I’ve always had a thing for patio lights. I love them. The soft, warm light they cast off makes everything look better and they’re just… happy.
I mean, come on. Who doesn’t love a few strands of patio lights? Let’s just call them “happy lights”. Okay, that’s really annoying. I promise this will be the only post in which I call them that.
Last Fall, we bought 4 boxes of these globe string lights for the carport. We ended up hanging them around the perimeter of the ceiling. We never blogged about it because the ceiling was just plain ugly, and we wanted to do something about the dangling cord in the corner before we called it “done”. Despite the ugly ceiling and dangling cord, we loved the look of them at night and definitely wanted to incorporate them in our new carport-turned-covered patio project. So now that the ceiling has been planked and the main light fixture has been installed, it’s finally time to put these babies back where they belong – but this time they’ll be hanging with style.
During the ceiling makeover process, Greg installed a receptacle for the string lights in the ceiling so we wouldn’t have any wires hanging down. We wanted the receptacle to be out of sight as much as possible, so we tucked it into the corner close to the fireplace.
To make it even less noticeable, we installed a dark brown plate and receptacle.
We searched high and low for black or oil rubbed bronze hooks. After searching three stores, all we found were white and gold. We grabbed two packages of white hooks (about 48 hooks total) and a can of black Rust-Oleum Universal All Surface spray paint. I started laying out the hooks on a used mailing box to get them ready for their spray paint makeover and then I got smart… poke them in the box to make them easier to spray paint. Duh.
Greg made a pilot hole into the planks using the drill then screwed in each hook. To prevent the string lights from sagging and looking “droopy”, he put a hook in the ceiling about every foot so they’d be nice and tight. In the interest of making the lights nice and tight, he also took up the tiny bit of slack that was left and used a wire tie to bundle it up.
Once all of the hooks were up, time for the lights! This part is pretty self explanatory – Greg just hung the wires from the hooks one by one until he made his way all around the carport and back to the receptacle. A few hours later, once the sun had set…
Really, it looks so much better in person, but I’m hoping to get some better photos of them at night as we make more progress with the whole project. Also, excuse the look of the floor and the painting supplies on the steps. The floor has primer on it, and we’re waiting for it to dry before we can go ahead with the paint. More on that later this week.
Once we dress up our up-cycled roadside table find over on the adjoining uncovered patio with some chairs (and maybe an umbrella), we’re going to add more patio lights, stringing them from the house to the carport to give the area more of a look like the first picture in this post. It will make grilling and entertaining outside that much more fun. Yay for progress!
First patio light image from here.