Carport + Patio DIY Decor

THE TALE OF THE ROADSIDE TABLE

Free Roadside Table / 7th House on the Left

Greg and I were driving down one of the well-traveled roads in Hanover a few days ago when we spotted a table sitting on the side of the road. I didn’t think much of it, but Greg said, “Did you see that table? It looked pretty cool.” I just agreed and went back to singing along to whatever 80’s classic rock song playing on Lite 98. All of a sudden, Greg decided to turn the car around to go check it out. He parked on the nearest side street, which was about a quarter mile away, and walked down to the table, only to find a crumpled up piece of wet paper next to it that said, “Free Table”. Greg quickly walked back to the car, opened the door and said, “It looks decent. I think I lift it into the back of the truck!” Good thing we happened to be driving my parent’s SUV.

Because the table was on the other side of a huge ditch, we basically had to park the SUV inside the ditch. I couldn’t even open the passenger door. Greg was determined to get this thing in the car one way or another, though. I don’t know how he did it (this table is solid and heavy), but he loaded it into the back of the SUV all by himself. The back doors wouldn’t close because the table was a bit too long, so we very carefully drove down the road to the nearest CVS with the back doors open – I know, totally illegal. We don’t recommend it. When we finally got to CVS (it seemed like it took forever even though it was only a few miles down the road), he went in, bought a nylon rope for $2, and tied the back doors shut.

Free Roadside Table / 7th House on the Left

When we unloaded the table, I finally got a good look at it and realized I was extremely happy that Greg was so determined to get it home. It looks like someone started it as a project, but just didn’t finish it or else it’s been very much weathered. The lines are strikingly similar to this outdoor Restoration Hardware tableΒ – which I love. It definitely needed some TLC, but that made us happy because we’d be able to make itΒ ours.

Roadside Table Find / 7th House on the Left

We’re planning on putting the table on the uncovered aggregate patio adjacent to the carport. Since the patio is a light tan color, we think the table would really pop if it was stained a medium dark color like Minwax’s Special Walnut.Β It’s right at 72.5″ long, which should seat 6 people comfortably. We might even be able to squeeze in one more person on either end if we extend it by a plank or two.

Roadside Table Find / 7th House on the Left

The top has a lot of character with all of the different types of planks. You can’t really tell from the photo, the top was nowhere near level. The back-right and front-left sides are both higher than the others, and some of the boards are popping out. It also needs a good few sanding sessions to make it smooth and splinter-free.

So, here’s our plan for this bad boy:

• Take the top off and level it out.
  • Nail down the loose boards.
  • Sand all the surfaces to prevent splinters.
  • Sand some more.
  • Stain with Minwax’s Special Walnut (our favorite color).
  • Seal with a weather-proof polyurethane.
  • Bask in the awesomeness of our new $20 (for sandpaper, stain, etc.) patio table.

And that, my friends, is that we’ve been up to the last 24 hours. In a day or two, we’ll be back with a progress post with lots of pictures and how-we-did-it info. Here’s hoping we don’t encounter any problems!

Denise
    May 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

i know it would deviate from the original, but that would look great with a concrete top!

Angel Y.
    May 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I love it! I would love to find something as great someday on my roadside travels. Looking forward to seeing the outcome. πŸ™‚

Elisa
    May 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Great find! It’s perfect for outdoor dining.

patty
    May 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Do you live in Massachusetts Ashley.. I live on Cape Cod and wondering if Hanover is the Hanover MA? love your blog btw… πŸ™‚

May 28, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Thanks so much! Nope, we’re in Hanover, Virginia. Though, I love Cape Cod! My family used to vacation on Nantucket quite often when I was little. Great memories!

Kristin
    May 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I LOVE to find things on the side of the road! It’s like a free yard sale! πŸ™‚ Call me weird, but my boyfriend and I will purposely take a little ride around town when people put their garbage out, and look for things we can fix up! It is just so much fun! We have found anything from antiques to new bar stools! Amazing finds at no cost! Anyways, great find on the table! I cannot wait to see how you guys fix it up! Where are you going to put it? πŸ™‚

May 28, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Haha, that’s hilarious! Someone once told me that Sundays are the best days to do that because people are getting rid of stuff that didn’t sell at their yard sales.

We’re planning on using it as an outdoor dining table on the patio next to the carport. We just need to get some chairs (and maybe an umbrella) and we’re in business.

