Foyer + Hallway

HOW TO INSTALL A GALLERY WALL

gallerywall_floor

…or at least how I installed one anyway. Something I’ve wanted in the house since Day One is a gallery wall. I mean, come on, who doesn’t love a good gallery wall, right? Haha. I didn’t want anything major, just a little tid bit of organized chaos that happens to look pretty. I just needed an excuse to put one together.

Foyer Wall Before / 7th House on the Left

Just when we were nearing the end of decorating the foyer, we got to the awkward skinny wall by the front door.Β It was too skinny to put a single piece of artwork, not enough floor space for a coat tree and too wide to just ignore and do nothing. And right then and there, I was handed an excuse for a gallery wall on a silver platter.

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

We had a stack of frames stashed away in the guest room closet that weren’t being used, so I gathered them up along with scissors, scrap sheets of card stock, a Sharpie, tape and a good amount of Command Picture Hanging Strips.

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

First off, I traced the outer edges of the frames on pieces of card stock then cut them out.

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

When they were all cut out, I taped the “paper frames” on the wall one by one until I Β had a design I liked. Being a visual thinker, this proved to be a really valuable step that saved me a lot of brain power. I used clear tape rather than my go-to paper tape so I could get a really good visual of the spacing between the frames.

Oh! The umbrella stand. Greg and I found this super neat vintage porcelain umbrella stand at a local antique mall Β (Cold Harbor Antique Mall for you locals) for $23. I was shocked when I saw the tag because I’ve been searching for one similar and the cheapest one I found was around $120 plus shipping. So, needless to say, I snatched that baby right up. I’m now on the search for a few fancy umbrellas – the kind with the pretty silver handles. It will be something fun to keep our eyes out for during our shopping travels. Okay, back to the gallery wall…

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

We had some frames that were the same size but a different style, so to plan out things a little further – because I’m weird like that – I laid them out on the floor to put together a collection that geared toward the look we were looking for (casual, collected over time and not trying too hard). The rest is pretty self-explanatory… time to hang the frames!

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

Because the frames were going on a wall with a door, we wanted to make sure they were going to be very secure. So, we opted to use the Command Strips. We used these on the tile wall in the kitchen, and they haven’t budged since the day we hung them. Another perk of using these is that if you hang it a smidge crooked, you can easily lift it up and try again.

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

We’re really happy with how our little gallery wall turned out. Now we’re able to display some of our favorite photos (like this one of me and my grandma cooking in her kitchen sporting matching Mickey Mouse aprons) including the mat our friends and family signed at our wedding and our paint shirt art.

Brown & Barkley / 7th House on the Left

One of our favorite pieces on the wall is this art print of a quote my great grandpa used to say (which is now available here over at Brown & Barkley). I never got the chance to meet him because he passed away a few years before I was born, but I hear stories all the time about what an amazing man he was. So, it’s neat to have a little piece of him here.

Framed Vintage Numbers / 7th House on the Left

Another favorite are these framed vintage numbers. I bought the cardboard numbers on Etsy for about $4 (including shipping) and taped them on a piece of white card stock. I decided to put them in a large frame to give it a more modern look. Oh, and the 29 – we were married on the 29th of December. The numbers look a little flat in the photo, but the texture in person makes them look even cooler.

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

We can’t end this post without a before and after…

How to Install a Gallery Wall / 7th House on the Left

Yeah, we still need a few umbrellas for the stand, but I think it’s safe to say that with that, my friends, we wrap up the foyer. It feels so good to mark an area of the house off the list. I think I totally deserve a Route 44 Diet Dr. Pepper.

Molly
    May 6, 2013 at 11:23 am

LOVE it! Especially the 29. I may have to steal that idea! πŸ˜‰

Melissa @HOUSEography
    May 6, 2013 at 11:32 am

Looks great Ashley!!

Kelsey // It Takes Two
    May 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

I love it! I usually don’t like gallery walls, but yours is so nicely balanced and spaced and not over-crowded, it looks great! And I love the way the red door looks with everything.

Sarah
    May 6, 2013 at 11:52 am

Very nice! What paint colour did you use on these walls?

May 6, 2013 at 11:53 am

Thanks! It’s Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone but it’s a tad darker in person.

Barbara in CT
    May 6, 2013 at 12:41 pm

You ‘nailed’ your plan without putting one nail in the wall. It really does look collected over time.

Don’t overlook old canes for your umbrella stand. They used to personalize silver handles around the 1900’s but unless the owner was fairly well known, the price isn’t awful. Maybe there is one lurking in your family?

May 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Thanks! Ohhh, good idea!

Dyan
    May 6, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I love gallery walls and hate when pictures are hung too haphazardly, and too close together. You’ve got such a nice variety of shapes, colors, sizes, and it looks perfect. On another note, I just wanted to mention that I found your blog about a week ago, and have spent (almost) every waking hour wading through all 140 pages! The blog has a wonderful mixture of topics, the writing is fun and interesting, and I love reading about your thought processes as you decorate your gorgeous home. Looking forward to continuing!

