Cleaning Tips + Tricks

THE EASY WAY TO CLEAN A MICROWAVE

How to Clean a Microwave, the Easy Way!  /  7th House on the Left

This week, Greg is ultra busy at work so I’m focusing my energy on organizing and deep-cleaning every room in the house before the 3-day weekend coming up. I’m tackling one or two areas of the house per day, and today I’m busy at work in the laundry room and half bathroom. So, while I haven’t had time this week for a DIY/decorating project of any sort, I’m getting stuff done. Fo sho. That being the case, I don’t have much time to chat, but I do have a short, sweet and helpful tip to dish out.

Earlier today, it was time to clean the microwave (which we keep on a rolling cart in the laundry room closet since we rarely use it), I planned on using the vinegar/water/bowl/sponge method seen fifty-eleven times on Pinterest. But. We were out of white vinegar. Imagine me saying, “Nooooooo…” and kneeling down to the floor in despair. Okay, not really.

How to Clean a Microwave, the Easy Way! / 7th House on the Left

Rather than running out to the store just for vinegar, I decided to improvise and use dish detergent. I put about 10 pumps of Dawn in a bowl of warm water and stuck it in the microwave for 1 minute. When time was up, I put a sponge in the now hot mixture and started scrubbing away. Easy peasy!

I hate to admit it, because I’m a clean freak, but there was some oatmeal that exploded on the top of the microwave that I didn’t realize was there for a while. So it was pretty cooked on. Gross, I know. But, much to my surprise, using this method, it came right off with a swipe of the sponge and the entire microwave was like brand new in a matter of minutes. Which, without a doubt, makes my clean freak heart happy.

Stephanie DeArco
    May 22, 2013 at 10:12 am

Is there anything else that I could clean with this mixture, that you would think is alright? Also, do you wipe off where you wiped with the solution?

May 22, 2013 at 11:14 am

This would work great on any surface that is safe for dish detergent. The surface was a bit sudsy, so I wiped it up with a wet sponge to remove all the soap. Hope that helps!

Hannah K
    May 22, 2013 at 11:39 am

What is the vinegar method?`

May 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Something along the lines of putting a bowl of vinegar and water in the microwave for a few minutes. The steam apparently “cleans” the inside of the microwave. I haven’t tried it though!

Matthew Haddon
    May 22, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I seldom clean our microwave for the fear of breaking it. Well, I mean I do wipe off with a paper towel food stains and all but not the way you mentioned in this post. Thanks for sharing this. I hope you can drop by my site too when you have time and maybe we can share some home improvement notes πŸ™‚

Kathleen
    May 22, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I heat up a little bit of lemon juice to clean mine, but now you have me wondering if just plain water will do the trick.

Microwaves sure are gross…

Sarabeth
    May 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I think I will try this tonight. Gotta make sure everything looks good since my mom is coming into town tomorrow afternoon!

Amy
    May 22, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Love your soap dispenser! Would you mind sharing where you got it?

Tracy
    May 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I just microwave a bowl of plain water 5 minutes and let it sit in there a few minutes extra after it beeps. Anything in there gets steamed and wipes in 2 seconds flat.

Justynn [creativelifeantics]
    May 22, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Hey thanks for the tip. Someone needs to convince my roommate to wipe up the microwave right away cuz i feel like I’m ALWAYS scrubbing the crap out of it!

//Justynn

Pam
    May 23, 2013 at 8:07 am

I’ve been using the vinegar method for a while now. I love it but the smell isn’t very pleasing. I’ll have to give this a try.

Jen
    May 23, 2013 at 9:58 am

I usually use plain water and a halved lemon in a microwave safe dish and nuke for 5 min., then wipe down. Smells great and I used the heated lemon to clean up my stove afterwards.

Nicole A
    May 23, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Dawn dish soap is ahhhmazing! From clothing stains to microwave crud it’s the clean all. No, I am not a spokesperson but my Mom used this for as long as I can remember growing up and now I do too!

I’ll openly admit I tend to let the microwave go too long in between cleans so the water gets to cook a little longer πŸ˜‰

Karyn
    May 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Great tip! I am going to clean my microwave this afternoon!

Jane Abston
    May 26, 2013 at 8:36 am

Thanks for the tip! Actually, I seldom clean our microwave. It’s also great to use lemon for cleaning.

monique henderson
    May 28, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I just take a measuring cup (a glass 4 cup) fill with 2 cups of water, run the microwave 5 to 7 minutes, let it sit about 5 minutes after the timer ends then remove the measuring cup and just wipe it out. The steam loosens everything. I do take out and wash the glass turn style. I also recommend so you don’t have to clean as often a plastic plate cover available at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond for under $3..

Pamela Paul
    October 26, 2015 at 10:07 am

Thank you for sharing! I need to clean the microwave because I had a little accident with a red sauce. I love your cleaning idea! I am sure it will work great!