Becky
    May 28, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Looks like you’ve got yourselves one of these….the top is just a bit different:-)

May 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Yes, so similar! Similar future color too!

Stephanie
    May 28, 2013 at 2:38 pm

My husband and I had a guy we know from Hanover build our dining table – it is gorgeous! He actually builds tables a lot and I have a feeling this is a table he built! Here’s the link to his blog post about building that table:

I can’t believe you found it on the side of the road! Maybe I’m just crazy but I swear it’s the same table. How many handmade tables are exactly like that in Hanover County?!

May 28, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Wow, that would be CRAZY!

Noel M
    May 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Love it! What a great find. I’m completely jealous. πŸ™‚

Laine
    May 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I’m pretty sure I recognize that table from another Richmond blog that I read: http://tommyandellie.com/index.php/2012/10/27/fancy-x-pallet-table/

May 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Greg thinks that’s totally the same table! That’s so crazy!!

Erin
      May 29, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Wow. Crazy! πŸ™‚

Becca
    May 28, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I have totally seen that table on another blog and now it’s driving me crazy!!! Somebody made it from pallets or something, it was too low, when they were finished and they had to add those risers on the bottom!
    Oh my gosh, hunting down that post is going to make me nuts. Well, more nuts….
    Such a great find!

Becca
    May 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Nevermind…someone beat me to it. I *swear* it’s the same table, right?

May 28, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Greg definitely thinks it is! Such a small, small world, haha.

Stephanie
    May 28, 2013 at 3:13 pm

What a great find! I can’t wait to see the finished version.

Chernee Vitello
    May 28, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Great find – I can’t believe you found that on the side of the road! Can’t wait to see the finish product it is going to look wonderful.

Best
    Chernee

sarah m. dorsey
    May 28, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Amazing find!! Doesn’t look like it will take too much time to get it looking gorgeous! Definitely worth the effort!

Clare
    May 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm

This sounds like something I would do. I got my headboard free on the side of the road. It didn’t fit in the back of my car so I paid a guy who happened to buy driving by in a pickup truck to haul it the mile and a half to my house. Love roadside finds! Water Damage Corona CA

Anna
    May 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Wow! What a great find! Love that table! I wish it was mine…

Kerry
    May 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

That table is on Ana White’s website, I was thinking of building it but we built her farmhouse table instead.

Good find! You are right though, looks like someone didn’t finish the project.

For anyone looking to build the same table I highly recommend Ana’s site, such easy building plans!

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    May 28, 2013 at 9:44 pm

What a cool project! I love roadside finds. My full length mirror and one of my side tables were rescued from a dumpster a few years ago, and I still love them to pieces. I can’t wait to see what you guys do with it! Have a great week!

~Abby =)

Nicole A
    May 28, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I love it and I love the word FREE! Patio furniture is so darn expensive too! Now you can find some amazing chairs to match and have a great space. Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Paula
    May 28, 2013 at 11:42 pm

The coolest roadside find I have ever seen! You are lucky

Elena
    May 29, 2013 at 12:58 am

What a gorgeous table! I’m excited to see how this project progresses.

I just started following your blog. I absolutely love the design and layout.

May 29, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thank you so much!

Shawna
    May 29, 2013 at 2:03 am

Love the table, seriously what a find!! I stained a table the same color as the Shanty2chic girls and it turned out great!! Lucky, guess it was meant to be!! Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Sarah {20 State}
    May 29, 2013 at 6:24 am

Love it! I can’t wait to see what you do with it. It’s gotta be the best feeling on the planet when you find something like this for free.

Brittany
    May 29, 2013 at 11:30 am

Love it!! So glad your hubby turned around..and that you were driving a truck!! Can’t wait to see it once it’s done!

Beth
    May 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Molly
    May 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm

WHYYYYY would someone let that go?! So glad you got it! It will be beautiful!

Jackie B
    May 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I need neighbors like yours who leave cool tables in the ditch! So awesome that you are going to restore it – there is a lot of potential!

caroline [the diy nurse]
    May 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Who would throw that out?!?!?! Seriously. I want to slap them. But I won’t because there’s nothing better than finding a deal like that. And I absolutely love that it was your husband “ditch diving” instead of you!

Kristen
    May 30, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Can’t wait to see pics of the finished product!