioned that he thinks it works better than Goo Gone. Go figure! Plus, my hands were super soft after I used it, haha.

DIY Non-Toxic Goo Remover / 7th House on the Left

Needless to say, being the label-lover that I am, I had to design a label for the jars. I also included the ingredients just in case my friends/family fall in love with this stuff as much as I did and want to make more. You can download the labels in four colors by clicking the button at the bottom of the post.

Overall, this is definitely a “baby step” I’m glad I took, and a jar of this stuff has found a permanent home under the sink.

Non Toxic Goo Remover Label Download / 7th House on the Left

susan
    April 12, 2013 at 10:21 am

Excellent! I’m going to have to try this. BTW, I voted for you yesterday AND today. I believe in the old adage “vote early! vote often!”

April 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thank you so much!! : )

Ashley @GirlyObsessions
    April 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

This is great!! I’m not much on making my own cleaning supplies either but this one is so easy! I’m def gonna try it! (PS, I voted too!!)

Paula S.
    April 12, 2013 at 11:14 am

Thanks for sharing this and the labels! Love it. Oh, and to thank you I voted for you too. Good luck! πŸ™‚

April 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thank you!!

Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms
    April 12, 2013 at 11:25 am

Oh! Can’t wait to try it. First I have to find coconut oil though…

April 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

We found it in the natural food section of our Kroger. Hope you find it!

Megan
      April 12, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Costco sells coconut oil at the best price I’ve seen. It’s good for many, many other things.

sarah
    April 12, 2013 at 3:02 pm

THIS is genius! I can’t wait to try this when I get home from work.

EMILY
    April 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I have to ask… what nail polish are you wearing??

April 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Haha, it’s Essie’s Meet Me At Sunset : )

Brenda
    April 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Can you tell us where you purchased your canning jars?

April 12, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I picked them up at the grocery store (Food Lion). They have them at Target and WalMart too!

Jenna
    April 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I love this post! And your nail polish! πŸ™‚

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    April 12, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Thanks for the tip! Orange oil is just as natural and works just as well, too. This is what we use at work to get the price tags off of things. The eye irritation part is true though, because of the citric acid–just think about squeezing an orange into your eye! Smells fantastic, though. http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-136240/Boyajian-Orange-Oil

Peggy W
    April 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I have been using Goo Gone forever but I will definitely be trying this. I can’t stand the smell of Goo Gone and what you are suggesting seems much more pleasant in smell, texture and clean up. I also love the little jars you used to store the mixture. Not to mention your adorably bright labels.

Pam
    April 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Cool! A new way to use coconut oil.

Bonnie
    April 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Oh yes, I’ve seen this all over Pinterest! I get so many good ideas from there. I love DIY projects. πŸ™‚

Cynthia
    April 12, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Love it! Will try this for sure!!! Thanks for the labels too πŸ™‚

Barb Brown
    April 12, 2013 at 9:58 pm

wonder if this will work to get pine sap off my windshield??? Must tryit! Can I get a jar?

April 13, 2013 at 11:28 am

Sure! ; )

Amanda
    April 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm

This stuff is going to be my life saver Ashley! I love Goo Gone because I hate that sticky residue and I save jars like crazy. (I’m with you though — not sure what I’m doing with them; some day I’ll figure that out)

I must know where your bowl is from. It’s so pretty. (Picture me saying pretty in a high excited squeeky voice)

Amy
    April 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm

This is ironically similar to the deodorant recipe I use. I know homemade deo sounds gross, but it works WAY better than any brand I’ve tried from the store. Here’s the recipe I use: http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/12/diy-coconut-oil-deodorant.html. Keep these natural alternatives coming!

Julia
    April 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

I definitely want to try this stuff. I’m all about making homemade cleaners! Love the labels, too!

Angie
    April 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I have some remainder Coconut Oil that is expiring in a few months, and I think this will be the perfect use for it. We’ll be certain not to ingest it : )

kim
    April 14, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Lovely post! Be careful with coconut oil – it’s melting point is higher than most other oils, hence why it can be a solid and liquid form in no time at all. When it gets warmer outside (and possibly indoors!), it will be much more liquid-y, but it will work just as great! And next time, skip the “letting it dry overnight”, it will be ready to go right away. πŸ™‚

Stefanie
    April 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

Ashley, you’re amazing… you are such a creative, generous person!!! I love, love, love reading your blog. I’ve used coconut oil for everything from skin care to cooking, and it’s a great option. Would you mind giving up the name of the handwritten font on the labels? I have to have it! πŸ™‚

April 15, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thank you! That particular font is a slightly edited version of this one (http://bit.ly/ZvXEoP). Though, most of the time I just use my own handwriting. We’re hoping to have a font download available for that in the near future.

christina @ homemade ocean
    April 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

LOOOOVE those labels!

