Foyer + Hallway

It’s said that the foyer or entryway is one of the most important areas of the home – right up there with the kitchen. It’s the first thing your friends and family see when they walk in the house–it’s your house’s first impression. Our “first impression”, well, was pretty much non existent…

Foyer Before / 7th House on the Left

As members of the Target Inner Circle (more on that here), we were lucky enough to team up with Target and enlist the help of the ultra-talented Sabrina Soto. You can read more about our Q+A session with Sabrina and our initial plans for the space in this post. Once we installed a pendant light, painted the inside of the front door red, picked out the “base pieces” for the foyer, transformed a table lamp and tackled the process of having the perfect rug cut and bound, all that was left was to accessorize the foyer table.

Foyer Before / 7th House on the Left

Until we added the base pieces, the foyer was completely empty. We brought in a mirror, large frames and a distressed metal table (we talk more about those things and why we chose them in this post) to provide basic structure for the area. Even though we were on the right track for filling up the space, we still needed a lot more personality and color. Now, it’s looking a little more robust and colorful…

Foyer Table / 7th House on the Left

That’s a little bit better, right?

Foyer Table Lamp & Accessories / 7th House on the Left

The first thing we did was change out the lamp’s ugly dated shade for one that we made ourselves out of a white drum shade (similar to this one) and Threshold Ikat Print Shower Curtain (more on that here). The lamp base brought some natural elements in (Sabrina suggested that we bring natural elements together with glass and reflective surfaces). The colorful blue and green pattern of the shower curtain lamp shade really helped bring in a pop of color and kept with the “modern rustic” vibe we’re going for.

Next to the lamp is a Nate Berkus frame (which is no longer listed online but still available in store!). This is one of those accessories that Greg and I both immediately agreed on. When we were in Target shopping around for accessories, we actually reached for it at the same time! I love it because the “bone” material adds some texture and goes really well with the lamp base.

Foyer Accessories / 7th House on the Left

One of my favorite things (actually, the very first thing we picked out for the foyer) is this little Threshold Ceramic Decorative Storage Box. I love the simple honeycomb design on the side and the tiny bee on top. We haven’t put anything in it yet, but it’s the perfect size for stashing mints for guests or maybe a spare key. Though, Bentley’s vote is to use it for dog treats.

I’m a sucker for cute stacks of books, but only in moderation. I thought this would be a good place for a small stack since it’s an easy and great way to add a bit more color and, of course, display some of our favorite decorating books.

Foyer Accessories / 7th House on the Left

On the second shelf, we displayed a few favorites from our vintage camera collection and a stack of ever-rotating decor magazines. I really like having the stack of magazines here because when we get a new one in the mail, I can just add it to the stack and read it when I get a chance, rather than moving it from room to room hoping I get a minute to skim through it. As for the cameras, we started out with four, then pared it down to three, but ultimately decided two was a good number so things didn’t look cluttered.

Foyer Storage / 7th House on the Left

To anchor everything and add more “umph” to the table, we decided to also add a few things on the floor. I’ve been eyeing this Smith & Hawken Chalkboard Label Basket for months. I’ve always said it would be a great toy box for a living room or play room, but since we obviously don’t have a need for a toy box at the moment, we decided to use it to store a pillow and a few throw blankets for movie nights. I really like this because it’s fun and functional at the same time.

Speaking of functional, next to the basket, we stacked two linen storage boxes. This is where we keep our Wii games and accessories. It’s close enough to the living room to be convenient when we pull it out – which is actually pretty rare these days, unless my brother is in town. We have some serious Mario Kart competitions! Baby Daisy FTW. Just saying.

Oh and we can’t forget the wall art…

Foyer Art / 7th House on the Left

As we talked about in this post, we took three silver 18×18 Picture Frames and spray painted them with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint so they would tie in with the metal table and pop out from the wall a bit more. We then framed a few of our favorite old family photos (we’re talking old as in 1950’s and 60’s). We intended for this to be a modern take on displaying old family photos, and we love the results even more than we expected. As corny as it may sound, it’s so nice to have a reminder of our family heritage and in a much-walked-through area of the house.

