House Happenings

FULL CIRCLE FURNITURE

cardcatalog

So, we have a pretty cool new piece of furniture hanging out in the dining room…

College Card Catalog / 7thhouseontheleft.com

It’s pretty awesome, right?! Over the years, I’ve seen a bunch of card catalog cabinets online here and there and always thought it would be really neat to have one. But what makes this card catalog cabinet even cooler is that it’s from the library of Greg’s and my alma mater. Long story short, some family friends, Ted and Judy Gee, had three catalog cabinets from the Lee library. They originally acquired them from one of the veteran librarians who was working at the library during the renovation a while back. A few weeks ago, Ted and Judy gave one of the cabinets to my Aunt Jerrie. Knowing that I would basically flip out over such a piece of furniture – because a) it’s just plain awesome and b) it’s from Lee – she surprised Greg and me by driving all the way to Cleveland, Tennessee to pick up the cabinet and bring it all the way back here to Richmond. Did I mention that my Aunt Jerrie lives in Florida? She drove about 20 extra hours just to surprise us. Yeah, she’s pretty awesome.

cabinetdrawer

The cabinet is about 48″ tall, 41″ wide and 17″ deep – so it’s a good-size piece of furniture and in great condition. It has a total of 60 little drawers. Everyone that sees it keeps asking what we’re going to put in them… and we have no idea. The possibilities are endless. Batteries, photos, flatware, paper tape, ribbon… the list goes on and on.

cardcatalog

It’s neat to think that these were probably in the library when my mom went to Lee and who knows, maybe even when Aunt Jerrie went there as well. Lee holds a lot of really fun, special and crazy memories for Greg and me individually and also as “Greg & Ashley” (we got engaged during our senior year) so having this piece of Lee history in our house is really special to us. This will definitely be one of those pieces we’ll cherish forever. Now we just have to figure out what to put in it…

Danielle
    June 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Can’t wait to see what you do with it! We have three card catalogs and I’ve been meaning to refinish or paint them for years. Although, I have to say, yours is in beautiful condition as-is!

Ashley @GirlyObsessions
    June 20, 2013 at 1:15 pm

What a great surprise!!! I was on the hunt for a card catalog a few years ago but had to settle for an imitation from home goods. There is nothing like the real thing!!

Erin
    June 20, 2013 at 1:27 pm

So jealous right now. I’m a librarian and I’ve casually looked for library catalogs for sale over the years and I just can’t afford them. Especially not something this size. I hope it stays in your family for a long time.

June 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Oh it will! We’re going to hang on to it forever : )

Trista
    June 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm

My husband and I are Church of God youth ministers. We didn’t go to Lee, but we have a lot of ties there. Beautiful campus.

June 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Haha, small world : ) Yes, it is!

Kate
    June 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm

My mom picked one of these up when our elementary school was having a moving sale. Only it was a table top version. It’s been used a a coffee table in her den for years, and as a kid it was always fun to hide things in the draw. πŸ™‚

Kate
    June 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Holy shirts and pants, I”M SO JEALOUS!!!!!! It’s gorgeous. If I owned such a beauty I would kiss it and tuck it in before bed every night.

June 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Hahahaha!

Tyesha
    June 20, 2013 at 1:58 pm

What an awesome piece! Even if it stays empty it’s a great piece to look at!!

Kathleen
    June 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm

That is gorgeous!

It’s so awesome to think of preserving a meaningful part of your University’s history. I ran into the card catalog from my alma mater at an antique store about a year ago and I still regret not buying it…

Stephanie @ simplebees.blogspot.com
    June 20, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I love pieces with a good story! This one has a great story! What a score!

Barbara
    June 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm

What a great piece of furniture in fantastic condition!

When you have a party or family get together, it would be fun to wrap the flatware for each guest in a napkin, tie it with a ribbon and place it in a drawer with the guest’s name in the label holder on the front.

Your Aunt Jerrie is awesome.

June 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Ohh, awesome idea! : )

sarah m. dorsey
    June 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Gorgeous! Great condition and it’s meaningful to you … perfect!!

Denise
    June 20, 2013 at 3:48 pm

OMG! I would flip, if I acquired this piece from South Kitsap High, Port Orchard, WA!! Love, love your blog!!

Katie
    June 20, 2013 at 4:07 pm

andI Holy crap, that is gorgeous. My husband have wanted one for so long and I can never, ever, ever, ever find one (that’s reasonably priced and/or a decent size). Super jealous. Cherish it forever!!

Hayley
    June 20, 2013 at 4:49 pm

You could turn it into a bar!

Lindsey d.
    June 20, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Wow! It’s beautiful! Please, please, please, please do not paint or refinish it other than a clean-up/oiling. It is amazing and beautiful and my heart stopped upon seeing it. Your family friends just gave you something that could easily fetch $1,500 – $2,000 (or more). I’m sure they will get an amazing thank you note.