Joy
    April 15, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Awesome post. Funny thing is my favorite part is the adorable jars and labels. LOL

Ashlee
    April 16, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Those labels are so cute! Found your blog on iheartorganizing, love it! I’d be so happy if you could follow my blog too at http://twentysomethingbows.blogspot.com/

Happy Tuesday!

Camilla
    April 18, 2013 at 12:33 am

Thanks for the awesome post! I made it today and i appreciate the cute labels too! What label template # are you using that these fit on? (I had to use squares I had on hand and then just cut out the circles after I printed them.) I love the idea of a larger circle label! Thanks again!

April 18, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thank you! I should add this to the post, oops! Because the top of the lid isn’t completely flat, I actually just printed them on card stock and cut them out. To protect the paper from water and wet hands, I added a piece of clear laminate paper on the front and back. Then, I put the circle between the ring and the lid.

Abby
    April 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Love this! Ashley, can you tell me where you got your blue bowl? I can’t sleep until I know….I’m obsessed!
    Thank you!!

Barb
    April 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Ashley,

Bought it. Made it. Used it! You are a GENIUS!
    Do you store it in the refrigerator or cabinet?

Also, on your ETSY shop….can I still get the poster”You make me happy when skies are gray?”

I would love to order it. Please advise.

Barb M. ( ordered from you before. From NH)

April 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thanks, Barb! We store it in the cabinet under the sink.
      Just got your order! Thanks so much! : )

Barb
    April 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Ordered it, Ashley…. Excited.

April 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm

It will be headed your way on Monday!
      Thank you so much!

Lesley
    April 21, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Hi Ashley, what label do you use for lids? Thanks! πŸ™‚

April 22, 2013 at 12:12 am

Candace’s Crafty Corner: Hot Cocoa Jars | the candace
    December 24, 2013 at 7:03 am

[…] using a coconut oil and baking soda mixture. I found this all natural “Goo Gone” recipe HEREΒ (a great blog, btw). It worked but took serious effort! Since I reused old jars, I needed to paint […]

Amanda
    January 27, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I just made this (finally! It took me way too long!) and the oil is separating at the top as it’s drying πŸ™ Was this common?

January 27, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Hmm, that’s odd. I’m still using the same jars that I made when I wrote this post and they’ve never done that. Maybe the coconut oil wasn’t liquified enough when you mixed it? Are you using organic coconut oil?

melissa
    March 11, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Ashley,

This is fantastic. The regular goo gone is so toxic for me due to my extreme sensitivity to cleaners. This is going on the list of cleaners to make!!!

Julie
    March 17, 2014 at 9:15 am

I’m having the same problem with it separating, as Amanda πŸ™ I also noticed that Jen over at Iheartorganizing , her jar of “goo gone” also looks like it has separated… I’ve made it for the first time and I am having trouble with a particularly stubborn label.. I will persevere as I really want this to work.. if anyone has any suggestions as to where I am going wrong please let me know πŸ™‚

Julie
      March 17, 2014 at 11:08 am

Oh update: I warmed the whole mixture up again , just in case it wasn’t warm enough the first time, even though it had all melted. After the second time in the microwave, it has formed a homogenous mixture, no separating.

March 17, 2014 at 11:10 am

Awesome! Good to know!

March 17, 2014 at 11:11 am

Julie said she heated hers up and didn’t have any separating this time around (see her comment above).

Connie
      August 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Some goo comes off easily with a dishcloth but some take a nylon scrubberβ€”and a fair amount of elbow grease, but it always works better than the commercial stuff.

In the worst cases, try scraping some of the goo off with a putty knife and then use the goo remover.

Malia
    August 13, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe and the labels!! Super stoked to use it. Really appreciate you sharing your time, knowledge and talents. mahalo…

Connie
    August 24, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I first made this goo remover last fall, and now I can’t live without it. This morning it got rid of the goop left behind when I finally removed the stick-on Velcro from some drawer dividers and the remnants of a tag on the kitchen cabinet.

Lu
    April 10, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Hi Ashley, I live in Moterrey, MΓ©xico and I love your blog. I tried this and it works great. Thanks for sharing