Happy Weekend

When Greg and I first got married, we lived in an apartment directly across one of the biggest shopping malls in the area (Short Pump Mall, for you locals). It wasn’t downtown Richmond, but it still had a little bit of a “mini city” feel. We were seconds away from Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Urban Outfitters, J Crew, Nordstrom, Cheesecake Factory and our favorite restaurant, Baker’s Crust. Sure, there was a lot of hustle and bustle – especially around the holidays – but we loved every second of it. There was always something going on. We never had to wonder what we would do on a Friday night, and it was great entertainment for friends/family who stayed with us. If we wanted to check out the latest sofa design at Pottery Barn, we just had to take a 30-second car ride (the 8-lane super-busy road was way too hectic for walking – at least for me because I’m chicken).

Happy Weekend / 7th House on the Left

When we moved from “the busy” to “the burbs”, even though we were head over heels for the house we were buying, we weren’t too sure how we were going to like living in the middle of “Civil War Country”. We’d grown accustomed to – and had ultimately fallen in love with – the busy streets and the extra 10 or 15 minutes it took just to get on the interstate. I think in the back of our heads, we were hoping we’d eventually learn to love the new, less-busy surroundings, but we weren’t promising ourselves anything.

It has definitely taken us a while to realize how much we’ve grown to love the quiet street where we’ve lived for the past three years.

I was driving home the other day from Home Goods (which is about a 20-minute drive from our house, just a block or two from our old apartment) and was waiting at the stop light near our neighborhood. I looked over to my right and realized how utterly awesome and beautiful our surroundings really are. And it just hit me… I love where we live. That’s when I took the Instagram photo above, while sitting at the stop light.Β We can be in downtown Richmond in 10 minutes, at Anthropologie and Restoration Hardware in 20, historical Civil War battlefields in 5, church in 2 and Target in 7. For us, that’s the perfect combination of awesomeness.

I totally didn’t intend for his “Happy Weekend” post to turn into an “Ode to Hanover”, but I guess it kind of is. I’m not going to say we’re never going to leave, because chances are, we will probably move on down the road. But for now, we’re really enjoying it while we’re here, and we’re learning to take in the sights as we go. Happy weekend, everyone!

July 12, 2013 at 11:26 am

Beautiful shot of your neighborhood!!!! Have a great weekend!!! πŸ˜‰

July 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

UM, you should totally print/frame that shot. Cell phone photo or not, it’s perfect!!

Meghan B
    July 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

I agree! I want a copy too! haha
    Happy weekend to you too!

July 12, 2013 at 11:32 am

What a cute post! Hope you two have a great weekend.

July 12, 2013 at 11:55 am

Such a beautiful photo! I don’t regret moving from “the busy” to “the burbs,” either. πŸ™‚

Blessed Bashert

July 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Love that photo! I’m the same way – lived in the Fan for years, then moved back to Ashland and it’s surprising how much I do love it πŸ™‚ Although, maybe if Target were just a liiiiiitle farther away, I wouldn’t spend so much money there!

July 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Haha, same here! Can’t. Stay. Away.

Noel M
    July 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

From a “grown in Mechanicsville” girl – I totally appreciate this post. I went away to college and lived else-where for 12 years, until my husband got a job here last year. I always get my breath back when I can drive the back roads of Hanover, but really appreciate the closeness to the city and the peace of our little slice of earth outside it. Cheers to enjoying the simple things πŸ™‚ (Like the Tomato Festival tomorrow!)

July 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Yesss! We’re hoping to make it to the Tomato Festival too. Hope the rain holds off!

July 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I went to school at RMC so I know exactly what you’re talking about. The back country roads in Hanover are so nice to drive through.

Kristin F
    July 12, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I know what you mean. I lived in Richmond, then Mechanicsville, for almost 20 years. We’re in Columbia, SC now and though this is a similar town (capital city, university, river(s)) it just doesn’t compare to how I feel about Richmond. Unfortunately, I’m the only one in the house that would move back up “North” in a heartbeat! When we moved to M’ville from the city (we were in Bellevue) there was NO Target, Old Navy, the shops on Pole Green, Hanover Memorial, or any of those…though they were added during our time there. The only thing I will say is I rarely “crossed the river”—Southside is NOT convenient to get to if you live in the West End or in Hanover. I have close friends who live on that side of the river and they’d always give me a hard time for not wanting to travel even as far as Bon Air!

July 12, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Beautiful post! I grew up in Mechanicsville and visit often, it really is a wonderful place!

July 13, 2013 at 11:04 am

Amen, sister! As someone who grew up in Hanover and misses it every day, this post was awesome. It’s a wonderful place with wonderful people.

July 13, 2013 at 4:24 pm

What a beautiful post and photo! We so often strive for bigger and better it is lovely to hear you say that you are happy and content. I’ll have to bookmark this post to remind myself to appreciate my own surroundings more often. Thank you!

Nicky Dowsett
    July 14, 2013 at 4:42 am

Wow! I love the photo. BTW, I would like to visit the historical civil war battlefields before the end of the year because I will write something about it. Anyway, Happy weekend! πŸ™‚

Stephanie @ simplebees.blogspot.com
    July 14, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I do miss the winding country roads of Hanover… Mechanicsville was “home” for about 2 years.. it’s special.

Janette Emerson
    July 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I guess you’re having a great weekend right now. BTW,that photo is beautiful. My grandparents lives in Mechanicsville so I also visit that place. πŸ™‚

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating
    July 14, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Great way to look at things. Growing up, I told my mom I never wanted to live more than 10 minutes from a mall. I grew up in the city, whereas some of my extended family was more in the country. They used to call driving to the nearest chain restaurant or mall “going to town” and that always cracked me up.

We’re the opposite of you at this time in our lives. We live out in suburbia, or rather, at the crossroads of suburban/rural. I can’t wait until a couple years from now when my son graduates from high school and we can leave the school district for somewhere where we can be within the hustle and bustle. I look forward to walking to places rather than having to drive 10-30 minutes!

Karin K
    July 15, 2013 at 8:29 am

I used to live in Short Pump in the late ’80’s/early ’90’s, and the funny thing is, back then it looked just like your picture of Hanover. The only thing on Broad Street I would pass on my way to the interstate was a gas station/country market with a plane sticking out of the roof (for kitsch). They sold awesome breakfast food to go. Other than that – all fields. When I saw the new Short Pump for the first time, I almost fell over.