Carport + Patio DIY Decor

YET ANOTHER DIY SUCCULENT GARDEN

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I started having a “thing” for succulents when I went to LA last year. After our vacation there earlier this year, I came home and put together a succulent terrarium (check out that post here).

Succulent Terrarium / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Well, lo and behold, it’s been seven months and I haven’t killed them. Aren’t ya’ll proud of me?! I’m celebrating my achievement with yet another succulent arrangement. This time around, I’m making one for the coming-together, soon-to-be-done covered patio.

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

A few months ago, I found this aqua decorative bowl at Target (in the home section). The second I saw it, it screamed “succulents!”. No, really. It did. Being the last one on the shelf, I quickly snatched it up. I’ve been holding onto it ever since, and now that the covered patio project is near its end, it’s high time to fill her up.

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Sunday afternoon, Greg and I took a trip to the hardware store – for the fourth time that weekend, I might add. While Greg was over in the plumbing section to get something for the patio, I was in the garden section picking out some succulents for my prized decorative bowl find. I picked out four large (ish) succulents and four sets of “mini” succulents for filler. I also bought a bag of potting soil specifically for cactus plants and succulents.

I originally planned on putting the succulent dish together outside – the less mess the better – but Greg was getting ready to sand and re-stain the top of our SemiDIY outdoor console table. (Back when we built that ridiculously large Christmas TV, I spilled some paint on the top, and we’re just now getting around to repairing the damage.) Since the outdoor work table was being used, I mentioned to Greg that I was going to head inside to put it together. Before I got a chance to lay everything out, I ran into the laundry room to switch the clothes over and came back to the dining room looking like this…

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Isn’t that sweet? I particularly pointed out the vast amounts of paper towels he used to lay out my “succulent potting station”. Apparently, he thought I was going to make a mess or something.

Succulent Terrarium / 7thhouseontheleft.com

As you can see from the above Instagram photo, I did indeed make a mess. A big one. Believe it or not, I didn’t get any dirt on a non-paper toweled surface – thanks to the roll Greg used to cover everything in sight.

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Before the dirt started flying, I put the succulents in the bowl in their original containers to kind of get an idea of where I wanted things to go. I started out with about an inch of potting soil on the bottom of the bowl and started placing the succulents in one by one.

I don’t have many “progress photos” because a) it’s pretty self-explanatory – you just play around with the placement until it looks right and b) my hands were covered in dirt and Greg was outside working on the table. Dirty hands and cameras/phones just don’t go well together.

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

One thing I learned during my last experience with potting succulents is that it’s really important to pack down the soil. I read in Martha Stewart Living that it’s important to do this to prevent air pockets forming in the soil – which isn’t good for plants. For a more scientific reason, you can check out this video.

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

After I was all finished, I took my new succulent garden out to it’s new home on the coffee table in the covered patio. I love bringing some green into the space by way of real green (as opposed to plastic green). It softens things up and makes everything even more cozy.

DIY Succulent Dish / 7thhouseontheleft.com

You’d think two succulent arrangements for our house would be enough, but who am I kidding? Next up, a succulent arrangement for my office! Just kidding. Or maybe not ; )

Hannah K.
    August 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

Love! I have been really wanting to make a terrarium, but I have such bad luck with live plants I’ve been putting it off. How often/much do you water? Any tips for keeping it alive?

August 7, 2013 at 10:43 am

The watering depends on how dry/humid the air is where you keep it but I basically ignore them and lightly water every three weeks or so. So far, so good! You basically can’t kill them… Aka, my kind of plant ; )

Sarabeth
    August 7, 2013 at 10:55 am

Fun project! I have just one little succulent in my living room, but I love how much more lively it makes everything to have something that is actually alive! πŸ™‚

Megan @ The Brick Bungalow
    August 7, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I LOVE succulents! We had a rock garden a few years ago (before my daughter was born and time was available) and I miss it. I’ve added touches throughout my flower gardens (sedums are great if you haven’t gotten into them) and have succulents in my house too. Here’s what I had… http://thebrickbungalow.blogspot.com/2012/06/garden.html … it was so nice and not at all like the giant, overgrown mess that happened this summer. Do NOT get prickly pear cactus as that stuff expands and multiples like crazy. We’re about to finally get rid of all of it for good now that we have another kiddo on the way. Great container too! I think that might be one of the best parts… finding good containers!

August 7, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Ooh, good to know! Thanks!
      And congrats on the new kiddo on the way!! : )

[email protected]_Brooklyn_Fig
    August 7, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Wow what a great idea! It’s so cool that you have that “eye” and saw the bowl at Target and knew just the use for it. I need to work on that.
    When I think of succulents, I typically think California. Since I live in Jersey, it’s never really crossed my mind to plant any. But this is a great idea to bring that west coast feeling to the east in a lovely bowl. Now, off to Target. hehe

caroline
    August 7, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I love the succulents in that fantastic bowl!!! I love the
    little peek at the new patio area too!!!! Can’t wait to see all
    of it… πŸ™‚

Kate
    August 7, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I have a hoard of succulents in my kitchen window that make me feel all ‘green thumbey’…so one day I decided to do exactly what you did in this post.

All dead. For real – how does that happen? My pride was damaged.

But now, perhaps, I have something to blame it on. DARN YOU AIR POCKETS!!! *whispers* Darn you.

πŸ˜‰

August 8, 2013 at 1:32 am

Bahahahaha!

anne @wit wisdom and food
    August 7, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I am starting to appreciate their stay power (aka i can’t kill them) as well. Yours turned out lovely.

jen
    August 8, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I do fine with houseplants normally…then I picked up a little planter of succulents from Lowes…they started dying as soon I brought them home! Leaves falling off, getting squishy. It was awful! I have no idea what I did. πŸ™

August 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Oh no! You should take them back because they have a plant life guarantee. I’ve heard they are really easy to overwater. Maybe that’s it?

Ramona
    August 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Yep, loving the succulents also. We found a tree stump that someone was getting rid of and it was perfect for an arrangement (outside that is). I used an old toy tonka dump truck for another. Ridiculously easy, and they look awesome. Something you might consider…..little pebbles in between some of the plants. Looks good also.

Jessica
    August 10, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Too funny…I also created this terrarium after seeing yours and moving into an apartment where I could finally display more plants. I was going to ask if yours has held up. Some of my succulents are expanding and getting cramped in there! I also live in a humid climate so the top of the soil is growing a little fungus. As a fellow plant killer, I guess I should be happy they are still alive haha!

August 11, 2013 at 9:32 am

Congrats on your lively plants, haha! : )

Margaret
    August 19, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Succulents rock! I seriously have like 8 potted succulents that I’ve had for over a year now and all are alive doing awesome! I even transplanted one that was getting a bit big and that is still alive too! I’ve never been a plant person but have always likes succulents but never thought I’d be able to have one and keep it alive. I have about 15 I need to pot sitting in my kitchen. Left over favors from a baby shower I hosted. Can’t wait to tend to them. I think a terrarium is needed in this case don’t ya think?! πŸ™‚ Gotta get on that asap!