Mad About Hue

MAD ABOUT HUE: NAVY BLUE

Well, we’re well overdue for another Mad About Hue round up. This time around, we’re talking all about one of my recent major color crushes: Navy Blue. I’ve been really drawn to all things Navy lately and I’ve always been a big fan of bold Navy walls. Actually, over the past week or so, I’ve been trying to connivence my BFF, Tiffany, to paint their nursery walls navy. If she has a girl, she wants to go with the ever so awesome coral and navy motiff. The room has a lot of light and I think it would look awesome with the white trim – girl or boy! Come on everyone, leave a comment and tell her to take the plunge, haha. No pressure, Tiff ; )

Mad About Hue: Navy Blue  /  7th House on the Left

One of the major things I love about Navy Blue is how versatile it is. You can match it with yellow, lime green, coral, pink, black and white… the options are endless. Here are a few fun fact about navy blue:

• Navy blue got it’s name from the uniforms worn by the British Royal Navy.
  • The first recorded use of “Navy Blue” as a color name was in 1840.
  • The tone of Navy Blue was formulated as a Crayola color in 1958 and is actually a little brighter than the traditional Navy Blue.

Bringing navy blue in a room, whether it be through an accent chair, art or a big statement like wall color, can instantly add a soothing boldness to any room. Yeah, “soothing boldness” totally sounds like an oxymoron, but that’s the power of Navy. If you’re looking to add a subtle hint or bold hit of Navy Blue to your home, here are some of my current favorite pieces:

Mad About Hue: Navy Blue

1 Enamel Navy Frame // 2 Melamine Ikat Dinner Plate
3 Bungalow 5 Isabella Side Table (sold out! boo!) Here’s a similar one.
4 Amy Gourd Glass Lamps // 5Β Ink Blot Pillow
6 Buck Up Buttercup Print // 7Β Study Wingback Chair

Top images from here, here and here.

jenn
    May 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’m currently planning for some navy in my bedroom. It does have a TON of windows so I’m debating between all the walls being Navy or just the accent wall behind the bed with the rest of the walls a complimentary grey. I’m painting with re-sale in mind too, so that’s why I’m torn. Decisions decisions.

Barbara in CT
    May 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Tiff, trust Ashley. She really has a great eye. You will love it.

Barbara, checking in from her navy blue and white house

Bethany
    May 17, 2013 at 11:54 am

YES! Paint the walls navy!
    I love navy blue everything. Fun post!

Rach M
    May 17, 2013 at 11:56 am

I too am in love with navy blue. And navy walls! You would think it would make a room feel dark, but I think it does quite the opposite.

caroline [the diy nurse]
    May 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm

We just took the plunge in our master- the same color that YHL used in their guest bedroom and I can’t get enough. I’ve been walking around thinking of what else I could paint. It’s so dramatic and fun!

Alexa @ travelmiamor
    May 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm

thanks for posting! Navy is in my new color palette!

Abbey
    May 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I just did a post about this very thing! I’m going Navy & Coral in my guest bedroom. I’m plunging in with painting all of the walls – I think the giant windows and all the light will even it out. Here’s a link to my inspiration board. http://tinyurl.com/123foursquare
    Love your blog! πŸ™‚

Erin
    May 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I am obsessed with navy lately. It is such a versatile color and I’m always looking for ways incorporate hints of navy here in there in my home and my wardrobe. I love the examples in this post!

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    May 17, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Oooh I just love navy! I would love to use it on the walls when we put my sons together in the same room and redecorate. It’s so versatile–love that it would work in a boy or girl room! Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!

~Abby =)

Patricia
    May 18, 2013 at 2:36 am

I’m not a personal fan of navy but have been wearing more navy since my engagement ring has sapphires and I need to match it. So if you like it then go for it. It is a great color for a boy or girl. Lots of ways to girly it up. You can also try making it brighter like Crayola or try lightening it. You can do white walls with navy and coral furniture and accessories. If its a boy what are your color choices?

Congrats!

Maxine Sebring
    May 18, 2013 at 8:52 am

Wow! Navy blue is really awesome. That’s my favorite color. My study table is navy and it really brightens the room. πŸ™‚

Angie
    May 18, 2013 at 10:45 am

I had never really thought about navy and coral until I saw Brooklyn Limestone’s nursery. Really unique and not too girly. And any white furniture you add to the space just pops.

Meghan
    May 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

If you decide to paint your wall(s) navy, I highly recommend BM Hale Navy. Gorgeous color, I used it to paint an accent wall in my master bedroom. I have enough paint left to do another project and I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a side table or chair to give a little DIY makeover loving to!

Megan
    May 18, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I love navy! I’ve been pinning pics like crazy for my baby #2’s nursery. Pink and navy or navy and green….Thursday will tell me! I love it paired with white board and batten.

May 18, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Congrats, Megan!!

Maureen
    May 19, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’ve been considering painting my den BM’s Hale Navy. This post just sealed the deal! I love the look of the dark navy walls with the bright white trim. There are so many accent colors to use with navy that I think I will never grow tired of it. Thanks, Ashley!

Somer
    May 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

I painted our master in hale navy from BM and although the hubby was against it, we both feel madly in love after. It completely changed the mood of the room for the better!

KMP Modern
    May 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I just love the enthusiasm to put into your blog. Navy is just amazing on the walls. It’s not something I would have necessarily thought of but I love your examples, especially with the bold reddish-coral duvet cover. There is just something regal and sophisticated about navy. I love it as a nail color too. Thanks for posting!

HobbitMomof3
    June 21, 2013 at 12:25 pm

We did two rooms in our house various shades of blue. For a nursery it is a very calming color. Now that our kids are older I have been veering away from blue for more foresty colors like warm browns, deep greens and pops of red.