I’m lucky enough to be in a similar situation. I have a card catalog waiting for me at my parents’ house, although it is not nearly as wide (although it is too tall to fit in my Highlander!) and the drawers are plastic, not wood (but blend beautifully). I’ve been gazing longingly at the photo my mom sent me for weeks now.

June 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Oh, no refinishing here! It’s too pretty to touch.

Tandra@ Little Houses Big Dogs
    June 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I promise if I copy its in the sincerest form of flattery:-) Jk-I’ve been eyeing mid century bar carts lately. What are you going to place on the top of it? Or leave it au natural?

June 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Haha : ) We’ll definitely find something cool to go on top and maybe some artwork on the wall as well.

Lisa
    June 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Ohhh, how beautiful!! What a great piece! And I love that it’s on wheels. πŸ™‚

Kristen
    June 20, 2013 at 8:40 pm

We snagged two card catalogs last year and they’re my favorite purchase to date. I would easily sell everything else before getting rid of them! πŸ™‚

Mia M
    June 21, 2013 at 4:46 am

Ok…this cabinet is perfection in every way! Congratulations! What a treasure!

Kristin @ bliss-athome.com
    June 21, 2013 at 9:32 am

I love those! So gorgeous and in excellent condition! xo Kristin

Megan
    June 21, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’m so jealous. I have looked for one of these for years and never found one in such great condition. You have a terrific aunt. I can’t wait to see what you stored in it. I’ve always wanted one for a craft room because you can label the drawers.
    P.S. I love your blog. Can’t wait to see the patio come together.

Dawn
    June 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh my! I’m so jealous. It is just beautiful!!!

Casey and Bridget @ DIY Playbook
    June 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Holy Moley this thing is GORGEOUS! What a wonderful find…this is a piece you will have forever. We can’t wait to see what you guys do with it…

Brittany
    June 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm

That is soooooo nice!!! I have been so interested in card catologs lately! I first saw one used as furniture on The Big Bang Theory–they have one in their living room/office area. I actually have been thinking what in the world someone would put in the drawers! What about craft supplies?? And then you can make pretty labels for each drawer!

Enjoy it! Can’t wait to see what you think up!

Brittany

Katrina
    June 21, 2013 at 12:46 pm

What a sweet Aunt!!! Such an awesome present!!! It’s so pretty

Brenna
    June 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I’m definitely part of team jealous too! Haha. It’s even extra special since it has some sentimental meaning for you guys! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Bethany
    June 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Totally jealous as I am a fellow Lee grad (c/o 2006)! It is a beautiful piece & I am so glad you are going to enjoy it so much. Blessings!

June 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Ah! Cool! We’re class of 2007 : )

Michelle
    June 21, 2013 at 5:14 pm

this is a beautiful piece!!! I’ve been poking around craigslist in boston for months for a friend and no such luck at anything so gorgeous! What a great ecletic and meaningful addition!!!

Andrea
    June 24, 2013 at 11:53 am

I wouldn’t even care if I never found anything to go inside it, I love it! I’ve always wanted a smaller one for keys, buttons, post it pads, anything.

The fact that it came from your school makes it even better. Who else actually used these in school? Anyone? Or am I the only old one?!

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today
    June 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I love it! We recently acquired a slightly smaller card catalog as a wedding present from my mother in law. I’d been lusting after card catalogs for years, but could not find any that were less than $400. She ended up finding one at a school sale and completely surprised me with it. I absolutely love it in our home, and nearly every person who walks into our home for the first time has to stop and comment on how fantastic it is.

Yours is gorgeous! And I love the casters on the bottom.

Amber Rhodes-Lapoint
    June 24, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Wait? You went to Lee? Very small world!

And even cuter cabinet!

June 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Yep! Go Flames! : )

Angie
    June 25, 2013 at 2:04 pm

You’ll never have to have a junk drawer with all those little compartments.

Brandy
    June 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Ashley, that piece is gorgeous!

Also, I love when the Voices of Lee comes to our church to sing…they are incredibly talented and inspirational. I live in Chattanooga and I would love to have a piece like that from my alma mater (UTC).

June 26, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Voices is amazing. We have some friends who were/are in VOL. They never disappoint!

June 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm

That’s so neat!

Joe Curry
    June 28, 2013 at 10:55 am

That seriously is a beautiful piece of furniture. And, if I’m being honest, I must say that I’m a bit jealous of your great find! πŸ™‚ I remember thumbing through the card catalogs at my hometown library in my bookworm days of elementary and middle school. I don’t know what I’d put in the drawers, but it looks so cool, you know?!

Crystal Anderson
    October 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm

My parents had one when I was kid. They used it as an “Advent Calendar” of sorts. There was a little gift tucked in for me and each of my siblings during the month of December.

It got damaged during a move and they eventually got rid of it. I’ve been looking for one for many, many years. You guys are SO lucky. Cherish it πŸ™‚

October 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm

That’s such a neat idea! Thanks for sharing : )