His + Her Favorite Things

HIS + HER FAVORITE THINGS

Time for another round up of His + Her Favorite Things. Strawberry Lime Aids, floral perfume, and outdoor decor; you can definitely tell we’re in summer-mode around here. Without further ado, here are a few of our favorite things…

His Favorite Things / 7th House on the Left

ONE // Do you play Dots? Ash, my mother-in-law, brother-in-law, and I are all hooked on it and constantly comparing scores. Not only is it addicting but the app design is really great. TWO // ‘Tis the season for Sonic Route 44 Strawberry Lime Aids. #mykindofhappyhour  THREE // When it comes to decorating, I’m what you’d consider a typical guy  – as long as it looks cool and works, we’re good to go. However, one thing that always catches my eye are cool terrariums; this one being one of my favorites. FOUR // I’m currently obsessed with these mechanical Poker keyboards. They’re compact, taking up very little desk space and keep your hands on the home row, no matter what you’re trying to type. Not to mention, the mechanical aspect gives you a better typing feel. Yes, I’m a geek.

Her Favorite Things / 7th House on the Left

ONE // Not that I wish we were moving, but I totally wish we had an excuse to use these adorable postcards. Is over two years too long to have moved to use these? haha // TWO I love this movie. And this poster. It’s a little too feminine to put in the house somewhere but it’s on the short list for my office. // THREE // Clinique’s Happy has been one of my favorite fragrances since I was about 13 and always will be. This set is perfect for summer and the roller stick is perfect for the purse.  FOUR // These are my all-time favorite shoes. At the moment, anyway. They are even cuter in person and super comfortable. FIVE // We recently purchased a bunch of these for our carport tuned outdoor living area, and we l-o-v-e them. They look and smell like real candles and the remote feature is pretty handy.

Megan
    June 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Mechanical keyboards are soooo loud though, if you ever play games on your computer it sounds like you’re angry and pounding on your keys all the time!

Greg
      June 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm

As far as typing goes, if you can learn to not bottom out the keys, they’re not that much louder than a rubber dome keyboard. (As long as you’re not using a “clicky” switch, which is meant to be loud.)

For gaming, though, they’re definitely louder, since most gamers bottom the keys out on pretty much every stroke. If the sound annoys you, you can get O-rings (like these from WASD Keyboards) that really cut down on the bottoming-out noise. Personally, I love the sound, and Ash doesn’t mind it.

Mechanical keyboards are kind of like coffee for me. If I meet a person who says they don’t like coffee, I say, “You just haven’t tried the right coffee yet.” Mechanical keyboards are the same way. If you’re a touch typist that spends more than a few hours in front of a keyboard every day, it’s not a matter of liking them or not. It’s just a matter of finding the right one!

June 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Aww… You’re so dorky it’s cute : )

christina @ homemade ocean
      June 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm

You two are adorable!!!! Seriously….Greg’s response to Megan and the Ashley’s response to Greg….could it get any cuter 🙂

Megan
      June 5, 2013 at 3:19 am

Seriously, I will record him playing someday – he plays Dota2 at night and all I can hear is clickity clack! I like the sound when he’s just typing – just for gaming the mechanical keyboards drive me nuts. He uses a black widow, I use a microsoft sidewinder and I love it!

Greg
        June 5, 2013 at 11:40 am

The Razer Blackwidow (assuming it’s not the Stealth version) uses “clicky” switches, so that could be part of the racket. That said, while he’s typing, he’s might not be pressing the keys all the way down to where they hit the bottom of the board, so all you hear is a little high-pitched click on each keystroke. While gaming, most people bottom out the keys completely, which makes a much louder “clack” sound than the “click” I just described. If you think that might be the cause of the annoyance, he should definitely pick up a set of O-rings to try out.

The MS Sidewinder keyboards are pretty great, from what I’ve heard. It seems like most people who are buying new gaming keyboards nowadays are torn between them and a mechanical of some sort, so that’s a testament to their awesomeness. When it’s time for a new keyboard, though, you should definitely try going hands-on with a few mechanicals, if you can. The lighter keys and higher actuation point (mechanical keys “fire” about halfway down the keystroke) make them great for both gaming and typing.

Sorry for the novel, everybody! I’m a total geek about this stuff!

Alexa @ travelmiamor
    June 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm

cranberry lime aids are pretty awesome too!

Diana
    June 4, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Those remote candles are genius (albeit a touch pricy)! I wonder if you buy a bunch of sets if they will off the same remote.

Sarah
    June 4, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Aww man Greg, you’re really making me wish we had a Sonic around here….
    And Ashley, I love those postcards too – so cute!

Shawna @dakotacreekchic
    June 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Soo loving those remote candles!! Will they melt if heat gets high?

June 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I’m thinking if they are in direct sunlight they just might because it actually says they aren’t for outdoor use. So we just bring them out when we spend time outside or entertain.

Diana
    June 5, 2013 at 6:40 am

I just downloaded dots after reading this last night. I am hooked. I want to thank you, but know I will soon be addicted so I kind of hate you at the same time 😉

June 5, 2013 at 9:44 am

Haha! Welcome to the club!

Jaime
    June 5, 2013 at 8:56 am

I am SO obsessed with Dots! In fact, I forgot my phone at home this morning and my first thought was crap, I can’t play dots today while I should be working! 🙂

June 5, 2013 at 9:46 am

Haha!

Nicole A
    June 6, 2013 at 8:47 am

Ok…for the last two nights I have been dreaming about dots!!! Ahhh…which move next, how fast can I move my fingers, I need more squares! Lol. Just a few thoughts I have been having about this totally addictive game!

June 6, 2013 at 9:02 am

Hahaha!

Brittanie
    June 7, 2013 at 11:02 am

Ok, so both my 5 year old and I are addicted to the Dots game now! He seriously asks to play it every time we get in the car, and I love listening to him giggle at the sound effects. It’s just a matter of time before I convert my husband to the wonderful world of colorful dot connecting. I’ve needed a replacement for the horrible Candy Crush, and I’m thrilled with my new 5 minute ‘in-between-things’ game.
    I’m a bit of a newbie to your wonderful blog(3 months or so), but I have to say how much I love what you two do! The His + Her Favorite Things posts are definitely some of my favorites!

June 7, 2013 at 11:13 am

Aw, thanks so much!! We enjoy writing them : )