May 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Wow, thank you so much! That really means a lot to us : )

Megan @ Rappsody in Rooms
    May 6, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Oh I love love love that!! The eclectic look blends together so well. It’s fantastic!

Hilary
    May 6, 2013 at 9:56 pm

This looks great! Where did you find that round frame? It’s perfect!

May 6, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Thank you! It’s from Target, of course, haha!

Hilary
      May 7, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I should have known! Thanks!

Lesley
    May 7, 2013 at 1:14 am

I do it the same way! πŸ™‚ Trace each on paper and tape them on the wall while I visualize the spacing. And lay the frames on the floor for “mockup” before finally hanging them! πŸ™‚

nice gallery wall!

Jennifer
    May 7, 2013 at 10:01 am

I am eagerly awaiting a variety of pictures of the entire “after” foyer. We’ve seen bits and pieces, but I need more! HA

May 7, 2013 at 10:18 am

Haha : ) Because of the space, it’s hard to get a photo of the entire foyer at the same time. The table is so far from the door that its impossible to get it in the same photo. Plus, the rug doesn’t come out as far as the table, so that’s not on the same shot either, haha. Maybe we can do a post soon with all the shots in one post to get an idea of what everything looks like together.

patty
    May 7, 2013 at 10:51 am

love your house and blog.. what is your wall color and door color… love the rug and what you’ve done to your foyer.. my favorite blog and i read many!!! great job!!!

May 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

Thank you! The wall color is Cobblestone by Martha Stewart and the door color is Posh Red by Valspar.

anne @wit wisdom and food
    May 7, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I love how you laid out the photos and that they are all a little different. Looks great with the red door.

Sarabeth
    May 7, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Good tip about using the velcro strips to hang the pictures. I should probably add some to the picture i just hung up in our kitchen before I knock it off the wall!

Connie Grimes
    May 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Super cute and I totally love the navy rug with the red door. Job well done on the entry way.

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    May 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm

What a great space for a gallery wall–it turned out so well! I am dying to do a gallery wall in our house, but I’m afraid it will just turn out looking random and not cohesive. I will have to try your tips for layout to see if I can pull one together! Thanks so much for sharing your brilliant ideas! Have a great week!

~Abby =)

Meghan
    May 8, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I love your blog and I love your style! I’m sure you’ve already listed your paint colors somewhere, but I was wondering what color all your moulding and trim is? In some photos, it looks pure white, and in others it looks like a creamy off-white. Also, did you paint over previously stained moulding or buy it primed and ready to go? I have stained moulding that I want to paint white, but I’m worried it will be too big of a project to tackle… Thanks!

May 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thanks so much, Meghan! We actually hired someone to paint all of the trim throughout the whole house (beforehand, it was a 70’s yellow-ish white) What would have taken us FORVER only took a professional a little over one day. It was definitely worth the extra money to call in a pro. The color is Sherwin William’s Duration Home Interior Paint (great for trim) in “Ceiling Bright White”. Hope that helps you out!

Meghan
      May 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks so much for the tips!

Meghan
      May 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Ohh, one more question – Did you paint the walls or the trim first?

May 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm

We painted the trim first, then the walls.

marjorie
    May 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm

So pretty! Where is that lovely rug from?

May 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Thank you! It’s from Tuesday Morning.

Joe Curry
    May 13, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Hi guys–I was intrigued but skeptical about using Command hooks for hanging heav(ier) frames in my house. But, I should have known that 3M would deliver (I interned there one summer.) I have six frames to hang, plus create my own little gallery wall next to my living room piano. Tested out with one frame last week…brilliant! So glad I read your blog before adding more nails to the wall. πŸ™‚

May 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Nice! Glad you like them as much as we do!

April
    May 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Not quite a “pretty” umbrella with a silver handle… but definitely one to entertain the inner geek in all of us πŸ™‚

Camilla
    May 28, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Love how your gallery wall turned out. I did mine (entry way also) several months ago and I still LOVE it. I get tons of compliments, people ask what each thing means, and I still sometimes just stand there and stare. πŸ™‚ I had a question about your recent homemade goo remover, but now I can’t find that post. Do you have that link handy for me? Thanks!

Britney
    February 23, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hello!
    Love this website, have made most of your DIY crafts! Looking forward to your future posts! Always such great ideas! I love this picture wall that you put together, as well as the prints you make. I’m thinking of starting a print/invitation/card business and I was wondering if you could tell me which programs you think are the best for those sort of things, including the program you use to make your prints? Also, do you have a MAC OR PC? This would be so helpful, as I’m not sure who to ask about this! Thanks so much!
    B:)

February 23, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Thank you! I use Adobe Illustrator (on a Mac) for all of my designs/prints/etc. There are a TON of really helpful Illustrator tutorials online (including YouTube). Hope that helps!

Jamie
    September 2, 2015 at 12:06 pm

What a beautiful gallery wall!!! What is the name of the shop that you ordered the “29” numbers from? I LOVE that idea!

October 28, 2015 at 10:36 am

Oh dear! I can’t remember πŸ™ I’m so sorry!