On the Set

ON THE SET: YOU’VE GOT MAIL

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

This week has been pretty slow around the house, but slow in a good way. My cousin, Brooke, has been staying with us, and we’ve been having fun hanging out, shopping, cooking, “Pinteresting” and the usual “girl stuff” like painting nails and talking. Tonight, we’re planning on having a movie night and watching You’ve Got Mail. She’s never seen it!

You’ve Got Mail is one of those “feel good movies” that you can watch over and over. I remember it being one of the first movies Greg and I watched together when we were dating. I couldn’t believe he hadn’t seen it before and insisted that he watch it. Despite the obvious “chick flick” status, he really liked it and it’s still one of our favorite movie night features.

In my book, You’ve Got Mail is a modern classic. For this edition of On the Set, we’re talking about Kathleen Kelly’s (played by Meg Ryan) brownstone apartment – which happens to be one of my top five favorite movie houses. It’s small (though not “small” as far as NYC apartments go), cozy and seems like the perfect kind of place to hang out with a good book when it’s raining outside.

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The overall style of her apartment is a bit shabby chic with touches of collected vintage here and there. It’s what I call “90’s Pottery Barn” but in a timeless, traditional way.

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

French doors, thick moldings, high ceilings, structural details and the vast amounts of built-ins are what makes this space so special. It has great “bones” and tons of unique character.

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The teal green and beige tile in the kitchen area, along with the double French glass doors, gives the space a definite vintage feel.

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I love the character in the doors and wall molding. I also really like the botanical prints on the wall behind the door. Which reminds me – we need more botanical prints in our lives. If I can’t keep plants alive, might as well have pictures of them, right?

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I’m not a fan of beds on an angle like this, but the comfy quilts and parquet floors make up for it.

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Later in the movie, the bed appears to be anchored on a wall (ahh, much better). I like how they used a good-sized table instead of a standard, small side table. That’s my cup of tea. Oh, and remember how Kathleen said she loves daisies? If you look closely in some scenes, you’ll notice a small daisy design in the bedding.

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Every time I watch this movie, I see something I haven’t noticed before. This time around, it was the haphazard arrangement of the wall art around the desk. It doesn’t make sense, but it totally works.

On the Set: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Aside from the overall charm of the “bones” of the apartment, my favorite thing about it is the abundance of built-in shelves – which seems really fitting for a book store owner, right?

Get the Look: You've Got Mail / 7thhouseontheleft.com

1. Botanical Prints  / 2. A “Bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils”
3. PB Basic Sofa / 4. Lots and lots of books
5. Medium-Toned Wood Furniture (similar) / 6. Pride & Prejudice
7. Balustrade Table Lamp / 8. Cameo Mirror / 9. Pewter Lodge Quilt

Now it’s your turn… what are some of your favorite movie houses?

kristen
    June 26, 2013 at 5:57 pm

i love that movie! my favorite part is, of course, the sing-along 🙂

the clarinet, the clarinet, goes doodle doodly doodly det… 🙂

greg kinnear cracks me up.

Kristen
      June 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

Our family sings that song every Christmas now because of the movie. It’s hilarious!

Megan
    June 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

This is one of my favorite all time movies. My husband likes it too because there’s enough non-chick flick type stuff going on…. Like all the crazy stuff with the guys.

Mandy
    June 26, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I just found your blog a few days ago, but after this post, I think I’m in love! LOL 😀 You’ve got mail is one of my all time favorite movies (probably only second to Sleepless in Seattle…apparently I have a thing for Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan). I never thought much about the decor in her apartment, but I love how you analyzed it and the board you came up with. Looking forward to many more posts!

Maria
    June 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Oh this movie! Such a heart-warmer. Late last year, I couldn’t sleep because I was having job issues (a la Kathleen) and popped this movie in at 4am. Was exactly what I needed 🙂

And yes, her apartment is a dream. It makes New York look…friendly!

Jen @ The Well Read Fish
    June 26, 2013 at 11:18 pm

LOVE this movie. I’m from the Upper West Side so I always watch it to feel at home. (I now live in Seattle.) What a fun post!

Sue
    June 27, 2013 at 12:25 am

I love this movie! Im also glad Im not the only one who watches it over and over again and studies the set !! hahaha ! You captured one of my favorite scenes, when she sits against the wall with a bowl of soup, with a towel under it, because the bowl is too hot, I DO THIS !!! I enjoy your blog, thanks !!

Magali
    June 27, 2013 at 5:52 am

Hi!

It’s funny you should mention You’ve Got Mail today because I watched it yesterday exactly for the same reason as you! It’s one of my favourite films and I love her apartment too!!

Magali

Evelina Micall
    June 27, 2013 at 6:58 am

This is one of my favorite feel good movies! Anyway, I admire how you notice the style including furniture of the apartment. I also like the built-in shelves. I would like to have that in our master’s bedroom.

Kristin @ bliss-athome.com
    June 27, 2013 at 8:44 am

One of my fave movies of all-time. And that apartment I have always enjoyed seeing on screen. How fun! xo Kristin

Maureen
    June 27, 2013 at 10:52 am

You’ve Got Mail is one of my all time favs as well! I have always loved that apartment, too. Remember the sushi poster in the kitchen and that little table under the window? Love it.

June 27, 2013 at 11:28 am

Yes! Love those types of touches.