I rearranged and rearranged the accessories on this foyer table until I got to the point where I would see it when closed my eyes to go to sleep. Haha. Chances are I’ll even rearrange it yet again, but for now, I’m loving our little fun-yet-functional setup. Not to mention that, it’s so, so nice to have such an important nook of the house decorated.

May 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I love everything about this! Can’t wait to see the gallery wall you mentioned in Monday’s post.

Dina C
    May 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

My favorite thing would have to be the lamp. THAT is amazing! But I also really like that idea of having a basket for throws and pillows for movie nights. We have a bunch of those around here… we don’t have kids yet either LOL.

May 1, 2013 at 1:46 pm

First off, I love the way all of this turned out. Second of all, I somehow missed the shower curtain lamp post and I have to say, that is freaking amazing! SO SO clever!

May 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Looks amazing! Just out of curiosity, where do you keep your shoes?

May 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thanks! Oh, we keep shoes and coats at the back door. This door is where guests and the pizza guy come to. When we get to decorating and organizing the back door, we’ll definitely share our shoe storage solution.

May 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Beautiful! That lamp is the perfect welcoming sight for your guests! I love the art too. It’s the perfect size for the space! Kudos!!

May 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I love this!! I also have a Brownie camera that I cant wait to find a place for! 🙂

christina @ homemade ocean
    May 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm

You need to teach a class on styling….I am not kidding.

I’ll be first in line!

May 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Haha! That’s so sweet of you to say but I’ll definitely leave that to the pros. I have much to learn! : )

May 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for another great post. I love what you did to the foyer.

May 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm

This is so my style…love every single thing in this vignette! Great job.

Kate @ Magic City Thistle
    May 1, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I love how everything came together. I have a couple of glass end tables that I’m having trouble styling, so this is great inspiration.

Jenn @ Home Style Report
    May 1, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I’m so glad to hear that I’m not the only one that has been eyeing that basket for months. I think my love for it started in the fall of last year. Love the pops of color, very nice!!!

May 2, 2013 at 12:02 am

I love how this turned out, especially the lamp! Great idea to use a shower curtain as fabric. What size did you print the pictures to fit the frames?

May 2, 2013 at 12:24 am

Thanks so much! The photos are 4×4.

May 2, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I’m a new follower but I just wanted to say I love the old photos in modern frames. Very cool idea!

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    May 2, 2013 at 2:01 pm

It turned out so great, you guys!!! I love all of the accessories and personal touches! What a wonderful, welcoming space for your home! Hope you’re having a great week!

~Abby =)

May 3, 2013 at 1:19 am

Hi Ashley, I’ve seen you use silver cute book plate labels (I think that is what you called them) on your dark brown Target baskets in the kitchen, but I can’t seem to find them anywhere! Where do you get them? Thanks!

May 3, 2013 at 8:11 am

Oh, I love those! You can find them at Staples in the Martha Stewart section.

Justynn [creativelifeantics]
    May 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I love that bone frame! And of course the model in it 😉

Sarah @ An Inviting Home
    May 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I love the set up and the vintage cameras! I just incorporated some vintage pieces into our home and love the touch that they bring along with all of the crazy amazing Target Threshold pieces. Your space looks great! 🙂

May 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Hi, Ashley! Your entry looks fabulous!!!! That lamp shade is killing it–it’s PERFECT!! I love how you’ve decorated what used to be a blank space! Those baskets are fabulous, btw–I have three of them and you are absolutely right–they are terrific for toy storage!

May 6, 2013 at 7:27 am

Gallerys are so creative & nice to see.I Love all the things posted in it.

May 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Hey Ashley, your entry looks awesome! What’s the paint color in here? I can’t seem to find it in the post -is it the same as the living room? Looks lighter but that may just be the lighting?

May 18, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Thanks! It’s Cobblestone by Martha Stewart. It’s the same color as the living room, I guess the different lighting just makes it look a litter darker/lighter.