Kristen
    June 27, 2013 at 11:34 am

It’s not a movie, but I love Snow and Emma’s shared apartment on Once Upon a Time. I love all the rustic, quirky details and all the splashes of unexpected color! I also am fascinated by Regina’s mansion, though it’s not exactly my style!

Andrea
    June 27, 2013 at 11:35 am

One of the best movies, hands down. I love Meg Ryan, and Tom Hanks for that matter. This movie and Sleepless in Seattle are my favorites. I might have to watch one of them today!

I never noticed the differences in her apartment, like the quilt being different. I think her apartment fit her personality, kind of scattered but warm and fuzzy.

Elizabeth
    June 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This is my all time favorite “need to take my mind off my troubles” movie. I love it beyond the scope of how much one should love a movie. Ha!

I love her apartment…and the modem sound of hooking up to the internet. 🙂

Emily aka The Three Bite Rule
    June 27, 2013 at 1:04 pm

This is AWESOME! I love how homey her place feels. I also like her apt’s contrast to Tom Hanks’. Are you doing his next?

Erin
      July 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I love Tom Hanks’ apartment in the movie. 🙂 Would love to see this one, as well.

Allison
    June 27, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I love this movie! It is actually a remake of the 1940 movie with Jimmy Stewart called “The Shop Around the Corner”! It’s a must-see.

Colleen Kirby
      June 28, 2013 at 2:48 am

Thanks I did not know that!

Mandy Grimes
    June 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I don’t have a favorite set, but why in the heck have I never thought to look at movie sets for home inspiration! Awesome job! Is it bad that the stuff seems like it is a bit vintage(ish) and its only from the 90’s?!?!?

June 27, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Hahaha!

Lauren
    June 27, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Just found yor blog and I love that someone else is as obsessed with set design as I am! I think I focus on it as much, if not more than the movie itself!

Darnetha @ ChippaSunshine
    June 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I love You Got Mail! “Don’t you think daisies are the friendliest flowers?” I just found your blog through iHeart Organizing! One of my favorite movie houses besides Father of the Bride is It’s Complicated. Loved her garden!

Becca
    June 27, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I’m not a big fan of the main character but when my cousin convinced me to watch it . I think
    I’m he number 1 fan of them. They look good together in this movie.

Colleen Kirby
    June 28, 2013 at 2:46 am

That is my favorite “pick me up’ movie, I love Tom Hanks calling her a ‘pill.’ Thanks for the photos, I love the apt. front and the the whole journey of the movie, career and relationship changes, the way Tom Hanks becomes Kathleen Kelly’s friend in order to win her heart. My whole style of decorating has changed in two months of Pinning, lol and it makes me laugh now at how she could sneek online to see if she had mail and I look forward to see what someone likes of my pins. What a great cast, Greg Kinnear and Dabney Coleman also perfect.

Allison
    July 2, 2013 at 10:20 am

Diane Keaton’s beach house in “Something’s Gotta Give” is my ultimate dream home. All the white and all the windows! So beautiful!

Lynsey
    July 2, 2013 at 10:58 am

I love your blog!!!! And this post!!!
    My fav movie house Big!! Hello a NY apartment Loft filled with toys! What What!

Anna
    July 4, 2013 at 11:09 am

Have you seen “The Shop Around the Corner” or “In the Good Old Summertime”? They are both predecessors to the above film. The first is the original with Jimmy Stewart & the second is a musical with Judy Garland. I don’t think I’ve seen the musical but I have seen the other.

July 4, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I’ve seen Shop Around the Corner, but not the musical. I’ll have to look it up! : )

Jill
    July 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I love Vince Vaugh & Jennifer Aniston’s condo in The Breakup.

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating
    July 14, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I’m usually multi-tasking when watching shows or movies on the TV (we never go to an actual theater!), so I rarely notice the decor details. Maybe I need to put down my computer and pay attention!

Jana
    September 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

HI!

Thanks for this post. I love this film since my 12 years and I watch it every time I feel blue or when I am ill. I always wanted to have a place to stay like this, so, again, thanks for the post and for the photos 🙂 Huh, in fact I read Pride and Prejudice just because of this film 🙂

Felicia
    May 16, 2014 at 12:18 am

Im watching the movie as I type!! 🙂 Someone wrote that this movie was adapted from the 1940s movie, “The shop around the corner”,with James Stuart. There is a sign on the piano that reads the same!!! It is the scene where Tom Hanks character brings Meg Ryan’s character daisies while she is sick. Pure genius!!!!!!! Luv it!

May 16, 2014 at 12:30 am

Yes, I’ve seen that film. It’s great – gotta love James Stuart.

B
      May 26, 2014 at 7:16 pm

The sign on the piano was from Kathleen’s bookshop called “The Shop Around the Corner” — she had a lot of items that were in the shop in her home after she closed the store. If you have the DVD, watch the director’s commentary. Nora Ephron explains how they tied the film to the 1940’s predecessor. I just watched it, too. Totally enchanted!

Kristen Walton
    May 30, 2014 at 1:25 am

I have fallen in LOVE with Neal Caffrey’s apartment on “White Collar”. It is amazing! Thought you might want to have a look!

May 30, 2014 at 8:22 am

Yes! That’s one of my favorites too!

Holly
    April 2, 2015 at 11:54 am

Do any of you I now where I can find a quilt like the one in the movie? That gorgeous colors in the pinwheel. I have been looking for a quilt just liked hat on and cannot find it.

July 2, 2016 at 7:22 pm